PDA

View Full Version : How old was your kid when (s)he really started to play in the snow?

ourbabygirl
10-23-2011, 05:08 PM
If you have snow near you, of course. :)
DD just turned 3 and I'm wondering if she'll be into playing more in the snow this winter- if it would be worth getting her actual snow boots, in addition to her Target fake Ugg-like Circo boots (fashionable but not waterproof).

How old was/ were your DC when they really were playing in the snow? Any recs for snow boots that can be passed down to a younger brother?

TIA!

chozen
10-23-2011, 05:26 PM
our dd played in the snow last yr. and she had just turned three, so yes i think she would get some use out of snow boots, that is if you like the great white stuff as much as we do.:bouncy:

SnuggleBuggles
10-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Ds2 had a blast last year, when he turned 3.

Beth

AustenFan
10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
Not until 3 1/2.

MoJo
10-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Mine enjoyed it a few times at 2 1/2. . . now at three, she talks about it in eager anticipation nearly every day, and we hope not to have any snow for at least another month.

HIU8
10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
DD was 3 1/2. DS was 5 before he really played in the snow.

hillview
10-23-2011, 08:48 PM
3.5 for both boys. But still limited amout of time outside (maybe an hour if it is not SUPER cold).
/hillary

Kindra178
10-23-2011, 09:13 PM
2, for all three kids. One of my twins was the best shoveler last year.

maestramommy
10-23-2011, 09:50 PM
We moved out here when Dora was 3 and Arwyn was 1 (roughly). We pulled them around in a sled the first year, and they walked in the snow. I think last year (Dora was 5, Arwyn was 3) was the first year they really started getting into playing in the snow, sledding on their own, making snowballs, climbing hills, etc. But it all ends when they get snow in their jacket. I finally got wise (near the end) and bought them neck gaiters, and extra long mittens. But I can't seem to do anything about their boots cept keep the snowpants extra long. Dora of course, lasts a lot longer than Arwyn. I think it's just because she's taller, so she has less trouble getting around in deep snow.

this past winter Laurel played in the snow somewhat, but she spent most of her time catching runoff coming out of the gutter downspouts :shrug:

Gena
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
DS was fascinated by snow even as an infant. But he really stated loving it when he was 2.5 years old. That was the first winter we took him sledding on a big hill. He aso discovered the joys of filling his dump trucks with snow and pushing them around the yard.

shawnandangel
10-23-2011, 10:11 PM
When she was 2. We love the Land's End snow flurry boots for kids. They kept her feet warm and dry.

I also recommend GAP's snow bibs. Roomy for cloths underneath and nicely lined.

mom_hanna
10-23-2011, 11:01 PM
dd at 1! She has always loved the snow. ds at 2. He was more reluctant to be cold and wet. Now at 4 and 7 they both love snow and go out and play even when it is 10 degrees out. We just did Target snow boots (rubber bottoms with nylon uppers and fleece lining) in navy or black. dd didn't get "girl" boots until last year at 6 years old! Same with snow jackets. dd got her first "girl" jacket last year. Snow pants are still black and get passed down to ds.

MontrealMum
10-23-2011, 11:13 PM
1 1/2ish. DS is a summer birthday and started walking at 9.5 mos. (in the spring). The following winter he really started enjoying the snow. Though I did spend a lot of time pulling him out of holes and snowbanks ;) We have long winters and are skiers so he's exposed to a lot of snow! We've always had Kamik boots for him.

MommyAllison
10-24-2011, 02:04 AM
2 for DD, 2.5 for DS.