PDA

View Full Version : advice please-possible problem with DS's teacher

sariana
10-22-2011, 02:35 PM
I posted this on a teacher board but wanted to get responses here as well:

A vocal group of parents is expressing concern about my DS's teacher. One particularly vocal mom was claiming that she believes the teacher is senile. One example she gave is that the teacher confused "multiple meaning words" with "homophones." The assignment was to read a story and find the words with multiple meanings. The teacher used the word no as an example because there also is the word know, which sounds the same.

The parent went to another "well-respected teacher" at the school, and that teacher agreed with the parent that "multiple meaning words" are not the same as homophones.

I happen to agree but do not think this is a sign of senility or evidence of a bad teacher. The definitions of MMWs, homophones, homonyms, homographs, and etc. are not universally accepted and used. I don't think confusing the two things is a "high crime" of teaching in second grade. I think it IS important for students to know that no and know are different words that sound the same, whatever they are called. (Do 2nd graders really need the vocabulary: homo-whatever and such?)

Finally, the assignment came home on a day that there was a guest teacher in the classroom (a sub). So who even knows what exact instructions were given? Maybe the instructions were supposed to be "find the homonyms" and the guest teacher did not convey that. (The instructions were hand-written--on my son's sheet, half of the sentence was in his writing, and half was in an adult's writing.)

This group of parents is planning to try to have this teacher removed from the classroom because of this and other alleged "mistakes": she was counting by 5s and randomly switched to counting by 10s; she taught > and < backwards (my DS claims this is not the case, so it's one student against another here); she "has papers all over the place"; the kids are bored, hate school, don't want to go.

I should mention that half the class started out in a 2/3 split. That teacher, rather than differentiate, taught all the students 3rd-grade level work. I think SHE is the one at fault here, not the newly hired (but 19-year experienced) teacher who inherited a group of disgruntled whiners who "want to learn cursive" and do multiplication.

Incidentally, or perhaps not, two students are GATE identified, but several other parents claim their children "need to be challenged."

Also, my DS has special needs and always has struggled in school (not academically, but with behavior). He is having his best year yet, if I can trust the reports from the teacher. According to these other parents, maybe I can't.

I know my first step is to get into the classroom to observe what's going on, which I plan to do.

Sorry for rambling. I meant to post about just the one thing but just kept going on and on.

I'm really feeling sick about all this. I feel that the parents are ganging up on the teacher, but I also don't want my son in the class if the teacher IS incompetent.

After a couple of responses, I added this:

Yes, most of the parents the group that had this (impromptu) meeting have observed the class, some pretty extensively. But I have not, and I don't necessarily take the words of PARENTS any more than those of STUDENTS, IYKWIM.

Some of the parents in the group are or have been teachers, including one who teaches second grade (who has not observed, since she currently teaches, but who said she has had concerns since the teacher started) and another one who used to teach second grade.

The "ringleader" admitted she never has been a teacher and appealed to those of us who have for our opinions. (I taught middle school, though, so I'm not much help in this area.)

This "ringleader" said she has been keeping track of a whole litany of complaints from parents and mistakes the teacher has made. I have not seen the whole list. The homophone thing, the counting example, and the > vs < were given as examples of a bigger problem. She also cited a handwritten spelling error (i.e. not a typo) in which the teacher had written "happends" instead of "happens" or "happened."

Being the parent of a child with ADHD and suspecting that I have ADD myself, I see that as a more likely "diagnosis" for this teacher than senility. After a meeting I had with her and the RSP teacher, I told my husband, "She's more ADD than I am!" (IMO, so is the RSP teacher, whom I like and respect, as do other parents.) The disorganization and mistakes strike me as lack of attention to detail more than anything else.

But the "ringleader" claims her son is being emotionally destroyed by this teacher. That is a pretty serious accusation.

Any thoughts?

Uno-Mom
10-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow-what a mess. Without knowing the people involved, I couldn't even begin to guess whether it's a case of obnoxious parents mobbing a good teacher... or good parents trying to help a bad situation.

My gut reaction is that the parents are going WAAAAY overboard but I know my opinion could change if I actually knew anybody involved. [Edit to add: just saw the comment about "emotionally destroyed." That sounds absurd if it's based on the actual problem examples you cited.]

Your post reminded me, though, that one of the few 2nd grade lessons I remember vividly was the one about homonyms. I have not idea why it stuck in my head so clearly. I can see where my teacher was standing, her hair style and everything!

Meatball Mommie
10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow-what a mess. Without knowing the people involved, I couldn't even begin to guess whether it's a case of obnoxious parents mobbing a good teacher... or good parents trying to help a bad situation.

My gut reaction is that the parents are going WAAAAY overboard but I know my opinion could change if I actually knew anybody involved. [Edit to add: just saw the comment about "emotionally destroyed." That sounds absurd if it's based on the actual problem examples you cited.]

I'm kind of in this camp as well. I would try to observe a day or whatever is feasible and go from there. None of what you describe sounds like senility or incompetance. Honestly, I would be ok with all that you've described. The whole homynym thing happened on a day with a sub, the >< thing is one child (!) and your son knows the correct way to write them. Neither of those examples are particularly alarming.

