PDA

View Full Version : If you DON'T wash your hair every day....

newmomto1
11-01-2011, 11:42 AM
I have always washed my hair every day.
I have thick, coarse, unevenly wavy/colicky dark hair and it's a production.
Every morning I wash, dry, flat iron....

Due to the fact that it's time consuming I would like to find a way to *maybe* wash every other day....even though the thought of it kind of grosses me out.

I have been reading about dry shampoos. Also read some ppl use baby powder or cornstarch in their hair between washes?

If you do not wash your hair every day....please tell me what you use and how you use it, and if it works well.

Also, I do think I will need to touch up with a flat iron....would I do that before or after applying dry shampoo / powder??

TIA!!!!

wellyes
11-01-2011, 11:43 AM
I usually apply a little Burt's Bees dusting powder to roots only, then brush out and flat iron.
I don't think it's gross. Washing every day with chemically shampoos is tough on hair.
But my hair did take a week or two to adjust..... felt greasy. Somehow once I got into the routine, it looked and felt better.

wendmatt
11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
If your hair is not greasy, you don't need to dry shampoo it, every other day is perfectly healthy. If it looks messy, you might need to blow it or flat iron it a bit to perk it up a bit but that's all I did when I'd wash every other, which I did if I blowed it out straight (for leaving it curly I wash every day).

hillview
11-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Um so I wash my hair every 3-4 days when I am not working out (aka traveling for work). I um don't do anything. It doesn't seem gross to me at all. I do shower. My hair looks BEST 1-2 days after washing (unless I work out).
/hillary

Twoboos
11-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Um so I wash my hair every 3-4 days when I am not working out (aka traveling for work). I um don't do anything. It doesn't seem gross to me at all. I do shower. My hair looks BEST 1-2 days after washing (unless I work out).
/hillary

:yeahthat: Especially my hair looking good after 1-2 days! I say "Second Day Hair" is my best hair! All summer this has been my routine.

Day 1: wash hair and don't dry. My hair is very wavy so it goes all naturally curly. I got SO many compliments on it, I couldn't believe it!

Day 2: see how it looks, maybe just brush or maybe flat iron. The curl will be gone after sleeping on it.

Day 3: definitely needs a flat iron to make it all even.

Day 4: Evaluate. Wash if greasy. If not, wait one more day. Also depends on what was going on that day and how lazy I was feeling!!

I have to figure out what I'll do in the winter. Wearing a hat makes it greasy/too flat to even spruce up a little. And the whole not-drying in winter thing kinda bugs me.

You can do it OP!!! I used to be in the wash every day camp, and this is so much better. :)

AnnieW625
11-01-2011, 12:03 PM
I wash every other day unless I go for a run and get really sweaty. I don't use any other products on my hair the second day.

daisysmom
11-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I wash mine every 3 or 4 days too, and it looks and feels better. Part of my choice is age (at 42, it needs the natural oils/shine) and part of it is time. Mine is long (past shoulders) and naturally curly/wavy. First day I wash and blow dry with a defuser (and put lots of product in with a leave in conditioner spray, a styling creme and a shine oil mixed so it looks curlier and also has shine). I do work out every day but braid it tightly and while it gets wet from sweat, I don't rewash it. After working out I will towel dry it a bit and maybe blow dry it a bit more. I tend to sleep with it braided to keep it out of my face and put more curl in it, and leave the braids in when showering. So second day I wear it curly too. Third day I either flat iron it a bit if I want to look a little glam, or more often just pull it back into a pony tail. Then wash it that night or next morning. It really is easy and my hairdresser has always convinced me it is so much better for my hair.

ellies mom
11-01-2011, 12:14 PM
I usually wash my hair every other day too. Sometime I can stretch it out and go three days but usually every other is best. I wash, dry (air or blow dry depending on available time) and flat iron it the first day and the second day I just brush it and go.

joules
11-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I just bought a bottle of dry shampoo based on this review: http://www.thelooksforless.com/2011/09/26/tresemme-fresh-start-dry-shampoo-review/

I used it once. It takes some getting used to. You have to spray from far away. Any closer and you get white stuff in your hair. And it leaves your hair smelling nice, but there's also some sort of texture-y stuff....almost like too much hairspray. Looks nice....but doesn't feel nice.

I don't wash my hair everyday. I try to do it every other day.

peanut520
11-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I try to go 3-4 days between washes, but usually 2-3 day because it will depend on my schedule if i can get away with 3-4 hair. i have long fine hair that is thinning a bit so afer day 2 my scalp show more than i like so i usually have to do a pony tail. i use burt's dusting powder as needed and bush it out if i go day 3 or 4 and i have fabulous volume even for a pony tail.

