PDA

View Full Version : Question about Uppa Vista

Pilotbaby
10-22-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi everyone,
Due to some great suggestions here on this forum, we finally settled on the Uppa Vista and purchased it today. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on the travel bag. I will be doing some traveling with the baby while my husband is away and want to make sure I can actually get the stroller in the travel bag myself. Does anyone have this and can tell me how tight a fit it is and whether they recommend this one or a different universal one?
Thank you!

candaceb
10-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I have the older version of the travel bag. It is a beast and you definitely cannot get the stroller in the bag while holding the baby. On more than one occasion, I had to ask a stranger to hold the baby while I dealt with the stroller.
One problem we have had with it is that it does not look like a stroller, especially if you take the wheels off. This resulted in the stroller that was supposed to be gate checked being sent to oversized baggage claim when we were connecting. After that trip, I vowed not to travel with the Vista any more. It was just too much stress. I use my Mac Quest, and I can get it into the travel bag with the baby on my hip and it's a whole lot less to worry about. I love my Vista, but for normal travel to visit family, it's not worth the hassle. I might change my mind for a trip that involved a lot of walking though (like Disney World).

♥ms.pacman♥
10-22-2011, 11:17 PM
i have a Vista which i love, and i have never flown with it. I got a Maclaren Volo or BJCM/BJCMD for travel use. I can't imagine doing air travel with the Vista, especially if alone with a baby. Umbrella strollers are so much easier. Plus, you don't have to worry about the airline potentially damaging a $600+ stroller!

poohbear
10-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I haven't traveled with my vista, but the new travel bag comes with a policy that if the airline damages the stroller within the warranty period, uppa will fix it.

I also travel with the mac or bjcm. I have traveled with the bee, but the travel bag is a beast ;)

mom3boys
10-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I know you probably just spent good money on the Vista, but I would also consider getting an umbrella-type stroller for air travel unless you plan to do a lot of walking at your destination.

If you have a newborn, you can get something with full recline like a Cybex Onyx (I have a Vista, but the Onyx for travel). If your baby is 3 months or older, you can get partial recline like a Mac Quest or Uppa Baby G-Luxe--which are lighter, or 6 months+(?) is probably old enough for a MacLaren Volo. Or, if you really are not going to be walking at all and just need the stroller to get around the airport, with a little baby you can just use/get a Snap-N-Go since you probably have to bring your car seat with you anyway. I have been able to gate-check a Snap-N-Go plus car seat in the past.

You could check your Craigslist and probably find a used MacLaren pretty easily. Or a Snap-N-Go for $15-20.

FWIW, I had plans to travel with my Valco Tri-Mode years ago (even heavier than the Vista), and I bought a brand-new travel bag for it. Once it came time to go on the actual trip it just seemed too much to deal with and I ended up getting a Mac Triumph for travel. I sort of missed my big stroller at the destination but the Triumph did the job around town (we were in Key West). I gave the buyer the never-used travel bag 4.5 years later when I sold the Valco.

Pilotbaby
10-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. That's what I was afraid of. So, another related question. I looked at the other recommendations some of you listed for travel and only one is under 200 but that one doesn't seem to have storage. My biggest issue for a travel stroller is storage since I will be taking some long flights and have lots of gear for baby and I. Are there any other suggestions under the 200. range that are good for airport travel and have good storage? I hate to spend a lot on a second stroller when we just bought this one.
Thank you!

Kaylee31
10-23-2011, 01:45 PM
I know you probably just spent good money on the Vista, but I would also consider getting an umbrella-type stroller for air travel unless you plan to do a lot of walking at your destination.

:yeahthat: The G-luxe would be a good choice. I have a Vista & G-luxe and love them both. If price is a concern, I would look at the Britax Blink, which is only $75 shipped (cheaper than the Vista bag). It has a deep recline, but it's heavier than the G-luxe or most Macs (about 17 lbs.). IIRC, I think someone said it also comes w/a travel bag too?
http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-blink-stroller-double-dots.html

Pilotbaby
10-23-2011, 01:50 PM
:yeahthat: The G-luxe would be a good choice. I have a Vista & G-luxe and love them both. If price is a concern, I would look at the Britax Blink, which is only $75 shipped (cheaper than the Vista bag). It has a deep recline, but it's heavier than the G-luxe or most Macs (about 17 lbs.). IIRC, I think someone said it also comes w/a travel bag too?
http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-blink-stroller-double-dots.html

