PDA

View Full Version : Postage for 5x5 square envelopes?

inmypjs
10-23-2011, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know if it costs extra (more than a regular stamp) to mail 5x5 square envelopes? I know it used to, but I'm wondering whether it still does. All I can find online is that there "may" be an additional charge. TIA!

jerigirl
10-23-2011, 06:50 PM
It should be 64 cents to mail.

ETA: that is what I get when I do the calculate postage thing on the USPS website.

inmypjs
10-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks!

Melbel
10-23-2011, 07:11 PM
After having major issues on two occassions with square invitations, I will never, ever do it again. It is my understanding that the square envelopes have to be hand sorted, which is why you pay extra. In our case, the postal employees still put them in the machine sorter, causing many of them to be shredded or destroyed.

MMMommy
10-23-2011, 07:57 PM
Is this prompted by a holiday card creation? I've been working on our holiday card this weekend and was debating on the size to pick. I really like the look of the square size, but the "additional postage" prompt made me ditch the idea.

jbbhb
10-23-2011, 07:59 PM
If you are using tiny prints, they offer a rectangular envelope that is made to fit their square cards so you don't have to worry about the extra postage. Just fyi :)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

inmypjs
10-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I am looking at holiday cards. We just had photos taken and I would love to get them done early. I am using Shutterfly. I found a card I LOVE that is square. I decided I'd be willing to pay the extra postage, however I am concerned about the possibility of them being damaged/shredded. When I searched some more online, other people reported that problem with square envelopes too. So I've decided to find another choice. Bummer! But at least I know now.