PDA

View Full Version : My boys are 8 and 6--should I not have them wear matching sweaters?

justlearning
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
I bought argyle sweaters from Lands End at the end of the season last year on sale for $10. They fit my sons well now and look really nice on them, but I'm wondering if it's considered in poor taste for them to wear the same clothes to church or for pictures now that they're older. (When they were younger, I did have them wear matching shirts on occasion.)

They are the exact pattern--navy with hunter green and maroon diamonds. I could have them wear a different color of shirt underneath the sweater, but would that be enough?

lizzywednesday
10-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Our nieces are 9 and 7 and SIL still dresses them alike.

The only thing that's odd about it is they don't look good in the same styles, so it kind of looks forced now. (It's also getting harder to convince the older one to dress in a matching outfit to her sister & brother, but that's an age thing, not a "don't match kids' outfits over age #" thing.)

If they both look good in the sweater, where's the harm in dressing them in the same thing? I guess I don't see why it's "bad", KWIM?

Canna
10-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I wouldn't think it was a big deal at all!

(But I do dress my almost 4 and 7 y.o. DDs the same on occasion. They seem to like matching. And they don't always wear the outfits on the same days.)

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2011, 06:37 PM
At that age you should ask them.

Beth

sariana
10-26-2011, 06:50 PM
I don't think it's in poor taste at all, but I agree that they are old enough to have a say in the matter. What do they think?

I wouldn't dress them the same on a daily basis, but family photos and holiday events are a special case, IMO.

I like the idea of having them wear different-colored shirts beneath, though I don't think even that is necessary. But it does give then the chance to be "individuals."

I don't know if it's different for girls, but my sister and I are 2 years apart, and we wore matching clothes at that age and beyond. I thought it was fun. (again, for special events--holidays, weddings, photos)

justlearning
10-26-2011, 07:02 PM
My boys couldn't care less if they wear matching sweaters! And they do look nice on them. I just thought that it might seem strange to have them matching at that age.

So do you think that for a picture to use on our Christmas cards, it would look good to have them in the matching sweaters or would it look a lot better to put one boy in the argyle sweater and then have the other wear a solid sweater vest and shirt in coordinating colors? The picture will be of just the two of them.

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't have them match if it were me. I'd have them coordinate.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow
10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
There's a family at church who used to dress all 3 boys in matching clothes each week. Now that they are 9, 7, and 6, I have a hard time finding them because they aren't ever matching anymore.

I'd say that if they want to still do it this year, then go for it. If not, can you return the sweaters?

brittone2
10-26-2011, 07:59 PM
I coordinate DS1 (7.5) with DS2 (19 months) for things like pictures. They don't "match" but they coordinate. Last year for pics DS1 wore an all red sweater, and DS2 wore an argyle vest with red/brown. And DD coordinates too, but doesn't match (obviously ;) ).

If they aren't opposed and the style looks good on both, I wouldn't have a problem with them matching.

hellokitty
10-26-2011, 08:57 PM
If they don't care, I don't see the harm. However, if they protest, then it's probably time to stop matching their clothes like that. Last yr was my last time matching my boys up for their christmas picture. I'm so sick and tired of sweater vests and they are too.

KpbS
10-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I'd have them wear the sweaters. They look good, you already have them purchased, and the boys don't mind/care/etc. My boys (7 and 3.5) don't care what they wear but like to match when they do.

Now if you had more than 2 or you were trying to match the whole family in patterned sweaters for the Christmas photo (:rotflmao:) then yeah, I'd say skip it.

hoodlims
10-29-2011, 12:02 AM
You already have them, so you might as well. 8 is still young enough to be cute. Just coordinate next year.