Thank you- the G-Luxe is really cute. I should have mentioned that I will be traveling when the baby is still a newborn and both of these say they don't work with newborns. Thank you for the suggestions though- will keep them on my list for future reference.

legaleagle
10-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Maybe the peg perego vela easydrive - light but has a huge basket. Not a full recline I believe, but I know older pegs "unofficially" took graco carseats - they would snap/rest on the snack tray. Or just use the snap n go - you can always get one from CL for $20-30 bucks and resell after your trips.

mom3boys
10-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Do you need it for a newborn (flat recline?). Most umbrella strollers don't have good storage--but you could try the Aprica Presto, which has a bigger basket, it is under $200, but the baby should be about 3-months old to use it:

http://futuregenerationsbaby.com/store/shop_product.php?UPC=14862

(I have never actually used one, so I can't recommend or not recommend otherwise)

Or you could get a saddle bag like this:

http://www.giggle.com/Saddle-Bag---Charcoal/3785,default,pd.html

Which you can hang on the side of the stroller rather than the back.

Whatever you do, you will have to remove everything off the stroller/out of the basket (including cupholder, if you have one) before you gate check it, so it might be good to have an extra bag/large enough bag to shove it in, if you are OK with your carry-on limit. Oh and you will have to fold the stroller and put it through security if you gate check, so you would have to remove anything out of the basket to fold most strollers anyway. Most Snap-N-Go's have a big basket, big enough to hold a diaper bag. So I guess my advice is--bring a fairly big diaper bag!

If you use a Snap N Go, you can keep the diaper bag in the stroller, going through security it has a one hand fold, so you can take the bag out, put it through security, take the baby out of the car seat, put the car seat through, fold the stroller while holding the baby and put it through, then reassemble after security (sounds exhausting, but I have done it and it is not so bad). If you use an umbrella stroller you can probably hang diaper bag from handles while the baby is in it (just beware these strollers can be tippy), or keep it on your shoulder. If you get an umbrella stroller, assuming you need a car seat, check that with your regular luggage (I assume baby is sitting on your lap so you won't be using car seat on the plane?). Most umbrellas have a one hand/one foot fold which you can do while holding a baby.

spannaz
10-23-2011, 02:21 PM
How about the Cybex Topaz (2010)? Amazon has a closeout one for $200 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BDPNE6/ref=asc_df_B003BDPNE61747425?smid=A3PHGLAFG5JCS9&tag=nextagusmp0368287-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B003BDPNE6), and these have near full recline for young infants. It's been discontinued, however the 2010 had the improved huge canopy that the 2009 didn't have.

Here's a review by Baby Gizmo of the differences between 2009 and 2010 (with an imbedded link for the full 2009 review):

http://www.ratedbymom.com/2010/12/2010-cybex-topaz-for-120-for-today-only/

HTH!! :wavey:

ETA: Just found the same 2010 Topaz but in Berry for $175 :) http://www.amazon.com/Cybex-2010-Topaz-Stroller-Berry/dp/B003BDPNDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1319394227&sr=1-1

Or the Grenadine and Cinnamon colors for the same $200: http://www.amazon.com/Cybex-2010-Topaz-Stroller-Grenadine/dp/B0055L7VMY/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1319394315&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Cybex-2010-Topaz-Stroller-Cinnamon/dp/B0055L8YRK/ref=sr_1_7?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1319394378&sr=1-7

3sweetgirls
10-23-2011, 03:28 PM
How about a Maclaren XLR. It's $215 on gilt right now. It takes a carseat and is suitable for a newborn. It is also fairly easy to fold with one hand

spannaz
10-23-2011, 03:36 PM
How bought a Maclaren XLR. It's $215 on gilt right now. It takes a carseat and is suitable for a newborn.

:yeahthat: Good suggestion!

Multimama
10-23-2011, 04:28 PM
To really free up storage space with a newborn you can wear the baby and then you have the whole stroller for storage. :)

hoodlims
10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
I traveled with my baby when she was 10 weeks old from CA to PA. I took her carseat and a Snap n' Go for the airport, but ended up wearing her everywhere. It made things so much easier! I was able to nurse her throughout Philly, even in Independence Hall during our tour.

Pilotbaby
10-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Looked all of these up online- now off to find a store to try them all.

Budster
10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
I keep telling my wife we should quit our jobs and open a high end stroller rental shop, with delivery to the airport. :)