Trigglet
11-01-2011, 12:35 PM
/hillary

:yeahthat: - and OP, especially if you have wavy/curly hair I would strongly suggest trying to avoid sulfates in your shampoo, and if you get a moment take a look at the naturallycurly.com website. Ironically, the more you strip your hair of its natural moisture then it just tries to compensate by making more oils, so you actually end up with greasier hair if you wash it constantly with harsh shampoo. The best advice I heard was to treat your hair the way you would treat a cashmere sweater!

LexyLou
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm with some of the others. My hair is so dry and coarse that it usually looks better on day 2 then it does on day 1. Sometimes by day 3 it needs a little dry shampoo. I use Rene Furter, or it goes in a ponytail.

I really only wash my hair 2-3 times a week...even with working out. It's just such a hassle and my hair rarely looks greasy, so why bother.

Pear
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I typically wash every other day and don't do anything on off days. My hair actually looks and feels better on the second day. If life gets in the way and I end up going an extra day I do feel a little greasy and will sometimes throw in just a touch of baby powder and brush it out. I've been meaning to grab some dry shampoo for these occasions, but it happens so seldom that it is hard to justify buying yet another product.

My hair is much healthier since I stopped washing daily.

brittone2
11-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Ironically, the more you strip your hair of its natural moisture then it just tries to compensate by making more oils, so you actually end up with greasier hair if you wash it constantly with harsh shampoo.
:yeahthat: ITA. There is a transition period for lots of people as they stop stripping all of the natural oils with chemicals every day. Once their hair doesn't have to pump out those extra oils to compensate, it doesn't look greasy anymore.

theriviera
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I wash my hair 2-3 times per week. I think the key is to use a sulfate free shampoo (I'm using purology but have used burt's bees in the past) and a -cone free conditioner. I use very little conditioner so I have been buying cheap stuff from the drugstore. Off the top of my head, most V05 is -cone free. So is Tressame 'natural' and Garnier pure and clean. you can read the ingredient lists - you want to avoid anything that ends in -cone (silicone, dimethicone, etc).

I don't think my hair looks that greasy. if it does, i use a little dry shampoo on day 3 if necessary.

g-mama
11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
I wash mine every two or three days. I just started skipping days about a year ago and I can't believe now that I thought I had to wash/dry/style it every day for my entire adult life. So unnecessary!

I don't need any products to make it look good the second and third day. I do usually curl it with a big curling iron on the first day and I might touch it up with the curling iron on days 2 and 3, but it still holds the curl even if I don't.

DietCokeLover
11-01-2011, 02:08 PM
I wash mine every two or three days. I just started skipping days about a year ago and I can't believe now that I thought I had to wash/dry/style it every day for my entire adult life. So unnecessary!

I don't need any products to make it look good the second and third day. I do usually curl it with a big curling iron on the first day and I might touch it up with the curling iron on days 2 and 3, but it still holds the curl even if I don't.

:yeahthat: This is me exactly.

jgenie
11-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. I don't use anything between washes. The second day is fine. The third day is a bit of a stretch but is fine if I pull it back.

mommyp
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
I wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. I don't use anything between washes. The second day is fine. The third day is a bit of a stretch but is fine if I pull it back.

:yeahthat:

kijip
11-01-2011, 02:47 PM

This is me exactly. I used to go 4 days but it's just too much. 2-3 days is perfect. 2nd day hair is best because "first day hair" SUCKS for me. If I have an event, I make sure I have washed my hair the day before or I have to put product in to make it look like it was washed the day before.

newmomto1
11-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
I am going to give it a shot.
I have some dry shampoo (batiste) that I bought the other day...and I picked up some Burts Bees Dusting Powder today.
I do feel like I will need to use *something* to freshen it up bc my hair looks so flat, blah, and crazy pieces sticking out all over when I wake up in the morning.
Hope I can do it! ;)

brittone2
11-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks for all the replies!
I am going to give it a shot.
I have some dry shampoo (batiste) that I bought the other day...and I picked up some Burts Bees Dusting Powder today.
I do feel like I will need to use *something* to freshen it up bc my hair looks so flat, blah, and crazy pieces sticking out all over when I wake up in the morning.
Hope I can do it! ;)
You may find that isn't the case once your hair "adjusts" a bit to the new routine.

SnuggleBuggles
11-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Until recently my hair always looked better on day 2. Day 1 it was a bit frizzy and day 2 it was smooth, shiny but not greasy looking. So, I never did anything to it on day 2 (no dry shampoo, baby powder...).

