PDA

View Full Version : Can I Make Pancake or Waffle Batter the Night Before

Kindra178
10-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I am hoping to start using my new waffle maker. Thought I would try pumpkin waffles since the pancakes were a huge hit (thanks A and others!). Although weekend mornings are less hectic, I would still like to streamline my routine and make breakfast quicker in the am. Can I make batter the night before? Thanks!

Seitvonzu
10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
i wouldn't do it...something about the baking powder that would not be as active in the morning? we always mix the mix up when the waffle iron is heating anyhow...even doing it from scratch it doesn't take too long-- have fun with your waffle iron!

marie
10-28-2011, 03:52 PM
This recipe is meant to sit for 12-24 hours so it's perfect for any morning. It's my whole wheat version of a CI/ATK recipe.

1 3/4 cup milk
8 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Heat milk in small saucepan. Drop butter into milk to melt. Cool mixture to 95-105 degrees F.

Whisk together flour, sugar, salt and yeast in large bowl. Slowly whisk in milk/butter mixture. In small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla. Then add egg mixture into batter. Scrape down sides of bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 12-24 hours. In the morning, whisk the batter a little before making the waffles.

I've only used this recipe with a regular waffle iron so I don't know how they would come out in a Belgian waffler.

nfowife
10-28-2011, 03:52 PM
I've done waffle batter before. It might thicken a bit overnight but you can just add some more milk/water to thin it out again. It works just fine.

marie
10-28-2011, 03:54 PM
i wouldn't do it...something about the baking powder that would not be as active in the morning? we always mix the mix up when the waffle iron is heating anyhow...even doing it from scratch it doesn't take too long-- have fun with your waffle iron!

:yeahthat:
It really doesn't take that long - especially if you mix together the dry ingredients the night before. The other morning I had waffle batter ready to go in 4 minutes. DH said that he wouldn't have even been able to decide on what to make in 4 minutes. LOL

Hint - plug in the waffle iron first, then put together the batter.

rin
10-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Absolutely! In my experience waffle batter is better after sitting overnight because all the liquid gets absorbed into the flour, and there are no lumps. Crepe batter, too. Just whisk it up in the morning & maybe add a splash more milk if it seems a bit too thick.

ETA: Just read the warnings about baking powder; that's totally true. We use a yeasted waffle recipe, but baking powder totally loses its rising power after sitting for too long. I would never pre-mix pancake batter for that reason. If you want you could always pre-mix the dry & wet ingredients into two bowls & then just toss them into one another in the morning.

ncat
10-28-2011, 04:55 PM
The yeasted waffle batter rises overnight. I liked it, but my kids and DH did not.

When I worked at a breakfast restaurant, we always let pancake batter sit in the refrigerator overnight. It was fine, but I think it may have been a little heavy on the baking powder.

arivecchi
10-28-2011, 05:03 PM
I refrigerate our TJs pumpkin pancake batter overnight all the time! No issues! I usually add a bit more milk in the morning because it solidifies a little. Enjoy! :)

mackmama
10-28-2011, 07:27 PM
I've done it for both waffles and pancakes. It turns out fine, although a little fluffier.

bekahjean
10-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I usually will mix the dry and wet the night before and combine them in the morning, if I do at all. But my recipe is a big old pain, with buttermilk, sour cream, baking soda AND baking powder. It is pretty darn tasty though.

zoestargrove
10-29-2011, 08:27 AM
another option.

I quadruple the recipe when I make waffles and freeze or refrigerate the leftovers. They toast up in the toaster quickly and easily on school mornings.

salsah
10-29-2011, 07:45 PM
IIRC, the Joy of cooking recommends making pancake batter the night before.

oneplustwo
10-29-2011, 10:37 PM
IIRC, the Joy of cooking recommends making pancake batter the night before.

Your memory is correct, it does. I used to have leftover pancake batter on occasion so I'd put it in the fridge and cook it up the next day. Found the pancakes were BETTER on the second day that way. Then I read the Joy of Cooking, where they explained why that's so. Of course, now I can't recall the explanation, but I can go look it up if anyone is interested.