PDA

View Full Version : Stroller help! - BOB Rev., BJCE?

sophie80
10-29-2011, 05:21 AM
I am trying to decide what stroller to get for my DD, who is due in January. Last time around with my son, I had a bob revolution and loved it. I sold it, not knowing we'd need a stroller again. ;) My only gripes with the bob were that my son outgrew it pretty quickly for height - he was a 95th percentile kid, but he was definitely pretty tall for the stroller at 2.

This time, I'm considering a bob revolution again, of course. I also did some looking at a Baby Jogger City Elite (but only online, because nowhere local carries it) and I think it could be a great alternative. We plan on using the stroller for lots and lots of heavy duty walking, but probably not jogging. I'd love something that can handle some bumpy sidewalks in regular use when we take DS to school, and "offroading" at the park - nothing too serious though.

I definitely plan on having some kind of stroller frame in the beginning (chicco caddy, maybe), and a city mini later on just for quick trips in and out. Ease of use with the carseat is a little less important to me, since that phase is so brief. I'd be grateful for any advice!

berlinsoul
11-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Heightwise the BJCE will be great for your kiddo, and it sure will do bumpy sidewalks without problem...but it is a wide, very tall/big stroller - not made for small parents. I think, the push is quite good, but if you are used to a Bob you might be disappointed.
It is very comfortable and cosy for the kids though. The fold is great, fits into the smallest car. I would have loved it if it was like 15% smaller.:wink2:

Kaylee31
11-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Maybe wait and get the Mini GT that supposed to come out in March? It has forever air tires like the Elite, but is only 20 lbs. (Mini is 16.5 and Elite is ~25 lbs.) That would eliminate the need for both an AT and the BJCM.

WatchingThemGrow
11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
That would eliminate the need for both an AT and the BJCM.
And the stroller frame. The BJCM can take a newborn.

beltm
11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
I have a Bjce for my very tall with long torso 3.5 yo and he still fits height wise with a little room to spare. I've never used a bob but I've stuck him in one at the store and his head hits the canopy. If your kid is on th very tall side I'd go for the Bjce. It been my daily stroller the past two years. I love pushing it and ds still loves riding in it. I will say that the mini gt looks great and if I didn't already have the Bjce I'd get that! But for a tall kid, Bjce wins over the bob!

legaleagle
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Have you considered any of the other full size ATs? I know the valco tri-mode and mb urban are good for tall kids, the swift and indie are a bit smaller I think.

roseyloxs
11-01-2011, 05:45 PM
BJCE sounds like a great fit for you. Go for it.

Smillow
11-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Have you considered any of the other full size ATs? I know the valco tri-mode and mb urban are good for tall kids, the swift and indie are a bit smaller I think.

But then you don't get the BJ fold! I have a Trimode & never want to put it in the van or truck again!

legaleagle
11-01-2011, 07:52 PM
True - though SQ reports that the trimodes are coming out with a much improved fold this spring, I'm sure it still won't be baby jogger easy.

sophie80
11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone! DD is due in mid-late January. I'm not sure we could wait until the GT comes out in March.

I'm a little worried that the BJCE push won't be as awesome as the BOB, but it's not that much larger than the 2011 BOB - I think the measurements say it's 26.5" wide (BOB is 25.5 wide). So I can't imagine it's a huge difference?

I almost wonder if the mini might suit all our needs? Or if we could skip the snap & go and use the mini for that instead? Sigh. So tough. I always want the "one" perfect stroller, and I know from experience there's not really any such thing!

sophie80
11-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Do any of you ladies with the BJCE have any photos you wouldn't mind sharing? I've had a hard time finding very many photos of the stroller IRL, and there aren't any stores locally where I can try it out - I'd be buying sight unseen!

sophie80
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Oh, and do you think that the BJCE would do as well as the BOB in the snow? That's something I adored about the BOB - we could take walks and get out for coffee no matter how icky the sidewalks were.

sophie80
11-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I totally need someone to push me over the edge into a decision. ;)

tribe pride
11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I have to say, IME, I'm not not crazy about BJ quality. I just sold my BJCCD, and compared to my MB and Valco, the BJ just didn't feel as sturdy. The material on the canopy wore holes in it fairly quickly, and I didn't care for all of the plastic. I know lots of people on here really like their BJs, though, so clearly they are fine strollers with some great features.

If I were in your shoes, though, I'd probably just get a BOB again, and resell it if your DD outgrows it too quickly. They resell so well, you'd likely make a lot of your money back. If you want to try something different, and are really concerned about seatback height, I agree with whoever recommend looking at Valcos. The trimode is great for off-roading, and I have a Quad, and LOVE it. Not sure how heavy-duty your walking is, but I've taken some very looong walks with mine (over pavement and grass, but not trails), and it has had no problems. It's more of a city stroller than the BOB or trimode, so not intended for heavy-duty use, but for every day walking around the neighborhood, the park, etc., it's great. Really, it pushes very, very well- much better than my BJCCD or P&T, actually- and is excellent quality.

sophie80
11-02-2011, 01:06 AM
Which parts of the BJCE are plastic that aren't on the bob? I know and love bob quality. It seemed that BJ was similar?

berlinsoul
11-02-2011, 04:50 AM
I can look if I can find some photos tonight, but I doubt it.
But try and google, I think there are some (comparison) photos online.
Baby Gizmo has a review of the BJCEDouble, so you can get an idea what the single might look. The features are the same, I guess.
http://www.babygizmo.com/media/video_babyjoggercityelitedouble2011.php

Apart from that: I used the BJCE in the snow and it was perfect!
I was a bit disappointed after the snow was gone (got the stroller during the winter) because the ride was less "floating" afterwards, if you know what I mean... ;)
I am looking forward to test the Swift in snow this year :)!

