PDA

View Full Version : full-featured umbrella stroller compatible with keyfit?

skohng
10-23-2011, 02:46 AM
I've got baby #3 due in early december and have a BJCS (2007, I think, but I love that thing) but would like a lighter umbrella stroller and one that's compatible with the keyfit for quick car trips, especially in the winter.

all the new options out there are making my head spin. I'm looking for something 17 lbs or less, almost flat recline for newborns, and good suspension/tires for city sidewalks. I think I've narrowed it down to a Peg Si, Chicco Liteway, or Mac XLR (hopefully found used off CL) and want to stay under $180ish. Any others that fall in this category? Thanks.

ETA: Is the Si anything like the old Pliko or P3? Bad memories of trying to push and maneuver the P3 ..

poohbear
10-23-2011, 07:35 AM
what about the cybex? They have straps to take a carseat. I know the onyx and callisto do. Plus they have awesome canopies. They're a fave around here (I've never had one - i have a mac).
http://cybex-online.com/us/pushchairs/onyx.html

FWIW - unless they've changed something, the techno xlr does not list compatibility with Keyfit. I don't think the liteway is compatible with an infant carrier either...

You can also look at the BJCM if you are looking at the si...

Multimama
10-23-2011, 07:40 AM
The Bumbleride Flite meets almost all of your requirements, but from my experience just pushing it in the store I would not describe it as "good suspension/tires for city sidewalks." I think that will be hard to find in an umbrella stroller under 17 lbs.

I agree, I don't think the XLR or Liteway will take a Chicco seat.

I would also suggest the First Year's Indigo if you might want something budget, lightweight and reversible. Again, not amazing tires, but it takes a keyfit just as if it were a snap n go and then when you're not using the keyfit you have a reversible seat.

legaleagle
10-23-2011, 08:15 AM
I agree with PPs - cybex/flite/indigo would be my first recs. I believe Peg has substantially improved the push on all their models because they use single wheels with ball bearings, but I'd try one out to see first.

Also, you can find the BJCM for <$180 (and this will likely be even easier in the next month or so), but the car seat adaptor is extra.

mom3boys
10-23-2011, 12:43 PM
If you can get this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumbleride-2011-Flite-Lightweight-Compact-Travel-Stroller-Jet-FT-405J-/140624857306?pt=Strollers&hash=item20bde508da

For less than $180 including the shipping that would be a good deal. Includes a Universal Adapter that will take Chicco Keyfit. The seller is actually Albee Baby, this is the seller for their open box returns. This is a 2011 Flite and I heard (although I don't know for sure) that the push is better on the 2011s vs. 2010s.

Cybex Onyx is also a good option but the car seat adapters are not included, you will have to buy them for $25.00 and I'm not sure you can find one for less than $180 any more (the 2010s were on sale, but I don't think they are available for the most part). Plus it is heavier than the Flite, about 17 lbs vs. 13.

Beth24
10-23-2011, 04:45 PM
I am really happy with my Si...it is full featured, works well on bumpy sidewalks and over grass and so easy to fold with one hand. Great padding, canopy, full recline, big basket. My only complaint is the pastic handles...

echoesofspring
10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm *mostly* happy with my flite (2011). We don't have a keyfit, but we have used the car seat adapter when traveling and needed to lug around a carseat. Plus it has a pretty deep recline, so you don't have to use the car seat with a wee one. My only complaint is the basket, which is practically nonexistent. And now that I've used it awhile it seems kind of big, especially when traveling. I wish I could have seen the Onyx in person, as it was between those 2 and the gluxe for me, and I kind of preferred the Onyx by spec, but went with the Flite as we love our Indie and the flite was supposedly lighter.

The only push issues I've had were last week when I had to roll it through some thick gravel at a park last wee, other non paved surfaces, not as thick gravel, broken sidewalks, etc. that have we visited have been no problem, though DS is only 20lbs.

skohng
10-23-2011, 09:11 PM
thanks for the feedback. i thought i read that the keyfit "works" with the XLR though probably not officially, and i don't know why i had in my head that the liteway was a travel system.

The BJCM could be an option, but it drives me crazy that the fabric of my BJCS is exposed which i'm guessing is the same with the CM. the onyx is a bit out of my price range, which is why i thought about the Si on sale for under $150 at some retailers. i'll take a look at the flite and indigo.

spannaz
10-23-2011, 09:29 PM
How about a Cybex Topaz? They discontinued it in 2010, but it has the great canopy, and has a universal car seat adaptor. Amazon has the Berry color for $175... http://www.amazon.com/Cybex-2010-Topaz-Stroller-Berry/dp/B003BDPNDW/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1319394227&sr=1-1

I posted about this on this other thread: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=413917 and linked a review of the differences between the 2009 and 2010 (main one being the canopy).

adler
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I have a Britax B-Nimble stroller. It's 14lb, has a carry strap, a one-hand and one-foot (together) fold, an adjustable footrest, ok canopy, full recline, and built-in universal car seat adapter. I use it in the city with bumpy sidewalks and lots of walking, and it performs beautifully.
It was $200. I don't know if you can get it on sale...

roseyloxs
10-26-2011, 06:48 AM
My cybex topaz is really great on all the cobblestone over here so I am guessing it would be a good fit for city sidewalks too. I don't think you are going to find any under $180 though and as MM said you need to buy the $25 car seat adapter seperately.

You can take a look at the cybex oynx though. Here is 2009 for $150 (http://www.justkidsstore.com/prod/cybex/onyx-buggy/slate) which still leaves you enough money to buy the adapter. I think the recline depth is the same on the oynx and the topaz. The wheels will be a bit smaller and you won't get a bumper bar. However its also lighter and has a carry strap. Rain cover is included with both models.

legaleagle
10-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Oh, that's actually listed as $141 w/fs now, what a great deal. The onyx, topaz, and callisto all have the same very padded seat with full recline. I have the callisto, and I think the cybex bumper bars are pretty lame - they're plastic and kind of flimsy. I actually just killed mine (totally mangled!) by accidentally leaving it in the basket when I folded it (and then not using it for several weeks). No great loss though!

lowrioh
10-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Someone had a Callisto on StrollerSwap in August. I think it was a 2011 and it was really cheap. Have no idea if it is still available though.

I LOVE my Onyx and would recommend a Cybex to anyone.

skohng
10-26-2011, 12:18 PM
thanks for the recs! i'll have to stop by BRU and play with the onyx. I don't need it to do all-terrain stuff since I have my baby jogger, but it'd be nice to not get stuck in snow or uneven sidewalk with the umbrella stroller. so the earliest i can go with the onyx is a 2010 because of the updates in the canopy, correct?

ETA: I interviewed for a copywriting job with just kids store way back when. Really friendly staff!

crl
10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
The 2009 Onyx is still really nice. It has a huge canopy but it is straight out, not curved down in front and the seat back is tall which means the canopy is way up there. That adds up to not really covering little babies at all, ime. The more recent Cybexes have a height adjustable canopy, which sounds fabulous to me. The 2009 is also a bit lighter weight, if that matters to you.

Catherine

skohng
10-26-2011, 12:44 PM
ok one more thing. I think I was scarred by my silver cross dazzle. Great deal on shnoop a while ago, and the ride was ok, but DH hated it bc it didn't perform well on city sidewalks. can anyone who's had both comment whether the onyx is a better ride? (can't tell when pushing it around BRU!)