PDA

View Full Version : Potty regression

ourbabygirl
10-25-2011, 12:05 PM
DD just turned 3, and since August she's been potty trained, but the last week or so she's been having a bunch of potty accidents.
When she was first potty trained, she would jump up and say "I have to go potty" as soon as she felt the urge, I guess, and she would go, no problems. Now she'll tell me she has to go potty, but by the time we get to the bathroom, it's too late, and she's already wet her pants (a little, or a lot, but usually enough where I need to change her undies & pants). :(
I'll ask her throughout the day if she needs to go, and she'll say no, and only rarely when I say that I have to go and ask her if she'll go with me, she will & will go.
Luckily going #2 in the potty isn't a problem, thank goodness, but I'm *so tired* of having to change her pants & underwear a few times a day that I want to just put her in pull-ups. I did that yesterday morning because I was so fed up, but I know that's not good because she won't really feel herself when she's wet, and she'll get lazy with going to the bathroom on the potty.

Any BTDT? I've tried bribing with M&M's if she stays dry until she goes potty, but that hasn't really worked much. Would a sticker & reward chart work? It's so frustrating; she knows that what she's doing isn't good, but she doesn't stop doing it!
It's funny, because she's doing the opposite of what she's been doing at pre-school since it started in September... she usually holds it, for whatever reason, and will rarely use the potty at pre-school, but she didn't have pre-school last week and now it's like she just lets it go whenever she wants to and doesn't tell me until it's too late. Pre-school started back up today, so we'll see how it went!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :bowdown:

emily
10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
No advice but when she has accidents, is she in the middle of doing something that she's really into? With DD, after she was PT for several months, it wasnt a matter of her having accidents but more she just couldn't be bothered to stop what she was doing to go to the bathroom. For example, if she and DS were playing in the play kitchen, she didnt want to lose her spot in front of the stove so she was just pee in her pants.

DietCokeLover
10-25-2011, 12:28 PM
My first thoughts are either:
similar to PP, she is too involved, busy in what she is doing to stop and go potty. Or - maybe she has a bladder infection.
Does she say it hurts or is the area red?

bekahjean
10-25-2011, 12:33 PM
No helpful advice, just a huge helping of sympathy! Will has never been fully potty trained, but today was especially bad. After he peed on the floor three times in an hour and a half, I gave up and put him in a pull up. I hope that being back in the routine of preschool gets her back on track!

MSWR0319
10-25-2011, 01:12 PM
We're going through the same thing. DS just turned 3 last week and has been trained since July with peeing. No accidents until last week and then he'd just pee in the middle of the floor. Those times I think he was too busy to mess with it. This week he's holding it and refusing to go until the last minute. I wondered about a bladder infection but he says it doesn't hurt to go. We still can't get him to poop in the potty, so on top of having to change poopy underwear at least once a day this peeing thing is driving me nuts! Good luck! If you figure something out, please pass it along!

ETA rewards aren't working for us either. He could care less!

malphy
10-26-2011, 07:20 PM
DD has had several pee accidents so I took her to dr today and she has a yeast infection to be treated topically with nystatin. They are culturing her urine to make sure she does not have a uti. She had no other symptoms other than the accidents.

ourbabygirl
11-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks, Everyone (and sorry for not getting back to this until now)!

So DD's been better (not *great,* but better) off and on... I didn't have to change her pants and undies at all today, and I might have once yesterday, but that's better than the 3 times or something that had been happening.

She definitely gets caught up doing other things, but at least the last couple of days she's either not had much to drink or maybe has stronger muscles because she's held it for a really long time and not had accidents. Today we left the house at about 10:10 to take her brother to the doctor.... she didn't go at all from the time she woke up (maybe 7:30) until probably noon when we got back from the dr. and Target. I asked her numerous times (right before we left the house, at the dr. a couple times, and at Target a couple times), but she always said she didn't need to go. Then when we got home she went (on the potty). This afternoon, after her nap, we went out to a corn maize, to get gas, and to a drive-thru, then home, and she didn't need to go at all when we were gone. So I don't know, I just hope it continues!

She's never mentioned that it hurts to go to the bathroom, but I can ask her pediatrician about it at her well-child appt. later this month.

I'll update again if anything changes! :)