PDA

View Full Version : When your child turned two... what were they doing?

Uno-Mom
10-23-2011, 04:17 PM
Sprog turns two next week, the day before Thanksgiving! This milestone has me thinking about a few things, since she's my first. In some areas, kids develop along their own little flowchart as long as we don't get in their way. There are other areas of behavior where parents have more influence but of course the kids' temperaments also have an effect.

My poll lists a few topics of hotly debated toddler behavior such as sleep and binky habits. I'd love to see how the bbb community responds. If your child/children are older, try to think back as best you can. If you've had more than one two-year-old, just answer whatever makes sense to you.

Please feel free to comment if any of this strikes you as interesting. Especially if your two-year-old's habits (and their parents' habits) didn't quite go as planned.

chozen
10-23-2011, 04:19 PM
what poll?

Uno-Mom
10-23-2011, 04:25 PM
what poll?

It took me a minute to add because I typed in so many options. It should be there now.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-23-2011, 04:53 PM
ds is not quite 2, but i participated anyway. :) i checked crib sleeping (since 6weeks old..he hated the co-sleeper!) we did get a toddler bed from grandparents as a gift, but we figured DS still loves his crib and sleeps so well in it, why mess with a good thing? I like knowing that he's well contained :) DS is too tall now for it anyway..we may save it for DD.

no longer breastfeeding since he weaned at 12mo, partially bc i was preggo with DD and he no longer seemed interested. am hoping i can get close to 2 with DD though.

i definitely don't babywear DS anymore, not since he was 7 or 8 months. He refuses it. Loves the shopping cart, or the stroller, or walking. DD seems to still enjoy being worn though.

DS was never really into pacis, but he still sucks his thumb sometimes, especially when he is tired or scared. I think this is the biggest thing we get comments on from strangers/acquaintances (saying things like "Isn't he too old to be doing that?" or "Isn't that bad for the teeth?" Usually it's mostly older generation though that says these things...)

with potty training, kinda cross between loving diapers and work in progress. when i ask him if he's pooped in his diaper he will now say yes and go his room to get changed. before he would always insist "No poo-poo!" and really put up a fight for diaper change bc he really didn't want to stop playing.

hopeful_mama
10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
DD turned two this past week. She is crib sleeping, never used bottles, rarely used a binky, but is an ardent thumb sucker. At about 16 months she proved to herself that she could pee in the potty, three days in a row, and then steadfastly refused to try again - I haven't been brave enough to bring up the issue again lately :rotflmao:

Uno-Mom
10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
At about 16 months she proved to herself that she could pee in the potty, three days in a row, and then steadfastly refused to try again - I haven't been brave enough to bring up the issue again lately :rotflmao:

Gosh, did our daughters consult each other on potty training techniques? That's our story exactly. She even pooped in it a couple times. Now, meh. The potty is just another chair in the bathroom as far as she's concerned!

Pear
10-23-2011, 05:19 PM
From 13-18 months DD used the potty all the time. We still had in her diapers, but she could stay dry for days. Then one day she just stopped. 2yrs 7mo and we are struggling to get her to try it again.

kerridean
10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
I will vote for my first DD. She was fully in a twin bed because we needed the crib for her sister who was born when she was 22 months old. We took her pacifier away at 4 months old. She was not toilet trained until 3 1/2!! NO bottles after 12 months!!

DD2: Same except she was still in a crib at 2 and was toilet trained by 2 1/2.

essnce629
10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
DS1
Crib broke the month he turned 2 so we moved to a toddler bed (hadn't planned on moving him before then though)
Took binky away cold turkey the month he turned 2
Potty trained the month he turned 2
Self-weaned two weeks after he turned 2

DS2
Crib also broke the month he turned 2 so he moved to a toddler bed! (also hadn't planned on moving him)
He still comes into our bed some nights after 2am
Was using binky at sleep time, but lost it and never replaced it at 25 months
Potty trained at 25 months
Nursing twice a day at 2, and is still nursing 1-2 times a day at 29 months

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
At 2 both boys were happily in a crib and wearing diapers. They weaned from nursing a few months prior (17 and 19m). Ds1 never took a pacifier. Ds2 took one briefly and stopped using it when he was 5m old, a month before I was planning to take it away. I might have worn ds2 1-2 times when he was 2 but not a regular thing.

beth

MSWR0319
10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
A week before 2 DS climbed out of his crib. So we converted. I still wish we had gotten a crib tent instead but everyone talked me out of it. We had planned on him being in his crib for as long as possible.

