PDA

View Full Version : Wow, anyone ever heard of Books For Treats?

essnce629
10-22-2011, 05:48 AM
I just saw someone mention this on FB. I googled it and sounds like a super cool thing to do at Halloween. You can collect books all year at thrift stores, library book sales, garage sales, your own bookshelves, etc and then hand them out instead of candy. I think I want to do this next year!

Here's the website: http://booksfortreats.org/

And the kit that shows you how to get everything organized: http://www.booksfortreats.org/BFT_downloadable_kit.pdf

kristac
10-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Fun! Thanks for sharing!

zoestargrove
10-22-2011, 08:31 AM
neat! I love that idea too

that is a great idea until it catches on and then trick-or-treaters will have to carry the rolling type of luggage to haul all those books around the neighborhood. :)

JTsMom
10-22-2011, 08:46 AM
I would be over the moon if someone gave my kids a book instead of candy! They would love it too, especially since they can't eat any of the typical candies.

BabyMine
10-22-2011, 10:51 AM
neat! I love that idea too

that is a great idea until it catches on and then trick-or-treaters will have to carry the rolling type of luggage to haul all those books around the neighborhood. :)

Then I couldn't take out my snickers and reese's PB. :(

Globetrotter
10-22-2011, 12:22 PM
I love the idea for the little ones.

One guy in our neighborhood hands out toothbrushes :jammin: The kids always groan and it's a big joke, BUT guess what? They get used for sleepovers, etc..!

94bruin
10-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Actually there is one house in our neighborhood that supposedly does this. I didn't know about it last year but we ran into one of DD1's classmate last year and they told us about it on the way home. We'll have to stop by that court this year to see if they are still doing it.

katydid1971
10-22-2011, 01:35 PM
I like this idea, I want to try for next year. I think I might get a count of ages of kids that come this year to help my planning.

hellokitty
10-22-2011, 01:49 PM
I really love that idea, I'm such a book freak. HOWEVER, I have one of those DHs who thinks that if we don't give candy, and not just any candy, but the, "good" stuff (which to him, means only chocolate), then our house will be egged, lol. He'd never be on board with giving away books instead of candy, BUT I would give extra bonus points to any parents who did it.

Melaine
10-22-2011, 04:23 PM
I would love it, my kids would love it, but I think a lot of people are snobs about used books.

essnce629
10-22-2011, 04:35 PM
I would love it, my kids would love it, but I think a lot of people are snobs about used books.

But you'd only be giving away books that were in good condition-- no ripped pages, coloring on the pages, scribbling inside, musty odor, etc. I've bought used books at the thirft store before in excellent condition for just $0.25 to $0.50. If the parents don't like it then they can skip your house!

essnce629
10-22-2011, 04:39 PM
I think I might get a count of ages of kids that come this year to help my planning.

Definately. We moved into this house around last Thanksgiving so I have no idea how many kids come through here. There are at least 12 kids just on our little block though-- ages 2-12.

Melarina
10-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Love this idea. Also, you can get cute books at Target dollar spot for 25 cents when it goes to 75% clearance.

Found some neat hardcover books at Big Lots for 80 cents during their 20% off coupon day a couple weeks back.

BayGirl2
10-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Love this. But since we have 50+ kids come to our house and I don't typically go to yard sales or 2nd hand stores it would probably be a lot of work. Wish they sold packs of books at Costco the way they sell play doh.