PDA

View Full Version : Side dishes for camping trip?

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2011, 09:30 AM
We're daycamping, MAYBE staying overnight with a bunch of friends this weekend. I finally signed up for bringing food and only side dishes are remaining. I'm happy to bring something from home prepared in advance, but probably should make one of the items on site, right? There are way more DC than adults, so the 2 dishes need to be very kid-friendly. Got any recipes you love?

o_mom
10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
What kind of facilities will they have there?

Also, I'm all for easy as can be when camping.... do as much as possible ahead, so I'm thinking cold pasta salad-type dishes that require no preparation when you get there.

overcome
10-24-2011, 07:25 PM
I don't know how many ppl are involved, but twice baked potatoes may work. Make them ahead, heat them up in aluminum pan over campfire. I have a good recipe if interested.

WatchingThemGrow
10-24-2011, 09:43 PM
There will be a campfire, and there may be a small grill warmed up. There's something like 17 adults and 20 kids milling about. Maybe I should do something that doesn't need to be cooked, come to think of it.

hellokitty
10-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Do you have access to a fridge or cooler? I'd do a simple veggie tray with dip and then make some sort of salad, like a broccoli salad that can be made up ahead of time and just kept chilled.

boolady
10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
If you really want to cook one of them there, what about dutch oven baked beans that you can put on the grill or fire or foil packets with sliced potatoes, onions, green pepper, a bit of oil or pat of butter and seasonings, prepared at home and then cooked over the fire?