PDA

View Full Version : Angelcare Monitor False Alarms

Sunspot
11-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Does this really work and is it worth getting for 5 month old who keeps rolling on his stomach?

scrooks
11-02-2011, 01:10 PM
It works but by 6-7 months we turned the motion sensor part off for dd because she kept rolling into the corner. We probably left it on for almost a year with ds but we were more nervous about his breathing. He had a hospitalization at 4 months(rsv) that really scared us.

elephantmeg
11-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't buy it for a 5 month old, generally once they can roll on their own they are OK to do so. I did get one for DD who (due to reflux I later figured out) only would sleep on her belly (at a month). Once I got her on meds it was a moot point, oh well!

hehateme
11-02-2011, 11:35 PM
I did work for us. We used it for our 4 month old. It gave us peace of mind.
It was well worth the money to know that out DS1 was sleeping peacefully and breathing.

AngB
11-13-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm more paranoid than most since we lost our first DD. We use it still every night at 6 months. We just drove across the country and back and stayed at 3 different hotels in the process and set it up every night in the pack n play (being in a new place made me nervous), super easy and fast and we rarely get a false alarm even though DS is pretty mobile in his sleep. If you get false alarms than usually the sensitivity needs to be adjusted. I would not sleep nearly as well without it. I also really like the temperature feature so I know the temp where DS is sleeping and can adjust as necessary.

mikala
11-14-2011, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't buy it for a 5 month old, generally once they can roll on their own they are OK to do so.

:yeahthat: Our ped said the risk of SIDS from belly sleeping falls dramatically when they are mobile enough to roll to their belly on their own. I'd focus on the other risk factors--no fluffy crib bedding, a fan to keep air circulating, no smoking in the house, etc.

Melaine
11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
:yeahthat: Our ped said the risk of SIDS from belly sleeping falls dramatically when they are mobile enough to roll to their belly on their own. I'd focus on the other risk factors--no fluffy crib bedding, a fan to keep air circulating, no smoking in the house, etc.

So a fan is a good thing? For some reason I thought they were not ok, but I might be getting my stories crossed since it has been 5 years now....

BabyBearsMom
11-14-2011, 10:05 AM

:yeahthat: Once they are rolling on their own, the risk is much less. I am much more concerned about loose bedding because they could roll into it and get stuck. Then again, I never had an angelcare monitor. I just listened to DD's breathing through the regular monitor.

So a fan is a good thing? For some reason I thought they were not ok, but I might be getting my stories crossed since it has been 5 years now....

Yup fans are now good. One of the concerns about SIDs is that CO2 will gather around the baby's nose/mouth and they suffocate. So circulating the air in the room is thought to help prevent this.

Melaine
11-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Cool. We love fans! I'm very tempted to get an AngelCare monitor this time around because I am really paranoid about SIDS.

barkley1
12-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm more paranoid than most since we lost our first DD. We use it still every night at 6 months. We just drove across the country and back and stayed at 3 different hotels in the process and set it up every night in the pack n play (being in a new place made me nervous), super easy and fast and we rarely get a false alarm even though DS is pretty mobile in his sleep. If you get false alarms than usually the sensitivity needs to be adjusted. I would not sleep nearly as well without it. I also really like the temperature feature so I know the temp where DS is sleeping and can adjust as necessary.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but just wondering..how do you usebthe Angelcare in a PNP? I never have tried bc the PNP " mattress doesn't sit on a flat surface, so I figured it wouldn't work...would love to know how!!

wellyes
12-10-2011, 08:21 PM
We used an Angelcare in our P&P by placing a board underneath the mattress, and the monitor underneath the board.

AngB
12-10-2011, 10:22 PM
To put it in the pnp we just take a thick cardboard box flattened (like a case of diapers box), put that at the bottom of the pnp (or with the bassinet- on top of the liner thing), then put the sensor pad in the middle on top of the box, then goes the mattress and sheet and it worked great. We just recently took a trip and stayed in 3 different hotels- set it up each time in about 2 min- no false alarms.

bratt513
12-12-2011, 11:05 PM
A good friend of mine had a baby that died of SIDS. We tried to have a baby for awhile, so I am completely crazy about the breathing monitor. We used the Baby Sense breathing monitor. You can buy it at Buy Buy Baby for $130 (I used a 20% off coupon). Our daughter is now 15 months old and we still use it. I love it. No false alarms. It gives me complete peace of mind. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it.

My SIL had a Angel monitor and then when it broke got the Baby Sense, which is how I heard of it. She had false alarms with the Angel. I know she's over a year, but I worry about SUDS. We're going to keep her on it as long as we can (I think until she's 30 pounds).

PearlsMom
04-30-2012, 01:35 PM
We actually still use our Angelcare for our 22 month old. Once he started rolling, we upgraded to the deluxe version that has two sensors to put under the mattress. We get very, very few false alarms. We have always been scared of SIDS, and after one our friends lost their 6-month-old at Christmas (while visiting grandparents and sleeping in a PnP), we're sticking with the monitor until he's out of a crib. We travel with it, use it with our Baby Bjorn travel crib, and got a spare for grandma's house. It helps us sleep, and that's worth it for us.