Beth

MommyAllison
11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I go 3 days between washing, once in awhile 4 days. My stylist was the one who recommended it - she goes 5-6 days, and said the less you shampoo, the healthier your hair will be. She mentioned cornstarch but said it is best for blondes (I'm not), as it just looks dandruff-y on brunettes. I switched slowly, first to every other day, then to every 3rd day. I do not use dry shampoo or any other product.

larig
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
I go 3 days between washing, once in awhile 4 days. My stylist was the one who recommended it - she goes 5-6 days, and said the less you shampoo, the healthier your hair will be. She mentioned cornstarch but said it is best for blondes (I'm not), as it just looks dandruff-y on brunettes. I switched slowly, first to every other day, then to every 3rd day. I do not use dry shampoo or any other product.

My stylist got me started too, she has hair that is like my texture, but curlier (mine is more kinky/wavy). I can go a week. No kidding. I have really really thick course hair.

I am also convinced that this strategy (plus being serious about preventing sun damage) has kept my skin pretty wrinkle-free for a 42-year old. I just think our bodies just aren't made for all the washing we first world people do.

roseyloxs
11-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Just start slow. Start washing your hair every other day. Then after a couple weeks go every third day and see how it goes. I did that a couple of years ago and now I only have to wash my hair once a week. To be honest I actually tried going without shampoo all together (google shampoo free) but it didn't work out for me. I am convinced my hair was just too thick and long to wash with water alone. I don't mind though since only shampooing once a week has made the experience totally worth it.

Indianamom2
11-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I used to be a wash every single day gal, but I've converted to an every other day schedule and I think it looks fine.

My hair has actually dried out as I've gotten older, plus we have really hard water and I think washing every other day with a sulfate-free shampoo has helped.

I have long (almost mid-back length) straight hair. Lots of it, but fine in texture. I've been toying with the idea of a dry shampoo to see if I can stretch to every three days, but I haven't done it yet.

momof2girls
11-01-2011, 06:46 PM
I do every other day but just started this a few months ago after washing every night my entire adult life. I can't help but think much longer than that would start feeling icky though. Doesn't your hair start to smell after a while like clothing does when it absorbing cooking odors? After I cook with garlic or onions I feel like my hair must stink.

roseyloxs
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Doesn't your hair start to smell after a while like clothing does when it absorbing cooking odors? After I cook with garlic or onions I feel like my hair must stink.

The only smell I can ever detect is smoke. Otherwise you would be surprised. Hair basically smells the same no matter how long you go without washing it.

turtle12
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
ok i def wash everyday, so i have a question --- if you don't wash your hair every day, do you still wet it during your shower? and then let it dry or style, or what not? thanks!

Twoboos
11-01-2011, 07:19 PM
ok i def wash everyday, so i have a question --- if you don't wash your hair every day, do you still wet it during your shower? and then let it dry or style, or what not? thanks!

Nope, I don't. It's up in a ponytail. Wetting it would defeat the whole purpose of not washing! ;)

roseyloxs
11-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I wear a shower cap but you can clean with water if you need a little pick me up between washings.

larig
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
The only smell I can ever detect is smoke. Otherwise you would be surprised. Hair basically smells the same no matter how long you go without washing it.

yeah, I also during the week use this product that is a spray-on oil for some frizz control (yeah, I still need it). It is scented, so my hair usually smells like that.

I use a shower cap...unless I've been walking when it's warm out, then I rinse the hair too.

m448
11-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I've been shampoo free going on almost 5 years now. I'm a curly and had even more curl once I went shampoo free. I wash with a simple conditioner about every other day and in between I just rinse with water. I style my hair with a clear gel and air dry. I gave up straightening even before giving up shampoo.

definitely check out naturally curly's extensive forums. my transition period was about 3 weeks and then ky oil production stabilized. also, lifelong scalp issues resolved after going shampoo free.

army_mom
11-01-2011, 08:27 PM
It took some getting used to, but I only wash my hair every 2-3 days now. I could not get used to the idea of every other day washings, but my stylist assured me it is much healthier for my hair. So I tried it while I was deployed and the second day is definitely the best hair day! My hair is up in a bun all week so I don't have to worry to much about style, but I always make sure wash day is Friday morning so I have good "weekend hair."

Give it a try for a week. Flat iron does wonders the second and third day.

I'm weird though-I DO get my hair all wet even if I don't wash it as I just put it in a bun anyway. I don't feel "clean" unless I get my hair wet. Once again, weird. ;)

DrSally
11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I wash about every 3 days. Every 2 in the summer and could go 3-4 in the winter. It looks best on day 3. I throw it up in a bun and sometimes use a shower cap for the shower. When I wash it, I don't blowdry, just airdry. It takes a whole day for it to actually get dry! It's wavy, so it looks ok airdried. The 2nd day, I use a large barrel curling iron or straight iron. Then, it looks great that day and for the next 1-2.

