PDA

View Full Version : Bad diaper rash (diarrhea) help!

nfowife
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
My younger DD has a horrible diaper rash and I'm starting to feel desperate trying to get it cleared up. She's had diarrhea for over a week now, no other symptoms of an illness though besides mildly fussy but she's also teething hard-multiple teeth coming through.
Here's what I've tried:
-40% desitin
- lanolin
- monistat antifungal
- combo of the above, layered on a dry bottom.

Saw the ped yesterday and she said to try doing maalox on the dry skin with desitin or lanolin/aquaphor on top. 24 hours later it looks worse. She called me in something from the compounding pharmacy today (I have no idea what) but wants me to give the maalox 48 hours.
She did say it probably won't clear 100% until the diarrhea is resolved, which is still going on.
Anything anyone can suggest? I feel so bad for my DD and her red bottom :( .

Kymberley
11-02-2011, 12:15 PM
My younger DD has a horrible diaper rash and I'm starting to feel desperate trying to get it cleared up. She's had diarrhea for over a week now, no other symptoms of an illness though besides mildly fussy but she's also teething hard-multiple teeth coming through.
Here's what I've tried:
-40% desitin
- lanolin
- monistat antifungal
- combo of the above, layered on a dry bottom.

Saw the ped yesterday and she said to try doing maalox on the dry skin with desitin or lanolin/aquaphor on top. 24 hours later it looks worse. She called me in something from the compounding pharmacy today (I have no idea what) but wants me to give the maalox 48 hours.
She did say it probably won't clear 100% until the diarrhea is resolved, which is still going on.
Anything anyone can suggest? I feel so bad for my DD and her red bottom :( .

You're doing everything that has been successful for us as far as what to put on the skin. Have you tried oatmeal baths? That really seamed to help DS. I'm so sorry! I hope it heals up soon. It's so hard seeing them so miserable!

rin
11-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Baking soda or oatmeal baths (tie about a cup of oatmeal up into some cheesecloth, otherwise it's a royal pain to get out of the bath! Ask me how I know. :)) have helped our DD. Also, if it's possible, just giving her some naked butt time to let things air out always seems to help. If the weather's warm enough we do outside & let her run around with just a shirt/sweatshirt & shoes on. I think I've heard the sunshine is good too, although we honestly primarily go outside to avoid potential cleanup issues indoors.

wendibird22
11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
When DD1 had a rash like that we eventually had to use a rx that was part fungicide and part burn ointment and we were instructed to put it on thick.

For the loose stool have you tried a probiotic? Culturelle makes a kid version that comes in powder singles that you can add to any cold liquid (BM, formula, apple sauce, etc).

nfowife
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
We are doing probiotic as well- she is eating and nursing as normal. No fever either. I just talked to the compounding pharmacy and the scrip
Is for cholestrymine ointment and it is $40 :irked:
So I told them I will wait until tomorrow to decide and hold out hope I'll see some improvement with the $5 maalox instead...
I don't think its fungal because the monistat would have helped if it was, and also the ped didn't think it was- she said it's just a standard (bad) diarrhea rash.

llama8
11-02-2011, 04:36 PM
I have tried everything when DD1 had diarrehea and the following cleared up diaper rash...even when the doctor prescriptions did not help:

For each diaper change:

Apply Triple paste liberally
Sprinkle Corn Starch on generously on top of triple paste

The rash that nothing worked on cleared up in 36 hours like it was never there. It has worked on the few occassions we have had a rash (we don't usually get a diaper rash).

hoodlims
11-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Is it food related? Have you zeroed in on what is giving her diarrhea? I have no idea how to help on the butt end!

nfowife
11-02-2011, 05:34 PM
I have no idea why she is having the diarrhea. It could be food related I suppose but thinking about the last 2 weeks I can't think of anything she ate that she hadn't had before... She has a wide palate and eats the same stuff we do. No baby food. Nurses 4x/day plus one bottle of formula and 3 meals. Hopefully the poops are tapering off- she didn't wake up with one just now which is the first time in a while.

trcy
11-02-2011, 05:50 PM
When DD got diarrhea from an antibiotic my aunt (a PNP) advised I use Vaseline or A&D oinment to help prevent diaper rash. She said they help create a better barrier than products like Destin. Not sure if that would help in your sitution. Good luck and :hug: to your DD.

