PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take to get AF back?

Trigglet
11-01-2011, 08:31 PM
So, my DS is 19 months and there's still NO SIGN of my cycle. The only reason I'm concerned is that we'd like to start trying for another DC, but I don't really want to forcibly wean DS. He still BFs several times a day and during the night. Although I do leave him for over four hours, three times a week. I thought that might be enough to kick start my cycle again, but so far nothing. :shrug:

How long did it take you (especially if you were still BF)?

sweet_pea
11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I was breastfeeding exclusively and AF returned when DD was 8 months. She continued to breastfeed for a long time after that.

lhafer
11-02-2011, 08:21 AM
NO reason why you can't start trying for another DC. There are quite a few women who get pregnant while BFing and no period.

I got my AF back at 5 weeks PP while BFing exclusively (and it wasn't PP bleeding due to strenuous activity or anything like that). I was not a happy camper. I BF'd for 9 months.

SnuggleBuggles
11-02-2011, 08:52 AM
9m with both. Both were bf.

Beth

momm
11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
13.5 months and no AF yet. BF multiple times days and nights. In the same boat as you.

The only consistent answer I've heard for this is that it differs from woman to woman. Oh great.

lizzywednesday
11-02-2011, 01:34 PM
AF came back when DD was just about 13 months.

I had stopped pumping at the office when she was 10 months & she still nurses overnight with an occasional daytime session here-and-there at almost 20 months.

It definitely varies from woman-to-woman!

However, and this was alluded to upthread, the BF-as-birth-control only works 100% if your DC is 6 months or younger and exclusively breastfed.

You could still get pregnant regardless of whether or not your AF has come back, especially with an older nursing baby or toddler.

mikala
11-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Have you ever read Taking Charge of your Fertility? You might try the temperature method to see if you're ovulating.

This topic came up with IRL friends a few days ago. All of us EBF our babies and AF came back between 2 (!!) and 13 months in a group of about 8 women.

If you're interested in another I'd start charting your cycles (or lack thereof) and have fun in the process :)

Trigglet
11-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for all your replies and thoughts. I suppose in re-reading my OP it sounds like we're not 'trying' at all :wink2:, but it would be more accurate to say that I'm not attempting to time or chart things. I was thinking about starting to take my temp/chart but wasn't sure if that was going to actually tell me anything in advance of AF coming back. It looks like I need to do some more reading!

Has anyone done much charting when TTC, or doing NFP?

mikala
11-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't say I've done a lot but have done some basic charting following a m/c earlier this year. I was a bit put off by TCOYF initially but was surprised to see many of the trends she mentions play out on my own charts. No "success" yet but it's at least nice to understand my cycle and fertile times.

swissair81
11-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I got my period back at 7, 8, 11, and 8 months for each of my kids (in order). I don't usually TTC, but I have managed to conceive while breastfeeding twice (but not until I had gotten my period at least 2 or 3 times). This is definitely not true for everyone, just the way my own system works. If you are concerned you can talk to your dr or midwife, but to my knowledge they don't worry much if you are still breastfeeding.

MommyAllison
11-04-2011, 07:37 PM
17 months with DD1, 15 months with DS. With DS, AF returned about a week after I was unable to nurse DS for one night (he usually nursed multiple times each night). With DD, she was still night nursing a lot when AF returned. I got pregnant with DS and with DD2 while still nursing the older sibling, so it can definitely be done. Good luck!