PDA

View Full Version : UPDATEif your child as taken focalin xr-how long before you saw results (pos or neg)?

HIU8
10-27-2011, 10:22 AM
After a couple of weeks DS's dosage was changed. He now takes 2 5 mg pills in the morning. His sunday school teacher mentioned to me yesterday how he was just so much more focused and able to participate than normally. His regular teachers are keeping notes all week and will let me know at the end of the week. Saturday I noticed that DS didn't act out of control silly at karate (like rolling on the floor and throwing karate equipment). They didn't have to talk to him once. He may need a booster in the afternoons (only on days where he has afterschool activities though). DH and I are noticing what others are saying AND DS actually told me that he feels more focused and centered. I think we finally hit it right for now.

__________________________________________________ ____________

We just started focalin xr on Saturday. Our doc said we would know if it was working within 4 days. It's been 5 days and we see NOTHING. teachers say no difference at school either so far. We don't go back to the doc until Nov. 25th. Do I just call them after a week and say we see absolutely nothing, or do I just stay with the initial dosage and wait it out for a month?

Also, if your child is on focalin--are they hperactive, innatentive or combination type? My DS is combination type but much more innatentive than hyperactive. He is not hyper at school at all (mostly innatentive). I'm hoping the teachers can accurately tell me if they notice a difference in his ability to focus?

Also, DS will be 7 in a month, weighs 56 lbs and the current dosage is 5 mg.

pinkmomagain
10-27-2011, 02:27 PM
If the dr is saying that you should note a difference in a few days and you don't, I would pick up the phone and let him know. I would not wait until next month's appt. He may have you increase dosage before then. Unfortunately, some behavior and mood meds do take several weeks to take effect and it is a real pain when you are trying to figure out what works, dosage, etc. But if this is a med that doesn't take long, don't waste your time at the current dosage.

Unfortunately, I don't remember how long it took for it to kick in when dd was on it several years ago, not what dosage she was on. She is inattentive type.

Pepper
10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
DS1 is on ritalin (well, the generic version) since focalin xr is not approved for kids under 6 (he's 5-1/2). But I wanted to chime in because I also was told that we should see an effect within a few days. I started him off at 2.5 mg (he's 40 lbs) and didn't see anything after 3 days, so I bumped him up to 5 mg. After about 3 weeks I noticed that he seemed really tired when he was on the med. His teacher even asked me if we'd changed meds because she noticed that he was a little lethargic, too. So I scaled back to 2.5 mg and he's doing better - still calm enough to particpate at school, but not a little "zombie" who only wants to sit on the couch and play DS, either.

My son is ADHD combined type, hyperactive and inattentive. The developmental ped didn't say if one was predominant but if I had to guess, I'd say it was the hyper part.

Our developmental ped gave me a checklist that I asked his teacher to fill out every week. It just asks about activity level, ability to complete tasks etc. and was useful to figure out how well the meds were working. I can post a link to the form if you'd like.

HTH.

HIU8
10-27-2011, 08:42 PM
Could you post the form. I would love to be able to give it to DS's teachers to fill out.

Dr C
10-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Here's a link for you for the form Pepper is probably talking about (Vanderbilt Forms):
http://www.nichq.org/adhd_tools.html
There are initial and followup forms for both parents and teachers.

I would expect some result by now. They are short acting meds, and usually if they're going to work they work right away. Of course it can take a few days for the body to adjust, and sometimes initial side effects improve after a few days, but basically if you see absolutely no effect at this point, it probably makes sense to bump up the dose. There's a very wide range of appropriate doses and your doc probably appropriately started fairly low, because you never know how kids are going to react! I'd definitely give a call.

HIU8
10-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks. I sent her an email today and should hear back tomorrow.

On a related note: Does anyone know if allergy meds such as loratadine (claritin) is ok to take with focalin xr? DS needs to start up on his allergy meds again (he basically lives on them fall/winter and spring). I can't give him zyrtec b/c it puts him to sleep. He has never tried allegra, but responds really well to claritin. I'm hesitant to give it to him (he has a cough that started 5 days ago) until I hear back from the doc.

pinkmomagain
10-27-2011, 11:36 PM
Of course check with the doc or the pharmacy, but dd took focalin xr along with allegra and singulair with no problems.

HIU8
10-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks. Doc told me any are safe to take. So DS goes back on claritin ready tabs tomorrow morning.

cuca_
10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks. I sent her an email today and should hear back tomorrow.

On a related note: Does anyone know if allergy meds such as loratadine (claritin) is ok to take with focalin xr? DS needs to start up on his allergy meds again (he basically lives on them fall/winter and spring). I can't give him zyrtec b/c it puts him to sleep. He has never tried allegra, but responds really well to claritin. I'm hesitant to give it to him (he has a cough that started 5 days ago) until I hear back from the doc.

I just wanted to let you know, since you mentioned your DS allergies, that DDs doctor once told us that allergies can have an effect on the effectiveness of focalin. I don't remember details, but we were having issues with DD, and when the Dr. saw her he said she had seasonal allergies and that she needed to go on meds right away. She started Allegra and it seemed to make a difference in school. Maybe once you start your DS on his allergy meds, you will see a difference.

I'm sorry I can't provide more information about the effect of allergies on the meds, but maybe ask your Dr. about it.

HIU8
10-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks. DS takes claritin per the ENT to keep his airway open. He has never been tested for allergies. He has issues fall, winter and spring. We were thinking of taking him for allergy testing anyway since he still needs the claritin even after his tonsils and adenoids were removed due to sleep apnea.

Meanwhile, while on focalin, we will keep him on the claritin. Thanks for the info.

chays
10-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Heather,

DS1 takes Focalin XR. He took 5 mg for 7 days then we increased to 10 for the rest of the month. Saw NO change at 5 and only a tiny change at 10. 15 seems OK, he has been on that for a month now. I can see a real difference when he is at school. He has lost his "happy" but hopefully that will come back. My sister's kids are on concerta and she said it took a few months to see DN happy again. Luckily, he is still eating well and sleeping reasonably well. He was on Concerta 18mg for a week and didn't go to bed before midnight once that week. Now he is in bed by about 8:30 and sleeps until about 7.

Good luck! We go back to the dev ped next week so it will be interesting what he has to say. This is the first visit since we started the meds.

HIU8
10-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks. DH said this morning at karate there was a marked difference with DS. He was not called out ONCE during class (whereas lately he has been called out over 10 times by the instructor during the 30 minute class). I have also noticed that it wore off around 3 ish and then DS was a hper mess for awhile (today he got it between 9 and 10 am whereas during the week he takes it at 7 am). His bedtime has not been affected so much. His appetite has though. We are probably going to let him drink a kids boost/pediasure daily b/c of it (he eats bfast, snack, lunch, snack dinner, snack, BUT normally he eats each of these as a small meal. Now he has decreased the amount per meal and/or will totally skip a snack).

JTsMom
10-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Thanks. DH said this morning at karate there was a marked difference with DS. He was not called out ONCE during class (whereas lately he has been called out over 10 times by the instructor during the 30 minute class).
:bighand: Progress!

HIU8
10-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Now, if I could just get his teachers to understand that ADHD meds are NOT just for kids who are primarily hyper.... They have already voiced their opinios--why did I do this. Then they turn around and say he is bored b/c he doesn't pay attention in class and says nonsensical words (had to have the OT explain to them about how DS deals with sensory overload). I'm meeting with them on Tuesday to talk about how DS is in school for the past week and to ask to have him moved up to the grade where he belongs (now that they get that he isn't immature, but it's just the ADHD).

HIU8
11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Update in OP