AnnieW625
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Butt Paste is the only thing that worked for my girls, DD1 was allergic to A&D which sp many people were raving about in 06-07. I looked at Triple Paste and it was more expensive than Butt Paste and it had less zinc oxide in it.

nfowife
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm going to try the prescription ointment. Fortunately I found another compounding pharmacy in my area that takes my insurance so it will be $12, not $40. Phew! Hopefully it will help. She did already have one gross dipe this morning upon waking but hopefully we are on the downward slope now with the diarrhea which will, in turn, help the rash heal.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
11-03-2011, 10:54 AM
My DD has very sensitive skin. Shes the kid that gets a rash from everything and has eczema. Theres probably been 3 or 4 times for various reasons that shes gotten really severe diaper rashes that have taken me a couple of weeks to clear up. Her skin would be so raw and red that she'd sceam everytime she wet her diaper and everytime i tried to change her. Its heartbreaking to feel like you cant immediately make it better for them. I have tried every combination of creams and anything else that was suggested to me at the time. What has worked best when it's that bad is to have dr give you a Rx for silvadene cream. Its most typically used for burns which is why it helps that raw, sore skin. Its feels kind of like a cold cream and it has some some antimicrobial properties too. I would put that on first and then put the triple paste in a layer on top of it. Triple paste and dr. Smiths are hands down the two best diaper creams. They are expensive but worth it in these situations. I think it has less to do with the % of zinc and more to do with the consistency of the cream. It's super thick. This keeps it on and seals the sore skin from the wet or dirty diaper. I apply the silvadene and triple paste really liberally. The Rx shouldnt be very expensive because it comes as a generic. Hope this helps, i've BTDT and i know its miserable!

catsnkid
11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
A little late, but we went through this with DS. Balmex seems to be the best treatment for him. I also tried sitting him in very strong tea (warm) in our sink. i think a nurse told me to try it. Something about the tannin in it.

Tinochka
11-05-2011, 11:25 PM
We had terrible rash when my 1st started solids and it was upfront:(. While I was trying several things it got only worse (a skin started pilling). We went to the doctor, the answer was to try different ointments and find the good one... We used Destin, Aquafor, Vasiline... you name.
What helped us is washing him and drying skin by patting (not wiping), letting him lay without any diaper, corn starch, when I put a diaper on... It was getting better, but every time I was living him with the grandma or DH everything was coming back. It was going for almost a month! I was so tired and felt bad for DC, I made sure that I was the ONLY caregiver at this period of time and sure enough air, baby cream with oatmeal and cornstarch did a trick! After that we moved to cloth diapers (FB) and I never used any ointment, didn’t have any rash.
I never had anything like that with #2, but we were in CDs when he started solids...

NJ_Mom2011
11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
I 2nd Tinochka's advice about getting rid of wipes all together. :yeahthat: We washed her butt in the kitchen sink. Hopefully, future owners of our condo will never find that one out. ;)
Also stopping the diarrhea is also key. We had to take her off formula for 2 days, and put her on the BRAT diet, with a heavy emphasis on eating rice and bananas. We finally took her off diaper, and if she wore diapers, she never wear pants. Since we have a condo that is heavily carpeted without a backyard, what I did was put her in the play yard, so it was easy to clean the accidents.

FTMLuc
11-09-2011, 02:15 PM
We are still dealing with this with DD. It started with the new daycare that provides food. They do a lot of canned fruit, and until then DD only had fresh organic fruits and veggies, so her teacher and I think its the acidity and sugars in the canned fruit that are causing the slight diareah and diaper rash. At one point her skin was so raw it was almost bleeding. We tried prescrition cream but it did not do much. Based on the advice here, I bought Triple paste and it really has healed her bum quite nicely. She will come home with the beginning of a rash, I'd wash her bum in the sink and use triple paste. For the night, I also slather a thick layer of aquaphore over the triple paste and then some cornstarch in the diaper and in the morning she is nicely healed.

For running around with naked bum, I bought one of those big vinyl tablecloths from Christmas Tree shop, throw it on the floor in her room over the rug and then lay a sheet over the tablecloth (so she is not directly on the vinyl) and we play together on the floor while her butt airs out. If accidents happen, just throw the sheet in the wash and lay a new one on the tablecloth.