PDA

View Full Version : use or toss?

Tondi G
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a boxed dry mix for making pumpkin bread/muffins from Trader Joes. On the bottom of the box it's stamped Sell By 3/2011 ... so it's 6 months after it's SELL BY date. Should I toss it or use it? I have a new box I just purchased ... would hate to waste the eggs and oil but do you think it would be bad?

I remember reading a story about someone getting really sick or dying cause they used old Bisquick or some kind of mix so it made me think when I found this and saw the date.

what would you do, keep or toss?

eh613c
10-21-2011, 05:00 PM
I think we read the same article regarding the Bisquick. I think it has something to do with yeast(?) Anyway, I say toss it just to be safe.

MamaMolly
10-21-2011, 05:01 PM
I'd totally use it. Sounds yummy!

gobadgers
10-21-2011, 05:38 PM
I'd use it! Quick!

mjs64
10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
I don't think there's any chance it will make you sick. The leaveners (baking powder/soda) might be a little old, so you might not get as much rise as you want, but for your purposes (bread/muffins), that should be okay. Use. Anyhow, as you imply in your OP, "sell by" differs from "use by." Should be more than fine. I can't imagine there's yeast in the mix, and dry active yeast keeps for a really long time. Water activates it. I'll have to look for this Bisquick article. I'm suspicious.

YouAreTheFocus
10-21-2011, 05:53 PM
I would use a dry mix 6 mos past the sell by date w/o hesitation. Old Bisquick might be more concerning b/c it has fat incorporated into the mix (so could go rancid).

mctlaw
10-21-2011, 06:50 PM
I would totally use that!

Smillow
10-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I would use it and not worry - the mix is sealed in a plastic bag inside the box. The bisquik story was about an old opened box.

Rainbows&Roses
10-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Nope, I would toss it. I believe the bisquick story had to do with moldy flour. Unless you have been keeping it in a cool place, the flour may have gone bad.