PDA

View Full Version : Board games for 6 year old?

traciann
10-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I played Sorry with my dd the other night and she really enjoyed it. I am thinking she is ready for some new board games. I saw Monopoly Jr, but can anyone recommend any other great games for this age group?

KrisM
10-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Monopoly Jr is good. By 7, we moved to regular Monopoly though.
Blokus and Blokus 3D
Yahtzee

Those are our favorites. I feel like I'm missing something though!

hbridge
10-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Trouble
Lego Harry Potter (it's nice and short...)
Life (although it's a little challenging for the 6 to 8 crowd)
Checkers/Chess

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
Sorry Sliders
Uno...or for more fun, Uno Attack
Clue Jr.
Labyrinth Jr.

Beth

KrisM
10-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Sorry Sliders
Uno...or for more fun, Uno Attack
Clue Jr.
Labyrinth Jr.

Beth

Do you have regular Labyrinth, by chance? I'm thinking of that for DS1, who's 7.5 now.

pakin
10-24-2011, 09:42 AM
My 6 y.o. DD enjoys
No Stress Chess
Uno
Sorry (We have the Disney edition.)
and Order's Up http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-7110-Orders-Up/dp/B003D76D6W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319463596&sr=8-2

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

bekahjean
10-24-2011, 10:39 AM
It's not really a board game, but DSS loved Mancala since he was about that age. It's good because it requires some math thinking/counting. 6 is about the age that DH started teaching him chess.

His favorite game from that age was mousetrap. He wasn't quite able to put all the pieces together, but he LOVED it for years (up until about last year, so until he was 12).

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Do you have regular Labyrinth, by chance? I'm thinking of that for DS1, who's 7.5 now.

But of course!! :) If it's a board game odds are good we have it. Ds1 started playing the regular version around 6yo. We also really enjoy Magic Labyrinth.

I also recommend Mille Bornes. Just the card game is good but I'm going to get the board game version too:
http://www.amazon.com/Fundex-4810-Mille-Bornes-Board/dp/B003Z9L4JY/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319469852&sr=1-5

Beth

KrisM
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
But of course!! :) If it's a board game odds are good we have it. Ds1 started playing the regular version around 6yo. We also really enjoy Magic Labyrinth.

I also recommend Mille Bornes. Just the card game is good but I'm going to get the board game version too:
http://www.amazon.com/Fundex-4810-Mille-Bornes-Board/dp/B003Z9L4JY/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1319469852&sr=1-5

Beth

Great. I will leave it on for him then. I'll check out Mille Bornes, too. We're getting Ticket to Ride for sure, too. I really like that game and it seems like something he'd enjoy - game, trains, maps.

Melaine
10-24-2011, 12:57 PM
My girls really enjoy Uno and it has helped them learn their numbers (which have been slow for us compared to letters that were easy to learn). Obviously, your 6 year old probably knows numbers already but just for others reading the thread....it's a good one for us. We have also played enjoyed Yahtzee and I want to get Sorry.

traciann
10-24-2011, 01:08 PM
My girls really enjoy Uno and it has helped them learn their numbers (which have been slow for us compared to letters that were easy to learn). Obviously, your 6 year old probably knows numbers already but just for others reading the thread....it's a good one for us. We have also played enjoyed Yahtzee and I want to get Sorry.

She does know how to play Uno...I just never remember to pull that one out!

For those of you who have Yahtzee, do you have the regular version or are you using a jr version? I thought about it, but then wondered if she would understand the 3 of a kind, full house, etc.

I was also looking at Sequence for Kids, Guess Who and Connect 4. Anyone have these games? Are they worth having?

I also thought about Trouble, but isnt it alot like Sorry? I sure did love the popping bubble!

KrisM
10-24-2011, 01:26 PM
She does know how to play Uno...I just never remember to pull that one out!

For those of you who have Yahtzee, do you have the regular version or are you using a jr version? I thought about it, but then wondered if she would understand the 3 of a kind, full house, etc.

I was also looking at Sequence for Kids, Guess Who and Connect 4. Anyone have these games? Are they worth having?

I also thought about Trouble, but isnt it alot like Sorry? I sure did love the popping bubble!

We play regular Yahtzee and started a bit before 7, but he could have played earlier.

Sequence for Kids is good, too. My 5 yo plays it and we like the game. Connect 4 is also good. Don't have Guess Who.

We have Trouble, but are not really fans. It is similar to Sorry, but it just isn't as fun for some reason.

nfceagles
10-24-2011, 02:21 PM
My train loving 6 yo boy LOVES Ticket to Ride and my DH and I do too. We also have the ipad version which is quite awesome.

Percycat
10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
My family enjoys playing sleeping queens. It is a fun short card game we can play before bed. The cards are beautiful and I like that it sneaks in strategy and math.

Skip-bo --- made by Uno--- is another fun card game. We like to play this game with my parents and we play partners (3 teams of two).

We also like to play Qwirkle.

Percycat
10-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Beth

: )

So, do you also have Enchanted Forest? I was thinking about getting that for my 6 year old daughter. I looked at the Labyrinth game based on this discussion.... it seems pretty similar. Do you have any thoughts on the two games?

Thanks.
Angela

pakin
10-24-2011, 07:35 PM
DD got the game Enchanted Forest last Christmas. The game got NO LOVE here. It takes a very long time to play. I think we played it once and didn't even finish it.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
We don't own Enchanted Forest now but I did as a kid and I really liked it. i like all the Labyrinth games more though.

Beth