PDA

View Full Version : 5 month old sleeping on stomach

Sunspot
10-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Is the SIDS risk calculated from due date or actual bdate? He's 5 months one week birthday but due date 4 months 3 weeks....and I keep waking to find him on his stomach. He can roll front and back during the day. Should I flip him? I did last night and he keeps going back to the same position.

It's a bit cold here in Chicago to have a fan going...anything else I can do or am I worrying too much?

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
If he can roll, he is strong enough to stay safe, imo. Just keep bumper pads, pillows...out of there so there is the best chance for fresh air around his face.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
10-26-2011, 09:07 AM
my DS started sleeping on his stomach at 4.5 months, DD about 5.5 months (and she was a preemie - 5 weeks early). both are fine. at this age there is literally nothing you can do once they learn to roll over, except for keeping pillows, blankets etc out of the crib. i agree with Beth, once they can roll, they can move their face for fresh air.

hoodlims
11-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Agree. I remember this being a huge concern for all of my friends at the same time. If they can get themselves there, they will do it over and over again. Don't keep trying to roll them back, because they won't stay. And eventually, they will roll themselves back and forth, but their might be a period of frustration in between because they are "stuck".

BabyBearsMom
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM
My DD was sleeping on her tummy around that time too. As long as she could role back the other way I was fine with it. Agree with PP to make sure there is nothing in the crib (bumpers, toys, blankets) to hinder her breathing or movement, but otherwise no issue to me. DD started sleeping much better when she started sleeping on her stomach. It made a huge difference for us.