ETA he also only used his pacifier at nap and be time. He was never really into it during the day unless he was upset. I just took it away during the day probably around 18 mo and he didn't even notice. Nighttime weaning was a whole different story! That happened at 2.5.

crl
10-23-2011, 06:14 PM
DS never had a binky (not because I didn't want him to, but his orphanage hadn't given them and I wasn't going to start at 14 months). He was in a toddler bed because I had caught him in the act of climbing out of his crib at somewhere around 22 months. He was still taking one last bottle of formula at bedtime and had a bottle of water in his bed all night to drink from. He was still completely in diapers.

Catherine

MommyofAmaya
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
I was easily able to vote for both kids since they were complete opposites.

DD:
No paci
Weaned at 12mo
Sleeping in big girl bed at 2
Potty training at 2

DS:
Night paci till nearly 3
Nursing till nearly 3
Co-sleeping until 3
Potty trained at 3

BayGirl2
10-23-2011, 06:45 PM
I checked in a crib and wearing diapers at 2. But by 26 months DS started potty training and moved to a twin bed. We still wear him on on our back sometimes. Nothing else applied anytime past one year.

scrooks
10-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Crib sleeping and diaper wearing for both of mine at 2. Neither one ever took a binky. Dd is 4 and still sucks her thumb. Neither one technically took (takes) a bottle at 2 BUT DS is VERY particular and will still (at 25 months) only drink milk out of the nuby sippies which are basically a half step above a bottle.

lalasmama
10-23-2011, 07:44 PM
I have very clear recollections of DD at 2yo. I enjoyed her 2yo self very much.

She was still sleeping in my bed, despite having a crib AND a twin bed in her bedroom.

She enjoyed a bottle nightly. (She was bouncing between houses at that point, so I was trying to keep that bonding/close time as long as possible.)

Like many others, she found potty love around 18 months, and well before 2 years, left the potty for diapers again.

... and she would be in a sling to this day if I didn't call it quits! I guess more accurately, I haven't fully called it quits, we have just stopped using the sling. She's still often on my back (at 7.5yo), because she thinks it's fun, and she still obviously needs the closeness it brings. But as you know, it's a child who didn't have a stable start to life, so I'm willing to indulge this little "baby" part of her still if it will make her feel more connected.

MoJo
10-23-2011, 08:01 PM
At 2, she was a crib sleeping, diaper-wearing, thumb-sucking little girl.

She had showed some signs of potty training before that, but everyone advised me not to try with a baby on the way.

At 2 years and 3 weeks (and two weeks after baby sister was born) she became an avid co-sleeper after several rounds of bad thunderstorms.

She potty trained very easily around 2 1/2, but still co-sleeps and still sucks her thumb, especially before sleep.

Uno-Mom
10-23-2011, 08:29 PM
You all have me feeling pretty average so far! (Not that there are any values associate with these behaviors - just that my kid has much in common with most of yours' at this age.)

katydid1971
10-23-2011, 08:33 PM
I put that she was breast feeding but I cut her off cold turkey when she hit two. She would still be nursing if I hadn't ;) Co-Sleeping and diapers lasted until 3 when she got her big girl bed for potty training!! I still throw here into the ergo when we are places that are crowded or to far for her to walk or if I think we might be out longer than she will be awake.

MamaInMarch
10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
At 2, DS was a paci-addicted, bed sharing, self potty training, breastfeeding wild man. Now at 31 months, he is completely potty trained, still paci-addicted and bed sharing. I weaned him completely just after his second birthday 'cause I was d.o.n.e. nursing and wanted a break before baby #2 came along. Oh - and still a wild man!;)

maestramommy
10-23-2011, 09:46 PM
When my kids turned two, they were

in diapers 100% with no end in sight
sleeping with a lovey
sleeping in a crib
Being worn now and then. Cept Arwyn. For some reason she didn't get worn starting shortly before 2. Laurel hasn't been worn for the longest time, but suddenly I've started wearing her when I walk Shep in the evenings, because I don't trust her to walk with me in the dark. That's the only time though. The older girls slept in a crib for the longest time, but as of tonight Laurel has been sleeping on a mattress on the floor for 4 days. If she keeps it up we are looking for a toddler bed and moving her in with her sisters permanently.

And for Laurel I wanted to add: running me ragged.

ZeeBaby
10-23-2011, 10:07 PM
When DD1 was 2 she was in her crib, weaned from breast and bottle and potty trained by 26 mos. at 3 she is night trained as well. Weaned off the paci at 6 mos (I think, can't remember clearly).

At 2 DD2 is weaned from bottle and breast. Never had a paci. She is in her crib. Started potty training last Monday, she finally realized she was peeing on herself on Thursday lol. So not going too well. Lol.

