PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have these magnet builders like magnatiles?

ray7694
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Trying to decide between a second 100 piece set of magnatiles or a differnt building set like these:
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca%7CproductSubCat~~p%7C2534374302106599~~f%7C/Assortments/Lakeshore/ShopByCategory/blockplaymanipulatives/buildingsets.jsp

vonfirmath
11-04-2011, 09:41 AM
Those are actually called Magformers (I don't know why some stores try to block out the actual brand name of stuff.)

I am curious as well. I've played with both at Learning Express Stores. The Magformers have much stronger magnets -- so can be harder to get apart. But are cheaper on a per-piece basis. I had Magnatiles on my son's list but just found out his Aunt bought him two Magformers sets from QFC last summer. So I'm trying to decide whether to stick with Magformers or get the Magnatiles anyway.

I found this review: http://ehaugsjaa.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/icosidodecahedron-using-magformers/

but am looking for more.

chozen
11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
we have both magnatiles and the magformers and imo the magformers are better, the magnets are stronger and they seem to hold together better. we only have a small set of each but when we get more i think we will go with the magformers.

kristac
11-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Those are actually called Magformers (I don't know why some stores try to block out the actual brand name of stuff.)

I am curious as well. I've played with both at Learning Express Stores. The Magformers have much stronger magnets -- so can be harder to get apart. But are cheaper on a per-piece basis. I had Magnatiles on my son's list but just found out his Aunt bought him two Magformers sets from QFC last summer. So I'm trying to decide whether to stick with Magformers or get the Magnatiles anyway.

I found this review: http://ehaugsjaa.wordpress.com/2011/04/05/icosidodecahedron-using-magformers/

but am looking for more.

I don't think I would do both. I think the kids would pick a favorite and the other set wouldn't get enough play.

We only have magnatiles. My kids utilize thier "solidness" alot so I think that they would choose them over the magforms.

swissair81
11-04-2011, 01:24 PM
We have 200 pieces. I decided to get them for my girls for one occasion or another, and I bought one for each. The second the boxes were open we threw both sets together. It's much nicer with more.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2011, 01:38 PM
My kids adore the regular Magnatiles and built huge things with them, like garages and hospitals and and airplane hangars and dollhouses, and all kinds of things to rest their manipulative toys in. We only have a single set of the magformers, but they don't get nearly the play as the tiles.

hellokitty
11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
I don't have experience with these, but magformers are also sold on qvc.com.

Canna
11-04-2011, 03:08 PM
My kids adore the regular Magnatiles and built huge things with them, like garages and hospitals and and airplane hangars and dollhouses, and all kinds of things to rest their manipulative toys in. We only have a single set of the magformers, but they don't get nearly the play as the tiles.

Agreed - my DDs are constantly building parking garages, barns, and houses for various animals and little people etc. with their Magnatiles. We don't have Magformers but they don't seem like they would lend themselves well to this type of play.

chozen
11-04-2011, 03:29 PM

we have both kinds and the magnatiles don't seem to stay together enough to build any thing very large, are we doing something wrong? do you know of a web-site that shows pictures of things you can build with the magnatiles, that might help us.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
we have both kinds and the magnatiles don't seem to stay together enough to build any thing very large, are we doing something wrong? do you know of a web-site that shows pictures of things you can build with the magnatiles, that might help us.

Use the shapes as a base, then make sure each side is connected to something else or has a top. Try getting ideas here http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=magnatiles

Simon
11-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Ds1's BFF has the magformers and I am the one who pulls them out and plays with them each time we visit. That tends to get the kids interested too and then I have to share (boo!).

I don't have a lot of experience with magnatiles but have played with them once or twice and I don't find them nearly as appealing as the magformers.

We don't own either yet but I am strongly considering getting some magformers for us.

baileygirl
11-05-2011, 06:39 PM
We have 2 sets of magnatiles and about 100 magformers (triangles, squares, wheels) and without a doubt the magnatiles get played with more (they were introduced first though). They have started adding the magformers to the magnatiles as decorations (i.e. windows) when they build.