PDA

View Full Version : PT, Day 2 - So frustrated!

sunshine873
10-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Update in post #5 - things are going well!

It is the end of Day 2 of Potty Training. DD is 2.75 & we are using the 3 day potty training method. We threw out all of the diapers, no pull-ups, etc. I'm committed. I feel like going back to diapers would totally be sending her the wrong message. Yet, I am sooooo frustrated, and feel like I am at the end of my rope. So glad it's bedtime, but I know we'll be in & out of her room a few times tonight, changing sheets, etc.

So far...she just doesn't seem to get it. She doesn't seem to understand the "I need to go potty" feel before she starts to go. Yesterday was a disaster. Today she'll tell me once she starts to feel the wetness in her underwear. So while she's going, she'll look at me & say, "Mommy, I have to go potty." By the time I get her to the bathroom, she's done. Ugh. We've had a few very tiny successes that I've played up as if she just won the Nobel Peace Prize. Stickers seem to be an awesome currency for her, so anytime she goes in the potty, she gets a sticker & she loves that.

Anyway, I'm hoping it'll click in her brain soon to tell me prior to going that she has to go. Tomorrow...Please? Anyone with a pep-talk or advice?

SnuggleBuggles
10-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I didn't follow any official method but we went cold turkey. It took 6 frustrating days then it just clicked. Ds2 was 3.5yo though.

Beth

jgenie
10-26-2011, 08:15 PM
We used the same 3 day method. DS1 was 3 y 2 months when we did it. The first 2.5 days were messy but by the end of the 3rd day it clicked. It took a couple more weeks for him to be dry at night but that was more about me being too sleep deprived to go in early to get him to the bathroom. Hang in there!!

sunshine873
10-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Just what I needed to hear...thank you! Right now in the midst of it, it feels like this is what life is going to be like forever. I can picture it now, we'll be taking her to college saying, "Remember to tell mommy & daddy when you need to go potty!" ;)

sunshine873
11-01-2011, 05:55 PM
OK, it's been a week & things have gotten sooooo much better! Yes, we still have a few accidents (at least one a day, sometimes more.) But she's starting to tell us before she has to go (usually.)

I'm so glad we threw all of the diapers out as part of the "getting started" process. It really helped to keep us committed to the plan. Nighttime & naptime have been going surprisingly well (dry sheets since day 2.)

I need to bring extra underwear & change of pants when I leave the house, but I definitely feel like she's made huge strides in the right direction. Horray! :bighand:

jgenie
11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Congrats!! I know it seems like it will never happen and then something just starts to click for them. :bighand:

boilermakermom
11-03-2011, 08:40 AM
we are going to start this today. we gave our diapers to the baby next door yesterday evening.

the only question i have is how did you get your LO to fall asleep without a pullup/diaper? I know that is going to be a problem for us. (as in, a TON of screaming....)