With that said, I'm not the one in the situation and there are obviously more details than I'm aware of, so it could be true. My gut says it's one discruntled parent trying to round up support though. Sad situation either way though...

zag95
10-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Sounds a little dramatic to say that your child is being "emotionally destroyed" by this teacher- over what- homonyms?? All of the examples are pretty nitpicky items- as a teacher, there have been a few times where I have written a wrongly spelled word on the board, etc. I am, after all, human, and occasionally make mistakes.

I would probably see if you could volunteer a couple of hours and draw your own conclusions about how good a fit the teacher is for your son.

GL.

niccig
10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds a little dramatic to say that your child is being "emotionally destroyed" by this teacher- over what- homonyms?? All of the examples are pretty nitpicky items- as a teacher, there have been a few times where I have written a wrongly spelled word on the board, etc. I am, after all, human, and occasionally make mistakes.

I would probably see if you could volunteer a couple of hours and draw your own conclusions about how good a fit the teacher is for your son.

GL.

:yeahthat: I would come to my own conclusion about the teacher.

What worries me is that the teacher/school have no idea about the gang-up against the teacher - impromptu meetings, emails etc. This happened at DS's school a couple of years ago and it got very ugly by the time the school/teacher was aware of it. The school stresses discussing things with the teacher FIRST before calling other parents.

Has this "ring-leader" parent even had a conversation with the teacher over any of this?

JoyNChrist
10-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Honestly? I think these parents need to chill out. Sounds like they're seriously overreacting over some really nitpicky stuff. Emotionally destroyed? Over homonyms?

I'm sure there's more to the story than what's written here, and you should certainly observe to ease your mind, but I really wouldn't put too much stock in what these parents are saying. They sound like a bunch of drama.

Indianamom2
10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Honestly? I think these parents need to chill out. Sounds like they're seriously overreacting over some really nitpicky stuff. Emotionally destroyed? Over homonyms?

I'm sure there's more to the story than what's written here, and you should certainly observe to ease your mind, but I really wouldn't put too much stock in what these parents are saying. They sound like a bunch of drama.

I agree. This sounds a lot like a smear campaign where perhaps someone (or a few) have a personal axe to grind with this particular teacher and they are trying to ruin her career. Before I threw my support anywhere, I'd definitely want to observe the class for myself.

sariana
10-22-2011, 08:03 PM
:yeahthat: I would come to my own conclusion about the teacher.

What worries me is that the teacher/school have no idea about the gang-up against the teacher - impromptu meetings, emails etc. This happened at DS's school a couple of years ago and it got very ugly by the time the school/teacher was aware of it. The school stresses discussing things with the teacher FIRST before calling other parents.

Has this "ring-leader" parent even had a conversation with the teacher over any of this?

Yes, the parent actually called us together immediately after a conversation with the teacher. However, I think she may have ambushed the teacher; I don't think it was a scheduled meeting, but I could be wrong.

I haven't thrown my support anywhere. The "ringleader" claimed to have a whole list of issues and was citing only a few examples. I don't know.

I also don't know if the official "room mom" knows about this. I am hoping to talk to her about it, too. I trust her to keep my confidence, no matter how the conversation goes.

I definitely hope to spend some time in the classroom this coming week.

Thanks for all your replies!

Katigre
10-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok, trying to cut through all the garbage here is what it sounds like:

1. The teacher is not appropriately challenging students across the learning spectrum, which is having emotional/social/academic ramifications for those students. Just like it is excruciating for a student who struggles academically to be pushed in areas they're not yet capable of, it is equally excruciating to be left sitting, bored, day.after.day.after.day.

I don't think the 2/3 split teacher did anything wrong by teaching more challenging material of the students were ready for it - if they could handle it, then why hold them back? I also don't think there's anything wrong with 2nd graders wanting to do cursive or multiplication. Your DS might not be there, but some other students are, and the teacher is obligated to try and meet the educational needs of her students.

2. The teacher has poorly-managed ADD and that means that details slip - both in academic content, teaching coherency, and classroom management. Being a competent teacher of two dozen kids takes a lot of well-managed details, and parent politics is part of that. If she's not building bridges with parents then that is a strike against her. In addition, a teacher who consistently messes up details is really obnoxious to a child who is GATE or highly academic. It grates like nails on a chalkboard and I can see why those students and parents are bothered.

Without you having observed, I don't think that you can make a statement either way. If the class is a good fit for your DS who struggles academically and he's having a wonderful year then great! She's a good fit for him. But quite often (speaking as someone who was on the end of the bell curve academically) a teacher who hits the far ends of the bell curve well (whether at the slower end or more advanced end) tends to miss the 80% of students in the middle.

hoodlims
10-23-2011, 12:33 AM
I taught high school and while it does seem like they are being overdramatic, the lack of organization with teachers bothers me immensely. As a middle school teacher yourself, you probably know that not being organized leads to lost work, poor grades, not well planned lessons, etc. That being said, if a couple of those GATE students aren't doing well with the teacher, maybe they should move out of the class, as opposed to moving the teacher out. Your DS might do well with this teacher, and as long as you and your family are happy with her, that is all that matters.