PDA

View Full Version : M's dx is ADHD, inattentive type.

BabyMine
10-22-2011, 10:40 AM
We finally received his results from the Neuropsychologist and I am so happy.
I hope that doesn't sound weird that I am happy he has it but it opens up doors so that we can get him help. He already attends a school that only deals with children that have AD/HD and other learning disabilities and I have seen a phenomenal academic/behavior change. A lot has to do with his class size of 6 and that his teacher specializes in this area.

I asked M if it bothers him and would he like it if he could focus better and he told me it does and that he wishes he could. I asked him about trying medication and therapy and he said he would. Of course he was laughing and it didn't go that quickly.

The weird thing is that in 1996(?) I worked in a pharmacy when we started seeing a huge rise in RXs for Ritalin with an ADHD dx. I did one of my college papers on the risks of these types of meds and the over dxing. I never in a million years would have thought I would have a child who would benefit from these types of medications.

Now to get DH diagnosed.

One question. M is really smart but his IQ test doesn't reflect that. Do I get him retested after we find what works for him?

vludmilla
10-22-2011, 11:07 AM
One question. M is really smart but his IQ test doesn't reflect that. Do I get him retested after we find what works for him?

Is there a reason that you need his IQ score? Would it make a practical difference if it was higher? If it wouldn't change anything at his school then it is probably unnecessary. Try not to worry about what his score is. I think that emotional intelligence and executive functioning are just as important, if not more so, than IQ scores in predicting success. Also, as you may know, IQ scores are not very reliable or stable in children before the age of 7 so don't put too much stock in the score he received.

pinkmomagain
10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
It is always somewhat of a relief to get a dx.
DD is adhd inattentive type. She has been tested in the past by a neuropsychologist and I always felt that her tested IQ was not accurately reflecting her intelligence. But who cares? I'm not trying to get her into any kind of a gifted program. She is doing great in most of her classes, struggles a bit in a couple. No big deal.

Uno-Mom
10-22-2011, 12:56 PM
It sounds like you have a very healthy attitude about it. I hope he can get some great supports now!

I hate IQ scores for just that reason. It's a big problem for my kid-clients. But my kids are severely impacted by various things and their results are terribly, terribly skewed. They almost never reflect the intelligent child I know.

BabyMine
10-22-2011, 01:01 PM
Is there a reason that you need his IQ score? Would it make a practical difference if it was higher? If it wouldn't change anything at his school then it is probably unnecessary. Try not to worry about what his score is. I think that emotional intelligence and executive functioning are just as important, if not more so, than IQ scores in predicting success. Also, as you may know, IQ scores are not very reliable or stable in children before the age of 7 so don't put too much stock in the score he received.

It is always somewhat of a relief to get a dx.
DD is adhd inattentive type. She has been tested in the past by a neuropsychologist and I always felt that her tested IQ was not accurately reflecting her intelligence. But who cares? I'm not trying to get her into any kind of a gifted program. She is doing great in most of her classes, struggles a bit in a couple. No big deal.

I guess I could have put retest of all the testing he had but IQ was easier. Do I care what he scores? Yes and No. Yes because it can pinpoint problems but it doesn't define him. It's just hard to see a number(s) and know it doesn't reflect what I see everyday. If a person who couldn't read English did an English evaluation their score would be very low but if you taught them English and them gave them the test that would be a truer assumption. I hope that makes sense.