PDA

View Full Version : Does increased discharge necessarily mean you're pregnant?

conniez
10-23-2011, 01:40 AM
Hi mamas, I know it's been ages since I've posted. So much has happened in my life right now that I just havent had time to post for months.

I noticed that I've been experiencing increased discharge...it's almost liquidy (I was out once & felt like I had urinated, but I know I didn't). Does anyone know if this signifies I could be pregnant?

I am on a particular BC pill where I only have a period every 3-4 months, so it's hard for me to tell. I took 1 pregnancy test a week ago & it was negative, but I've heard it can be because it's just too early? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

lalasmama
10-23-2011, 02:56 AM
When you are on birth control pills, your discharge doesn't mean much, since your hormones are being rendered infertile by the pill.

That being said, if you weren't taking the pill, watery discharge is a typical, normal thing to experience several days a month when you aren't pregnant.

Did you miss a pill? Newly on this pill? Having other symptoms? I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's reasons other than some watery discharge that makes you think you might be pregnant when on the pill, since it's so effective when taken as directed.

conniez
10-23-2011, 03:52 AM
When you are on birth control pills, your discharge doesn't mean much, since your hormones are being rendered infertile by the pill.

That being said, if you weren't taking the pill, watery discharge is a typical, normal thing to experience several days a month when you aren't pregnant.

Did you miss a pill? Newly on this pill? Having other symptoms? I guess I'm trying to figure out if there's reasons other than some watery discharge that makes you think you might be pregnant when on the pill, since it's so effective when taken as directed.

I'm taking a low does pill. I never really experienced symptoms with my first 2 pregnancies until I was well aware I was already pregnant (mostly done w/1st trimester).

I don't usually skip pills completely, but there are days where I'll forget to take one at midnight (as I usually do) and by the time I remember, it's midnight the next day (so I'll end up doubling up). I've done this at least a few times the past month.

Maybe I'm just freaking out that I could be, even if I have no other reason and the pill is pretty reliable.

lalasmama
10-23-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm taking a low does pill. I never really experienced symptoms with my first 2 pregnancies until I was well aware I was already pregnant (mostly done w/1st trimester).

I don't usually skip pills completely, but there are days where I'll forget to take one at midnight (as I usually do) and by the time I remember, it's midnight the next day (so I'll end up doubling up). I've done this at least a few times the past month.

Maybe I'm just freaking out that I could be, even if I have no other reason and the pill is pretty reliable.

Ahhhh, the missing pills definitely ups your chances of pregnancy, whether you double up the next day or not (sorry). I don't think I would worry just from the discharge though. I get that too.... where I run to the bathroom, positive that I've just started an unexpected period, or peed myself, just too see it's watery discharge. It's a pretty common thing to have when not pregnant.

And just because I ask my patients... if you are forgetting/missing/doubling pills multiple times a month, are you sure you are on the best birth control for you? It only works if you use it right! :) I can't manage to remember to take pills, so I always like to remind people about the Nuva Ring (only requires removing and inserting once a month each), Ortho Evra (the patch you change weekly), and things like the IUD, Implanon (a newer hormonal BC similar to the old Norplant, but better tolerated)... There's a lot of things out there that don't require remembering a pill daily!

conniez
10-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Ahhhh, the missing pills definitely ups your chances of pregnancy, whether you double up the next day or not (sorry). I don't think I would worry just from the discharge though. I get that too.... where I run to the bathroom, positive that I've just started an unexpected period, or peed myself, just too see it's watery discharge. It's a pretty common thing to have when not pregnant.

And just because I ask my patients... if you are forgetting/missing/doubling pills multiple times a month, are you sure you are on the best birth control for you? It only works if you use it right! :) I can't manage to remember to take pills, so I always like to remind people about the Nuva Ring (only requires removing and inserting once a month each), Ortho Evra (the patch you change weekly), and things like the IUD, Implanon (a newer hormonal BC similar to the old Norplant, but better tolerated)... There's a lot of things out there that don't require remembering a pill daily!

I typically am very good about taking my pill the same time every day. There's just a lot of family drama going on right now in addition to my own personal problems that have caused me to get distracted/be forgetful. I guess I will just wait and see if I develop other symptoms. I missed my ob/gyn appt. so that has to be rescheduled. I was going to ask them to test me for pregnancy as well.

daisymommy
10-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Taking the pill usually stops you from ovulating.
If you are off the pill now, or skipped a few pills, you could be ovulating. Which would include lots of discharge (usually similar to egg-white fluid). I chart my cycles as a method of BC, and when I ovulate I have to wear panty liners for a few days.

Oh! I almost forgot, there are also a few vaginal infections that include discharge, so if you have any other annoying uncomfortable symptoms down there, that could be why.

conniez
10-24-2011, 07:53 PM
Taking the pill usually stops you from ovulating.
If you are off the pill now, or skipped a few pills, you could be ovulating. Which would include lots of discharge (usually similar to egg-white fluid). I chart my cycles as a method of BC, and when I ovulate I have to wear panty liners for a few days.

Oh! I almost forgot, there are also a few vaginal infections that include discharge, so if you have any other annoying uncomfortable symptoms down there, that could be why.

I don't have any other uncomfortable symptoms so it could be nothing. Typically what happens is that I'll miss a pill for a day and notice it when I take the pill for the next day. I guess I will just wait until I go to my next ob/gyn. appt (which I still need to reschedule) and ask them to give me a test again.

mikala
10-26-2011, 03:36 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean your pregnant but could mean you've ovulated. I'd definitely use a secondary method of birth control for at least a month just in case... You can also take another home test in a week or two and verify that it's negative.

conniez
10-26-2011, 08:24 PM
It doesn't necessarily mean your pregnant but could mean you've ovulated. I'd definitely use a secondary method of birth control for at least a month just in case... You can also take another home test in a week or two and verify that it's negative.

Thanks for the info. I have my ob/gyn appt. Friday morning, so I may mention to her my concerns and see what the dr. thinks.