Gena
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
When DS turned 2, we were trying to transition from co-sleeping to crib sleeping. The transition did not go well, and DH or I often ended up sleeping on the floor next to the crib. A coule of months after DS turned 2, we moved him to a twin bed and sleep got much easier.

DS still loved his binky, but we restricted it to nighttime and at church.

DS was completely not interested in potty training.

I still wore DS at times.

Other stuff:

We moved from MI to OH a month before DS turned 2.

DS was still completely non-verbal at 2. He had his first speech eval at 22 months and started EI once we got settled in our new home. He did not talk until he was almost 3, but he started reading/spelling soon after he turned 2 (hyperlexia).

At his 2 year well-child check, we got a referral to the pediatric ophthalmologist and DS got his first pair of glasses a couple of months later.

wildfire
10-23-2011, 11:34 PM
I said I don't babywear, but I do it occasionally. She would much rather walk but there are times when we need her a bit more contained. I do have a carrier that she still fits in just fine.

citymama
10-24-2011, 02:13 AM
-Crib sleeping - through the night until 3 when bam, the crib sides came down and she woke up every frickin' night to come to our bed
-Started PTing at 23-24 months and had it nailed down by 26 months; wore diapers at night until close to 3
-We were still working on bottle weaning :bag
-Still baby wearing in the Ergo but also using the stroller a lot more

klwa
10-24-2011, 06:47 AM
Both of my kids were sleeping in cribs. (Both moved into big kid beds a few months later.) DD still had her paci. :bag (She gave it up at about her 3rd birthday when she hid all of them & we told her she couldn't have any more. I've been finding them all over the place since.) DS gave his up at about 3 months. (YAY!)

Oh yeah, and we were in the process of potty training. Both were, for the most part, daytime trained by 3. DD seems to be following big brother's lead of not being night trained.....

vonfirmath
10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
By age 2 do you mean the day they turned 2, or during their 2nd year? Because my son moved to a big boy bed at 26 months.

TwoBees
10-24-2011, 10:27 AM
Dd just turned 2 yesterday. Here's what I answered:

-Big girl bed (toddler bed, really). She was fighting going to bed, and is a very independent little girl, so we moved her to her toddler bed about 6 weeks ago.

-Still loving the diapers AND potty training in progress - She has shown interest in the potty, and I am encouraging that interest and will be buying a potty soon.

--Still toddler wearing - I never wore her very much, but do every once in a while when I need to have my hand free/her close by and safe and the stroller isn't an option.

khalloc
10-24-2011, 10:44 AM
Both my kids were sleeping in a crib. DD moved to a bed shortly after. DD was potty training some, DS was still in diapers with no real PTing.

Clarity
10-24-2011, 11:13 AM
At 2, both my girls were still in a crib. We moved dd1 into a queen bed at 2 1/2 so that little sister could have the crib.

At 2, dd1 was pt'd and at 2, dd2 was working on pt'ing. DD2 pt'd at 24 months then regressed after we moved but she was finally fully pt'd at 26 months.

DD1 never used a pacifier and did not use the occasional bottle past 18 months. She weaned from bf'ding at 16 months.

DD2 used as pacifier until she was about 11 months - I took them away at that point. She weaned from bf'ding at 20 months and while I can't quite recall when we stopped giving her a bottle, I know that she was no longer getting one by age 2.

Both girls rearfaced until they were about 2 1/2. DD1 met the weight limits for her MA at that age and I just caved with dd2, she was a couple of lbs light of the MA weight limit but the girls were antagonizing each other too much by then. The configuration of carseats was easier with her front facing. That Radian XLT really is XLT!!

mommyp
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
At 2 DD loved her crib and was wearing diapers. She never used a pacifier, but often sucked her fingers as she fell asleep. She moved to her toddler bed at 2 y 4 m and wasn't completely potty trained until 3 y 4 m.

AnnieW625
10-24-2011, 05:12 PM
DD1 was still in a crib, and still in diapers. However by 27 mo ths she was out of the crib and in a twin bed. She potty trained a month after she turned 3. She was drinking out of a dippy cup full time. She had not been breast fed since 4 months, and had just started drinking soy milk instead of cows milk because of constant runny noses (she'd get from drinking cows milk). And she loved the back carry in the Beco, which was amazing because on a whim (pre spending lots of time on BBB) I decided I needed to get her a carrier when she was 18+ mos. old. We carried her that way until she was almost 4:).

I voted for crib sleeping, and still loving diapers, but should have also voted for toddler wearing.