I agree that BJ feel less sturdy than Mountain Buggys.
But at least BJ is also a less expensive, right :)? Still, both can take up to 75lbs (MB 77lbs)...
I think, the seat and the canopy are really great features and a bit more comfy than the MBs (which are much prettier!) ...

If I were in your shoes I would maybe order your favorites, compare them side by side at home and send the ones back you don't like... The BJCE comes in a very handy package. (Heavy it is.)

Besides all, I think the Mini GT is a very attractive alternative. But, if it can handle snowy circumstances well?

arivecchi
11-02-2011, 06:40 AM
I have to say, IME, I'm not not crazy about BJ quality. I just sold my BJCCD, and compared to my MB and Valco, the BJ just didn't feel as sturdy. The material on the canopy wore holes in it fairly quickly, and I didn't care for all of the plastic. I know lots of people on here really like their BJs, though, so clearly they are fine strollers with some great features.

If I were in your shoes, though, I'd probably just get a BOB again, and resell it if your DD outgrows it too quickly. They resell so well, you'd likely make a lot of your money back. If you want to try something different, and are really concerned about seatback height, I agree with whoever recommend looking at Valcos. The trimode is great for off-roading

:yeahthat:

ITA. Baby Jogger quality is inferior. Lots of plastic. Pass.

Get the BOB. I think the height issue is really more the parent's issue than the kid's! They don't mind.

Valcos do have tall setbacks, but the push is not as good as the BOB or Mountain Buggy push.

I also had a BJCCD with TONS of issues.

For lots of snow, you'll need 16 inch rear tires.

tribe pride
11-02-2011, 08:02 AM
:

I missed the part about snow. If you need to push the stroller through the snow, then forget the Quad.

sophie80
11-02-2011, 08:37 AM
You ladies don't make it easy - seems pretty split between BOB and BJ. ;)

poohbear
11-02-2011, 09:01 AM
Here's the breakdown as I see it:
If you want amazing push and ability to trek through the snow while still not being incredibly difficult to get in and out of the car, go with the BOB.

If you want to be able to put your newborn in it or something a little more plush with some extra features (legrest, parent console) and super easy fold, go for the BJCE. The BJCE does not push as well as the BOB.

Or I would skip the frame and do a BOB/BJCM combo - I had that for a while and it was great :)

swissair81
11-02-2011, 09:51 AM

I realize that if we're stacking a BJCE against a BOB, that BOB wins hands down. However, I live in a fairly snowy state, I have a single with 10" tires and a double with 12" tires. I haven't had trouble with either of them in the snow (and a double is a heck of a lot harder to push than a single, as I'm sure you know).

arivecchi
11-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Yep, I've mostly used 12 inch tires in snow too and that works well, but I could plow through snowbanks with my 16 inch Terrain!

roseyloxs
11-02-2011, 01:59 PM
How about this? The BOB has great resale value as you know. So how about getting a BOB for now to tackle the winter. When the spring arrives and all the fabulous new strollers from BJ and Valco release you can pick up something new to do it all and sell the BOB.

Problem solved. You are welcome. ;)

sophie80
11-05-2011, 02:55 AM
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. I went to REI today and was able to look at the BJ Summit XC - which I know is not the City Elite, but it seems to be the closest thing I could get my hands on locally. After looking at the build and fabric, handles, baskets, and comparing the push, I think I'm going to have to go back to BOB, even though the BJCE will offer some features I won't get with the BOB. Even if DD outgrows the stroller when she's 2-2.5 - she won't be doing as much riding as before, and we can always sell it and get something with a higher seatback if needed, since BOBs retain their value so well.

tribe pride
11-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a great decision! Enjoy your new stroller!

sophie80
11-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Ugh. And now I found out that we can get a large discount on the Baby Jogger City Elite which makes it about $100 cheaper than the BOB for us. I'm not sure if that changes things for me or not - it's a big difference, a huge chunk of the cost of a mini. Hmmm.

legaleagle
11-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Seems like once you've gone BOB you can't go back....

Are you set on a mini as your light stroller? I'd probably go for something smaller to compliment a BOB - minis are just so darn wide in the back.

sophie80
11-05-2011, 06:27 PM
I really love the mini because it gives a lot of features for the weight and size.

But I'm really stuck on the all-terrain piece. I think it's because I'd be happy with the bob, but DH is hung up over the fact that everyone has one. I'm like, everyone has one because they are awesome, wellmade, and really hold their resale value.