PDA

View Full Version : Why should I spend $100 more on Uppababy Cruz than on Bumbleride Flyer?

dkara1
11-02-2011, 06:40 PM
I've been looking for a stroller that is not enormous but still is comfortable for baby and is full featured and from all the specs and videos it seems the Bumbleride Flyer meets all those requirements. So, I thought I was done with my search but I stumbled upon some old, not very favorable reviews of it. And then I started following all the hoopla about the Uppababy Cruz and it seems like a very good choice too, but not enough to justify the price difference. The Bumbleride Flyer is also 2 lbs lighter, and 1 inch shorter and narrower, and width is one of my top concerns, since I want to be able to fit through doorways. What is a person to do?

Kaylee31
11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
I have yet to hear anyone say they LOVE their Flyer. The old ones had steering issues, but it seems like the new ones still don't have a great push. Personally, I would get the Cruz or a gently used Bee+ (I know someone is selling on strollerswap right now). Or wait until March for the Baby Jogger City Versa.

PeppyParents
11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
I've been looking for a stroller that is not enormous but still is comfortable for baby and is full featured and from all the specs and videos it seems the Bumbleride Flyer meets all those requirements. So, I thought I was done with my search but I stumbled upon some old, not very favorable reviews of it. And then I started following all the hoopla about the Uppababy Cruz and it seems like a very good choice too, but not enough to justify the price difference. The Bumbleride Flyer is also 2 lbs lighter, and 1 inch shorter and narrower, and width is one of my top concerns, since I want to be able to fit through doorways. What is a person to do?

Hi,

If you're able to get hands-on with the Flyer at a store near you, that may be very helpful for your decision.

Older reviews are probably irrelevant to current Flyer model. Steering and handling were much improved for 2009 and newer.

The primary difference that jumps to mind is that the Cruz has a truly reversing seat, so you always push the stroller in the same direction.

The Flyer has a reversing handle, so if you have your baby facing you, you're pushing the stroller in the opposite direction. Because the stroller handlebar is designed to be best positioned when baby faces forward, the stroller doesn't maneuver as well when baby is facing you. It's not horrible, but it's definitely not as good as when baby faces forward.

Another difference is that the Flyer is suitable for newborn with a near flat recline and legrest that can go horizontal.

Compare that to Cruz, which requires either the additional purchase of the SnugSeat insert or optional infant seat adapter, if you need to use with a very young infant.

Flyer has a pivoting adjustable handlebar, and Cruz has a telescoping handlebar. Tall parents will be more comfortable with the way the Cruz handlebar adjusts.

Both are great companies for taking care of customers if anything goes wrong.

Hope all that's helpful!

Budster
11-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I have yet to hear anyone say they LOVE their Flyer. The old ones had steering issues, but it seems like the new ones still don't have a great push. Personally, I would get the Cruz or a gently used Bee+ (I know someone is selling on strollerswap right now). Or wait until March for the Baby Jogger City Versa.

We love our Flyer. However funny you mention it, we'll probably get the new Baby Jogger reversible when it comes out, cause the Flyer is just huge when folded.

But even the Baby Jogger and Cruz/Vista can't reverse the handle, you have to lift the baby out - not cool with our 98 percentile son. :) i love how we can walk him, and when we turn around and the sun is in his eyes, we just reverse the handle.

dkara1
11-05-2011, 10:29 PM
We love our Flyer. However funny you mention it, we'll probably get the new Baby Jogger reversible when it comes out, cause the Flyer is just huge when folded.

But even the Baby Jogger and Cruz/Vista can't reverse the handle, you have to lift the baby out - not cool with our 98 percentile son. :) i love how we can walk him, and when we turn around and the sun is in his eyes, we just reverse the handle.
I don't think I really mind it being a big fold really, I just wonder if it is easy to fold/unfold, and if the quality of the stroller is good.

Budster
11-06-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't think I really mind it being a big fold really, I just wonder if it is easy to fold/unfold, and if the quality of the stroller is good.

The quality is outstanding, everything seems very well built.

The fold is not very easy, my wife struggles with it. It's easy for me but I'm 6'3".

fozzie
11-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Oooh this is a good comparison, as I'm interested in both strollers! I like how easily reversible the Flyer is, and that it's lighter and narrower than the Cruzbut I worry that the basket is small and/or inaccessible. The Cruz basket looks huuuuuge. Ugh, so hard to decide. Seeing a comparison of both models folded would really help me!

roseyloxs
11-07-2011, 06:34 AM
The flyer basket is a decent size and easy to access. I am sure the cruz basket is significantly larger. A Baby Gizmo review should give you a good impression of the flyer basket.

fozzie
11-07-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks—I'm really undecided about the Flyer because it fits pretty much all my criteria except that my #1 criterion is easy steering (especially one handed) and the reports, even on the newer models, mostly say that the steering is OK but not great. So hard to decide. I guess I'll wait and see what people say about the Cruz before deciding.