PDA

View Full Version : Jeans help!

etwahl
10-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Sorry for so many questions. I am needy right now ;)

I recently bought some new jeans from Nordstrom - Kut from the Kloth. I bought trouser jeans (http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kut-from-the-kloth-lightweight-denim-trousers-delight-wash/3168115?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=1616) which are really nice

and also these which I also like, BUT they are big in the back of my waist. http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kut-from-the-kloth-mini-boot-cut-jeans-glow-wash/3204469?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=736

I'm trying to decide if I should keep the second pair since the waist bows out. They are size 2, and I am usually around a size 4 I think. Size 0 would be too tight, because they fit in the legs and thigh.

I am very hour-glass shaped - small waist, but bigger in the hips and thighs. I'm new to premium denim - is there certain brands which might fit better? I'm going to try to get to Nordstroms and Bloomingdales this weekend, if I have time, but would love to know ahead of time what to keep my eyes out for (I'll also ask for help of course). I've seen 7 for All Mankind and Joe's Jeans recommended here.

Also, I tried on a pair of jeggings at Nordstrom and really liked them, but I only have boots in black. When I tried them on together, I thought that black boots were maybe too harsh in color to go with denim. I really love my black boots paired with black legging type pants though. Just curious if others feel this way. I'm not sure I'm ready to branch out and get brown boots, but I am going to at least look at the Frye Veronicas next time I get to the mall.

Would love more suggestions. The only other jeans I own are Luckys (I went the other day and didn't love anything) and a pair of boyfriend jeans from Loft. Clearly I need help!

DrSally
10-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I like the Kut brand, but I think maybe you could do better for fit. Some people here really like Joe's honey IIRC. I think it may have a curvier waist. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I don't buy premium denim, so IDK.

I think dark wash jeggings look fine w/black boots. I also have a pair of black jeggings (cookie brand) from NR that I can wear w/black boots. I also pair them with dark gray pointe knit pants (Max studio IIRC). They have a seam down the front and are a thicker material. I prefer jegging type pants or pointe knit pants to actual leggings (b/c they feel more like pants).

etwahl
10-28-2011, 06:20 PM
I like the Kut brand, but I think maybe you could do better for fit. Some people here really like Joe's honey IIRC. I think it may have a curvier waist. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I don't buy premium denim, so IDK.

I think dark wash jeggings look fine w/black boots. I also have a pair of black jeggings (cookie brand) from NR that I can wear w/black boots. I also pair them with dark gray pointe knit pants (Max studio IIRC). They have a seam down the front and are a thicker material. I prefer jegging type pants or pointe knit pants to actual leggings (b/c they feel more like pants).

That's actually where I got my black pants last year - from MaxStudio. Mine don't have the seam down the front, but I love them. They are a thick ponte pant and perfect. I haven't ventured into the actual "legging" pant, as I think I'd feel too exposed (or at least that's how I felt the one time I tried a pair of Hue on, hehe).

mackmama
10-28-2011, 07:34 PM
You'll probably like Joe's - it's good for hourglass figures and has a contoured cut that hugs the waist. You might want to try a bootcut in a stretch denim.

pinkmomagain
10-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Funny, I picked up 2 pairs of Kut from Nordstrom Rack today. I tried on the trouser (they had it, or something similar there) but it was too small. It was a 6 but too tight. No 8s. I got a pair of dark denim straight cut (or skinny) in a 6 which was very comfortable around the middle but I like it a bit tighter around the thights. Then I got a skinny pair in black in a 4, which looks great around the thighs but gapes at the lower back. I too am hourglass. I did take them both, but neither is ideal. I'll be curious if you get other suggestions. I do have a couple of pairs of NYDJ...I'm not in love.

alexsmommy
10-28-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm very curvy. My list to try (or I own) for premium denim:
joe'e jeans, honey cut and petite provocateur
Cookie jeans(I have the faith ones for wearing in boots and always get compliments)
Paige hidden Hills (have, love)
PZI
David Kahn "Lauren"
COH "Ava"
Jag jeans (any of the mid rise versions)

HTH

mjmamma
10-28-2011, 11:09 PM
I just looked up those Joe jean styles, I'm headed in to try some next week. I need a dark wash slim fit boot for my bootie...thanks

alexsmommy
10-29-2011, 07:52 AM
I just looked up those Joe jean styles, I'm headed in to try some next week. I need a dark wash slim fit boot for my bootie...thanks

Update with the fit. I haven't ordered the Joe's jeans because I typically need a 9" rise to avoid gapping. The honey's are listed at 7" and the PP's at 8". I plan on doing a several hour jean fitting trip to Nordies next month to get a list of jeans that fit so I can watch for sales.

etwahl
10-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Okay, so I went to Nordstroms today and brought three pairs home today (and returned the Kut pair - the salesgirl agreed they weren't a great fit with the bagging at the waist).

I won't keep all of them, but I want to wear them at home a bit to decide which feels best, plus the family was waiting. Also, all of them are WAY too long, which is unusual for me in jeans.

- AG the Angel boot cut, size 27 - These are super soft, stretchy, and comfortable.
- Joe's Jeans, The Honey, size 26 - These are also super soft and stretchy
- Paige, Hidden Hills, size 26 - probably my last favorite - they don't have much stretch at all, so they feel tighter and I'm not used to that. I'll wear them around home to see how I feel about them though.
- Citizens of Humanity, Amber, size 26 - they didn't have size 26 but I tried 27 and they fit nicely just a bit big, so I might try to order some size 26 on amazon to consider.

All the others bagged at my waist, but these did not, so I like that! Hope that helps someone.

alexsmommy
10-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Paige definitely does not have as much give as other jeans so you have to make sure they fit well at the get go. I like that they do not get baggy on me after one wearing, but they are not my going out for a large meal jeans either. Really, they keep me honest with food because I do have a tummy and I will feel it if I over indulge at a party. With the ones with more give, make sure they are tight (like almost feel too tight) when you put them on because and hour or two later they will fit correctly. I will add the AG's to my list to try.
I'm so glad you found some that work, curvy can be difficult!

etwahl
10-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Paige definitely does not have as much give as other jeans so you have to make sure they fit well at the get go. I like that they do not get baggy on me after one wearing, but they are not my going out for a large meal jeans either. Really, they keep me honest with food because I do have a tummy and I will feel it if I over indulge at a party. With the ones with more give, make sure they are tight (like almost feel too tight) when you put them on because and hour or two later they will fit correctly. I will add the AG's to my list to try.
I'm so glad you found some that work, curvy can be difficult!

I know I started out trying size 27 in everything but the girl said they weren't tight enough, but with the Paige, I think I might try again sometime in the future in a size 27 since you said I don't need them to be as tight. I'm such a newbie at this! The AG feel really comfy and stretchy. It's painful to spend so much on jeans though, lol! I did buy a pair of J Brand jeans last summer, cropped, for $175, and they split at the but after less than a year of wear, but I did put them in the dryer. I wonder if that's why?