PDA

View Full Version : Kids ID bracelet or something else?

MommyofAmaya
10-23-2011, 02:15 PM
DD just went on her first "field trip" with another family. As soon as she left I realized that she doesn't have any identification materials with her and if they get separated/in an accident, etc. we won't be contacted. I'm sure that things will be fine today (*crossing fingers) but I don't want this to happen again. I was looking for ID bracelets and ran across these: '
http://shop.idewe.com/main.sc

Any other recommendations for kid's identification items?

Gena
10-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Those are cute, but IMO they don't really look like ID bracelets and I would be concerned that it wouldn't be recognized as one.

DS has bracelets from Sticky J Jewelry: http://www.stickyj.com/

His are medical IDs, but they have non-medical ID bracelets as well. Their customer service is excellent and we are very pleased with their quality.DS wears his (medical tag on a sport bracelet) 24/7 and it has held up very well. It's completely waterproof (great for swimming and watermarks) and the band drys very quickly.

SASM
10-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Those are cute. :) I can tell you where NOT to go: http://www.idtags.com/ I bought 3 of these for use as an allergy alert and ID bracelet. The laser engraving was horrible for 2 out of 3 bracelets, the worst being DS's, who has the worst allergies. I tried contacting the company several times...no response. Now several words have rubbed off after 3 months of continuous wear. :( As a spare ID for my kids or their joined-at-the hip stuffed animals, I leave a pack of the bright tear-away write-on bracelets from the dollar store. The kids do not notice them and at least it's something until I can buy better bracelets.

MommyofAmaya
10-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Those are cute, but IMO they don't really look like ID bracelets and I would be concerned that it wouldn't be recognized as one.

His are medical IDs, but they have non-medical ID bracelets as well. Their customer service is excellent and we are very pleased with their quality.DS wears his (medical tag on a sport bracelet) 24/7 and it has held up very well. It's completely waterproof (great for swimming and watermarks) and the band drys very quickly.

Thanks, I never would have thought of that. I'm actually going to email them to see whether we can flip the ID portion facing up so that is more easily seen.
Otherwise, I will consider Sticky J. I do like that they are waterproof. I'm hesitant to spend that much though b/c I bet they end up lost before we use them much.

MommyofAmaya
10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Those are cute. :) I can tell you where NOT to go: http://www.idtags.com/ I bought 3 of these for use as an allergy alert and ID bracelet. The laser engraving was horrible for 2 out of 3 bracelets, the worst being DS's, who has the worst allergies. I tried contacting the company several times...no response. Now several words have rubbed off after 3 months of continuous wear. :( As a spare ID for my kids or their joined-at-the hip stuffed animals, I leave a pack of the bright tear-away write-on bracelets from the dollar store. The kids do not notice them and at least it's something until I can buy better bracelets.

Wow. They specialize in ID tags and can't even get that one item right? Will steer clear of those. Thanks for the warning.
The tear-away ones are a good idea, since we don't need them on a regular basis... and cheap, which is even better!

lizzywednesday
10-24-2011, 08:40 AM

How long has your DS been wearing his IDs? I'm considering getting some for DD because of her heart issues, but she's so little that I tend to wonder if it's practical yet. I took a look and was pleased by how reasonable the costs are at that site (I've looked elsewhere and I've been absolutely appalled) so I'm starting to re-consider an ID for DD.

Gena
10-24-2011, 09:57 AM
How long has your DS been wearing his IDs? I'm considering getting some for DD because of her heart issues, but she's so little that I tend to wonder if it's practical yet. I took a look and was pleased by how reasonable the costs are at that site (I've looked elsewhere and I've been absolutely appalled) so I'm starting to re-consider an ID for DD.

DS is 7 and has been wearing them about a year. The bracelets he has fit him well, but I think they would be big on a very small child or toddler.

Medic Alert carries a baby/toddler sized bracelet, if you want to go through them. I don't think it's on their website; you need to call them to order it.

crl
10-24-2011, 10:19 AM
For occasional use, they do make temporary tattoos that you can your contact info put on. We also labelled clothes near the tags with ds' last name and my cell number. And we used to slip a business card into his pockets.

Catherine

TwoBees
10-24-2011, 11:12 AM
We used Safety Wristbands from Oliver's Labels (http://www.oliverslabels.com/products/product.aspx?ProductID=18) for our vacation this summer.

Mikey0709
10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
I had the same fear of my child getting separated - and he would not be able to tell someone who he is. He has speech issues - and this is still the case even though he is 4. I wanted to have something on him ALL the time. He can tell you his name - but you probably woudn't be able to understand him.

I had the smallest dog tags made (at the pet shop) and I attach them to the back loop on his Keen sneakers. It is hardly noticable and does not affect walking/running - - but HE knows it's there - and he can point to it and tell someone if they can't understand him. IT has on it I.C.E. (in case emergency),our last name and my cell #).

Enough to give me peace of mind.

I think the small silver tone circle charm was around $8 or so - and the machine engraves it immediately. VERY lightweight and they have held up for years (the shoes wear out first!). The goldtone one faded - so go with the silver tone for everyday. I think i have one on each pair of shoes he wears - they give you a little loop to hold it on...works great on keens especially - but i'm sure you could put it through lace loops on other shoes!

lizzywednesday
10-24-2011, 11:42 AM
DS is 7 and has been wearing them about a year. The bracelets he has fit him well, but I think they would be big on a very small child or toddler.

Medic Alert carries a baby/toddler sized bracelet, if you want to go through them. I don't think it's on their website; you need to call them to order it.

Thanks on both accounts! The only reason I wasn't looking at MedicAlert was because I already have the ID cards (so there are registration #s for her stents on it, for example; we don't need her registered in a national database or anything as she's already in two companies' records due to the device implants) and didn't need their additional services, but it's good to know they have toddler-sized alert jewelry available.

I'll try to call the next time I'm in the office just to talk about what needs to be on an ID bracelet for DD and how to phrase it. It's hard trying to figure it out by myself.