Liziz
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
I only wash every other day (or sometimes every 3, if I'm lucky), too. My hair has been *so* much healthier since I started this a couple years ago. Sometimes I just pull the 2nd day hair back into a bun or clip, but if I want to wear it down again, I've been using Tresseme's (sp?) dry shampoo. It does leave a bit of residue in your hair (and a ton in the brush I use to brush it out), but I've found that it gives my hair much more volume the second day. I use the dry shampoo, then style.

reneed
11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
I went my hair and condition every day but I have really been trying to only wash it with shampoo a frw times per week since I had a brazilian blowout done (trying to make it last). My hair looks great - but I feel gross when I don't at least soak it...I think it's because I don't have the shower water pummeling my face in the morning. Soooo, can anyone recommend a good shower cap that will stay on so I can still put my head under the water?
TIA

mjmamma
11-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I just bought a bottle of dry shampoo based on this review: http://www.thelooksforless.com/2011/09/26/tresemme-fresh-start-dry-shampoo-review/

I used it once. It takes some getting used to. You have to spray from far away. Any closer and you get white stuff in your hair. And it leaves your hair smelling nice, but there's also some sort of texture-y stuff....almost like too much hairspray. Looks nice....but doesn't feel nice.

I don't wash my hair everyday. I try to do it every other day.

I wash every third day or so too. My hair is usually fine with this routine but this product does help when I don't have the time to shower and have oily roots. I spray and then brush it out when it dries. It just helps balance it when I really do need to get in there and wash it :)

sweetsue98
11-01-2011, 11:32 PM
I was every other toevery 3 days depending on my schedule. My hair doesn't get greasy but if it does I use dry shampoo. Try an over the counter one first before investing in a professional one. I have one by treseme and its okay. I don't use it often. Start on the weekend to get use to not washing. It does take time to get use to. I use a moore fragrent hairspray to reduce the hair smell after day 2. After not washing everyday you will wonder why you ever washed your hair everyday!

ladysoapmaker
11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
I go 2 to 3 days between washing. Like a PP said it'll take about a week for your hair and scalp to get use to it. I have very oily, thin hair and I have found that the oil production is less massive when I do this and my hair is more manageable. The only time I wash it more often if I really worked up a sweat exercising (sometimes just rinsing the hair works) or we have a very special occasion to go to.

Jen

jammytoast
11-02-2011, 08:43 AM
/hillary

Same for me, but I do every other day. I've got poker straight hair cut in a slighlty layered bob -- If I had some curl I think I could get an extra day occasionally.

It will take a week or so for your scalp to stop producing excess oil (removed from alll of that shampooing)

sntm
11-03-2011, 12:55 PM
It will probably work for you, but as a warning to some gals, I have thin, fine, straight, dark, slightly oily hair and it looks horrible at 48 hours after my last shampoo. I can do 36 okay, but no longer. And I tried waiting the few weeks for it to adjust and it never did. Dry shampoos work poorly for me, because they make my roots look gray. I spent more time trying to make it work than I would just washing and conditioning it and then drying it.

newmomto1
11-04-2011, 02:44 PM
OP here....
Well, I have made it washing every other day this week.
So far it hasn't been as bad as I thought :P
I used some baby powder (Burts Bees) on my non-wash days.
Benefits so far:
-Love the extra time on my non-wash days
-Makes wash days feel that much better ;)
I am hoping to see some healthier looking hair soon!!

ladysoapmaker
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
THe other thing I forgot to mention, If I know I'm going to be someplace that is really dusty and I don't want to wash my hair daily, I make sure I put it up and cover it with a hat. I makes such a difference.

Jen

Globetrotter
11-05-2011, 07:30 PM
My hair is dry and coarse, and I wash it about every 4-5 days. The more you wash it, the drier it will get. In fact, no-pooing worked out well for me when I kept it curly! (washing with conditioner - shampoo only when it is very dirty)

After flat-ironing, it looks good the first two days, longer if it's not raining or humid. AFter that it requires a touch-up.

Melaine
11-05-2011, 08:29 PM
/hillary

:yeahthat:

OP, I think you should just experiment with it and you may be fine with going a couple days too.

ETA: Didn't realize you'd already been doing it! Hope you have great results! I honestly cannot imagine washing drying and styling my hair everyday. I'm way too lazy.

catsnkid
11-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I have fine wavy thick hair. I generally wash every couple days. I am low maintanance. I usually use either dandruff shampoo (esp in winter months because it gets itchy) or regular stuff and a good quality conditioner- just a little. On the third day it gets pretty flat. Generally don't notice an odor unless I have been at a smoky bar (rare nowadays) or cooking greasy food (again rare!). If really dirty I wash it twice, and sometimes I do a quick wash again after using t-gel because I can't stand the way it smells..