PDA

View Full Version : Recs for nice plastic dishes for the family?

MomToOne
10-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I want to switch from ceramic dishware to plastic - or at least non-breakable. My reasoning is just giving DD more responsibility with the dishes - clearing her plate, helping wash and dry them. She has some kid dishes but they're oddly shaped and I kind of just want to get away from kidware. Also all of our grown-up dishes are chipped and they're heavy and...I just feel like a change. So where can I get an affordable dinner for four type of set? Thanks.

Dr C
10-21-2011, 08:52 PM
Not plastic (perhaps that's best of all), but I've been delighted with corelle for the kids, along with duralex picardie glasses. They've been dropped plenty of times on our wood kitchen floor and also in our sink (which is a very hard composite material) and I've yet to have one break. I feel totally comfortable having the kids clear their own plates (well DS, anyway--DD isn't quite there yet).
Plus, I LOVE the way corelle plates/bowls stack in the cabinets without taking a ton of space. Can't say that for any of our other dishes!

Indianamom2
10-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Not plastic (perhaps that's best of all), but I've been delighted with corelle for the kids, along with duralex picardie glasses. They've been dropped plenty of times on our wood kitchen floor and also in our sink (which is a very hard composite material) and I've yet to have one break. I feel totally comfortable having the kids clear their own plates (well DS, anyway--DD isn't quite there yet).
Plus, I LOVE the way corelle plates/bowls stack in the cabinets without taking a ton of space. Can't say that for any of our other dishes!

:yeahthat:

linsei
10-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Not plastic, but we love Corelle dishes too! It was important for me to have something break resistant that the kids could set the table and carry to the dishwasher. I also have them unload the dishwasher sometimes. Ours are plain and simple, but they have some in patterns. I didn't want the kids to chip our Phaltzgraff dishes that we had been using, and I didn't want plastic.

Like already mentioned, I love that they stack compactly.

new_mommy25
10-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I agree with the Corolle. That's what we used for years when I was growing up. THe only downside is that when they do finally break, they shatter into a million pieces!

Kymberley
10-22-2011, 07:58 AM
I agree with the Corolle. That's what we used for years when I was growing up. THe only downside is that when they do finally break, they shatter into a million pieces!

:yeahthat: And there have been about 5 Corolle dishes broken on our ceramic tile kitchen floor this year. Such a PITA.

Melaine
10-22-2011, 08:01 AM
I would also recommend Corolle, or just finding ceramic dishes so inexpensive that you don't care if they break. Our dishes are from Target and I don't think the girls have ever dropped any. If they did it wouldn't matter. They clear the table and unload the dishwasher frequently.
I would never use plastic because of the chemicals and leaching. I also have a few stainless steel divided plates that are nice for when we go out to the picnic table or eat outside.

hellokitty
10-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Another vote for corelle. My kids and husband are all clumsy. The corelle has withstood their butterfingers.

MomToOne
10-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks! I will look into the Corelle & Duralex :thumbsup:

JBaxter
10-22-2011, 09:48 AM
We all use fiesta ware. They seem to be pretty hardy unless you knock one out of the cabinet to the granite counter. A 3 yr old dropping it into the sink isnt an issue