PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Great Cough Suppressant?

pinkmomagain
10-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey, so my oldest (15 yo) has walking pneumonia. She's started on an antibiotc. The dr said she could take a suppressant (didn't specify a brand) if the coughing is troubling her and it is. The past couple of days we've tried Delsym and it hasn't been all that great. Any recommendations, BBB mamas? TIA

vludmilla
10-23-2011, 09:19 AM
The only cough suppressant that I have ever found to work was a prescription one that I believe had codeine in it. Of course, I don't usually want to take codeine and you may not want your daughter to take it either but I really appreciated it at night when I didn't want to be disrupted by coughing.

BabyMine
10-23-2011, 09:35 AM
Have you tried honey?

Mommy_Again
10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
The only cough suppressant that I have ever found to work was a prescription one that I believe had codeine in it. Of course, I don't usually want to take codeine and you may not want your daughter to take it either but I really appreciated it at night when I didn't want to be disrupted by coughing.

:yeahthat: I held onto a bottle for years and almost cried when I took the last drop. It was the ONLY thing that gave me a peaceful night's sleep when I had a bad cough. Maybe her doc would prescribe something?

pinkmomagain
10-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Hm. I'd really prefer for her not to take codeine...I am looking for something with which she could still remain functional during the day. She is coughing so much and it really hurts when she coughs...it's affecting her day and night. She really wants to go to school tomorrow, but that constant coughing is out of hand.

She does take a spoonful of honey before bed. I'm trying to get her to drink some tea with lots of honey right now. She doesn't love tea, but maybe it will help.

I usually try not to call outside of office hrs, but maybe I will call today and see what the dr on call says.

mom2one
10-23-2011, 10:31 AM
You might need to go back to the doctor. I coughed so long this year that I got inflammation of the cartilage. That took quite a while to heal! Another idea, if you have a Whole Foods nearby, they have some things you could also have your daughter try,

ecofem
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Delsym is the best OTC cough relief I've used.... I use it if honey doesn't work.

Cam&Clay
10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
When my boys have coughs that interrupt their sleep, the pediatrician gives me a prescription with codeine. It's not something I want to use often, but it is worth it for them to get that much needed rest.

Delsym never works for me or for my kids.

robinsmommy
10-23-2011, 12:26 PM
If you do end up with syrup with codeine, please be sure and give a bedtime snack with it, as codeine is very irritating to the lining of the stomach - as we now know all too well - dd1 spent the better part of the day yesterday throwing up after a dose on an empty stomach at bedtime.

Honey, tea loaded with honey, and DD1's favorite, Ricola cough drops. Though those last are only good if your child can avoid inhaling it when they are coughing. You can try some of the health food store stuff, but we've never had much luck with it.

So sorry - coughing stinks.

jammytoast
10-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Delysum or Chestal work well for me

So does muscinex

fauve01
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
the codeine stuff is the *only* cough medicine that lets me and DD sleep when we have coughs. We have never had a doctor that had a problem writing the script for it either; your doctor should give it to your DS no problem.

SummerBaby
10-24-2011, 11:07 AM
When I had H1N1 and bronchitis, my doctor prescribed Tussin pearls. They are little gelcaps. They were the only way I could stop coughing.

Val

Smillow
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Supposedly, rubbing Vicks Vap-o-rub on your feet & covering with socks will quiet a cough. I have tried it with DS, but he has never had a really bad cough so I can't attest to its effectiveness.

daisymommy
10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
The only thing that works for any of us is Chestal (all natural, homeopathic). It's not as long lasting as some others, but it works within 15 minutes for my kids, and lasts about 4 hours. I also like that it works for any type of cough, and with no side effects.

I bought some Delsum the other day, hoping it would knock out my kids coughs all day long, but it didn't even work, at all. Almost like the took a spoonful of water.