PDA

View Full Version : When did the first tooth arrive?

trcy
10-21-2011, 04:00 PM
DD is about 10 mo old and still no teeth. I know the ped said anytime between 6-12 months is normal for the first tooth to show up, but still I worry a little. It doesn't help that every other baby seems to have gotten a tooth by now. And my mother asks almost daily "Any teeth yet?" I guess I am hoping some of you also have late teethers.

mackmama
10-21-2011, 04:05 PM
DC's first tooth was at 5mo when two actually sprouted at the same time. DC is 9mo now and has 3 teeth. Have you discussed your concern with your pedi? I think stuff like teeth varies so much. Talk to your pedi then politely ask your mom to stop asking. :)

BigDog
10-21-2011, 04:39 PM
DS1's first tooth was at 16 mos, no joke. At his 12 mo checkup, the ped said if he still didn't have any by 14 mos then to take him to a ped dentist. 14 mos came around and still no teeth so I took him to the dentist. She said she could see them up in his gums and not to worry, they're just taking their good ol' time. They finally appeared at 16 mos. He was so old at that point that teething was a breeze.

With DS2 we were expecting the same thing and the first two popped through at 6 mos, to our surprise. He's now 13 mos, covered in drool and miserable on a daily basis!

Definitely do not worry over this. Your DD will get them when she gets them, it's totally normal.

MamaMolly
10-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Lula was 11 months and 19 days. Not that I was counting ;) Like you, every baby around us had tons by then. Drove me bonkers. Your DD will get them when she gets them.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-21-2011, 04:47 PM
DS got his first two teeth at 5 months. At 7mos i think he got 3 more. Then more started coming in..by 14 mo he had 16 teeth.

DD is 7.5 mos and has no teeth at all yet!

Kymberley
10-21-2011, 04:47 PM
5 months, last molars in at 1 year. Some children don't get their first tooth until after they are a year old, some are even older. Don't fret! They'll come in!

nfowife
10-21-2011, 04:54 PM
Both my older kids didn't get teeth until about a week before the first birthday. My youngest has the 2 bottom ones coming in now, she is 10 months. It's been about 2 weeks since I saw the first one pop through.

Tondi G
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
don't worry ... let em stay in the gums... less time for them to get potential decay/cavities!! Both of my boys got their first 2 bottom teeth around 6 months or so ... then it took forever for their tops teeth to come in!

hoodlims
10-21-2011, 05:01 PM
4.5 months, got 2 teeth at once. Had about 8 teeth by 8 months, and practically all but a couple of molars by 15 months.

EVERY kid is different. I have known kids who didn't get teeth until they were 12 months and beyond. It is hereditary, you might want to ask the grandparents when you guys got your teeth.

To put in in perspective, how many kindergarteners have you seen with only 4 teeth? No worries, they will all get them at some point!

veronica
10-21-2011, 05:08 PM
DD-7 months
ODS-4 months (4 teeth in the same week)
Twin1-4 months (one tooth so far and no drool)
Twin 2- nothing right now...and lots of drool

it varies, I wouldn't worry

trcy
10-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Thank you!!! I feel better knowing there are others out there with no teeth at her age.

ilfaith
10-21-2011, 05:38 PM
DS1 and DS3 got their first teeth at about 9 months.

DS2, on the other hand, didn't get his first tooth until he turned 13 months...and then his two top teeth came in before the ones on the bottom.

marymoo86
10-21-2011, 05:43 PM
About 10.5 months and now I see 5more :47:

KLD313
10-21-2011, 06:08 PM
My DD was about 10 mos old. I was worried too, my ped said it was unusual but not abnormal.

Seitvonzu
10-21-2011, 07:11 PM
my niece was TWENTY ONE months .... so-- yeah. it can be really late. she's fine now. and was a very clear talker. my child was over 10 months for sure.... don't fret!

Tinkerbell313
10-21-2011, 08:23 PM
DD7 had her 1st tooth at 2 months with the next tooth coming in the next day.

DS5 had 8 teeth by 3 months.

g-mama
10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
My middle ds got his first tooth at 16 months and my third ds got his first at 14 months.

People used to ask me "are you worried?" and I thought it was kind of crazy, truthfully. Worried about what? That he doesn't have any teeth??

It didn't affect their ability to eat any sorts of table food in the least - meat included.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-21-2011, 10:01 PM
ok i was thinking about this again tonight as i put DD (who has no teeth yet) to bed...

no teeth = no toothbrushing!! :boogie: i swear, dealing with brushing an infant's teeth was always a PITA (even if they're compliant, you have to remember to do it everyday). so with no teeth, that's one less thing you have to worry about!! :)

BabyH
10-21-2011, 10:09 PM
3 months old. No one believed me until they saw them, but the bottom two were there. He had the first year molars at 8 months old.

It was funny because he wasn't smiling or chewing on anything, so he totally didn't understand how to use teethers. But I also think being an early teether contributed to him dropping the pacifier (he dropped it at 5 months) because one day he just refused it and never took it again.

kara97210
10-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Both kids got them almost overnight between 5-6 months. With my DD I got a big unpleasant surprise when she was feeding one morning. I wouldn't worry too much about no teeth at 10 months.

nmosur
10-26-2011, 10:35 PM
DD has two top teeth come out the same day when when was around 18 months old. The teeth were under her gums and I could feel them with my fingers. Once the first two popped out, the others came out pretty fast.

kijip
10-27-2011, 02:13 AM
My middle ds got his first tooth at 16 months and my third ds got his first at 14 months.

People used to ask me "are you worried?" and I thought it was kind of crazy, truthfully. Worried about what? That he doesn't have any teeth??

It didn't affect their ability to eat any sorts of table food in the least - meat included.

:yeahthat:

T was past 15 month, close to 16, F was on the early side for my family...early as in 13 months old.

It is extremely rare, to the point of being nearly unheard of, for kids to not be born with teeth. Late teething is better for reducing cavity risk since there is less tim for them to decay before most parents start taking brushing seriously. Toothless kids can eat anything IME. It is not a big deal.

Honestly the only downside is that I have an 8 year old whose teeth have not yet fallen out and he is too old to buy my tooth fairy story. He has some stubborn loose ones that we are going to have the dentist pull to make room for the adult teeth that have started to push in.

elephantmeg
10-27-2011, 02:35 AM
11+ months for each. I think they each had a tooth (barely) at their first birthday