PDA

View Full Version : Bike/safety helmets

twowhat?
11-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Does this qualify as Kid Wear? I wasn't sure where to put it so mods feel free to move...

We need to get the girls bike/safety helmets. They're 3 years old and their heads are about average in circumference (45th %tile). I like the kind that isn't just for bikes but can be used for any street/sidewalk activity (scooters, etc). I was looking at the Nutcase helmets (recommended by someone here when I did a search).

Any other recs for this age group?

eta: also, do you think wrist/knee guards are necessary for trikes, balance bikes, scooters? The only reason I'm thinking of them is because there is MAJOR DRAMA even for very minor knee scrapes in our house. MAJOR DRAMA. Lasting DAYS. Hahaha.

newg
11-03-2011, 03:20 PM
DD1 is 3.5 and we got her a helmet from Bell. I just made sure it was one that fit her head really well. It has reflectors on the back and a no-pinch clasps under her chin.
She uses the same helmet for biking and her scooter. We don't do wrist/knee guards.....but we also get major drama with boo-boos......
I've just stocked up on fun band-aids and she's getting better with each scrape/cut.

LMPC
11-03-2011, 08:14 PM
We have a couple of Giro helmets that I got from Amazon. I like the coverage on her head. FWIW, we also have major drama even at the thought of falling :tongue5: DD wants a pedal bike soooo badly but says they are too wobbly :rotflmao:

ETA we don't do any other pads besides helmets. I think once she starts with a scooter or skates I will get her some but not for bikes.

doberbrat
11-03-2011, 09:20 PM
we have Giro, bell and specialized. They're all fine as long as you make sure they fit properly and are worn properly. Not perched on the back of the head like a baseball cap, not tilted sideways etc. We also let dd pick what she wanted b/c if she deems it 'pretty', its much less of a fight when she's the only one wearing a helmet on the block.

We do knee/elbow pads for scooters and rollerblades. For her, falling and getting dirty is almost as traumatic as getting actually hurt so we dont bother for bikes/trikes.

But, for us, our helmet rule is iron-clad. No sitting on a bike w/o a helmet. Not in the driveway, not to try for size etc.

MoJo
11-04-2011, 04:19 AM
I've been wondering too. How do you tell what size you need? The ones I've seen in the stores have cardboard across the opening, so you can't try them on. In our case, JellyBean is probably 90th percentile for headsize or bigger; she's officially been diagnosed with some term that means "familial big-headedness. . . " so I don't expect anything marketed for a 3-year-old is going to fit properly.

newg
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
I've been wondering too. How do you tell what size you need? The ones I've seen in the stores have cardboard across the opening, so you can't try them on. In our case, JellyBean is probably 90th percentile for headsize or bigger; she's officially been diagnosed with some term that means "familial big-headedness. . . " so I don't expect anything marketed for a 3-year-old is going to fit properly.

DD1 is 3.5 and she is wearing a helmet for 5yr. olds. The 3yr. helmet was too small. I just took the helmets out of the boxes and tried them on her. The Bell one I got her has this nice "hat" type fit in the back, so it makes it really hard for it to ride to far back.
And I totally agree about the iron-clad rule pp mentioned. We have the same one........if it has wheels you wear a helmet......and she is the only one around us who does.
She has a scooter, but it's a tri-wheel and she doesn't go very fast, so we don't worry about knee pads/elbow pads.....but will def. be doing that when we get her roller skates.

eta: we also have the rule that if a neighbor kid wants to use one of our bikes/cars/scooters they have to wear a helmet............the crazy 4yr. old behind us will go get her helmet (sitting on her head like a baseball cap, held together with duct tape) and wear it to ride DD's princess bike, and then proceed to take it off to ride her scooter "'cause her mommy said she doesn't have to"...........:shake: