PDA

View Full Version : Gloves or Mittens for 2 1/2 year old?

kara97210
11-04-2011, 06:52 AM
It's starting to get cold here and our daycare has asked for us to send gloves or mittens there for outdoor play time. Which would you recommend for this age? Also, if you have a brand that you like, let me know. Thanks!

TwinFoxes
11-04-2011, 06:55 AM
I would say mittens. Getting 10 tiny uncooperative fingers into gloves is a pain. Or in my case, 20. I can't imagine a whole class of gloves.

Canna
11-04-2011, 07:21 AM
My DD is has great fine motor skills and is a year older (3.5, getting close to 4) and though she likes to wear gloves, it is really tough to get all her fingers in the right spots. She seems relieved when we go for mittens and that's definitely what I send to school.

lhafer
11-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Mittens absolutely!! I've found it very hard to actually find gloves small enough for tiny hands like that. Get some good mittens with grips on the palm for when he's playing outside.

hillview
11-04-2011, 08:24 AM
I tried gloves with DS1 every year. He is 6 and this is the first year it is working out.

shawnandangel
11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
DD gets frustrated with mittens and prefers gloves. I do as well. We did mittens when she was a few months old and a year old but last year and this year are doing gloves.

daisymommy
11-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I refuse to deal with all the fingers on a glove, with a child under the age of 4-5. It's just to frustrating and difficult for parent and child, and takes forrrreeevvver to get on!
We usually get the Old Navy fleece mittens.

lizzywednesday
11-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Hand's down, I say mittens. They're also warmer than gloves, IMO.

We have 2-pair of knit ones from OshKosh for DD (1.5 y/o), 2-pair of knit ones from Target (Circo) that came as part of a hat-and-mittens set, 1 pair (on a string) from Hanna and 2 pair from Columbia outlet that no longer fit.

I think getting inexpensive knit ones would be fine until it snows, then I'd look into waterproof ones.

wellyes
11-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Gloves get torn off immediately, I think because at that age they have to be pretty skintight to fit. A big fat pair of mittens (with a tighter wrist cuff) is somehow more acceptable. I think because they can still wiggle their fingers like normal, just that the fingers are inside a cocoon.

Dream
11-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I was able to find wool gloves for DD couple of years back, which was great. I haven't been able to find them since. She's 3 now and still can't get her fingers into insulated gloves but I think she'll be fine getting her fingers into wool gloves. I don't like mittens for her since she can't hold things if she's wearing mittens.

cono0507
11-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Definitely mittens for a 2.5 yo. And also for my 4yo, 6yo and this 35yo! :) Hate having cold hands and mittens keep them warmest! :)

lil_acorn
11-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Mittens..my kids didnt' do gloves until they were 4.5

ABO Mama
11-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Mittens for sure!

maestramommy
11-04-2011, 02:01 PM
My 6yo still wears mittens. I find them much easier to get on in the early years than gloves. My favorite ones are a pair I got for Arwyn from the LLBean outlet last year. They are Thinsulate, 100 gram. Very easy to get on and off, and with some length beyond the wrist so snow can't get in.

MontrealMum
11-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Mittens are much warmer. Also, most daycares are big on teaching kids how to do things on their own and your DC will have a much harder time learning to put on gloves than mittens. We like the REI type that have velcro across the top for easy on/off. They're also waterproof which is key.

BayGirl2
11-04-2011, 02:49 PM
My 2.5yo can't even get his thumb in the thumb hole of a mitten. No way I'd try gloves yet.

Any tips for teaching the thumb in the hole thing?

MontrealMum
11-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Any tips for teaching the thumb in the hole thing?

We used to tell DS that he needed to make "crabby hands". So that he'd keep his fingers stiffly together and his thumb separate. Then you ask him to pinch you (gently!) after the mitts are on just to be certain the thumb is in the right place.

MamaInMarch
11-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Not many of us in the gloves camp, but add me! My DS is 2.5 and there is no way he would tolerate the lack of dexterity mittens cause. Last winter he was just a little guy but oh how his mittens pi**ed him off! He couldn't do what he wanted with his hands so he spent most of the time outside trying to rip off the mittens.

I had a hard time finding gloves in a size that actually fit him but finally found a nice small pair at JC Penney. They were part of a set that had gloves, a toboggan and a scarf.

Nooknookmom
11-07-2011, 03:24 AM
It's still hard for our 4yo to stuff her little fingers into gloves. She gets it but not b4 frustration sets in. I found her HA mittens on sale when she was 2 for like $8! Then I thought she was ready at 3 and got some H & M gloves for $4 and it took a year for her to get them on w/out going kookoo!

mommytoC
11-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Definitely mittens for a 2.5 yo. And also for my 4yo, 6yo and this 35yo! :) Hate having cold hands and mittens keep them warmest! :)

:yeahthat: Mittens for all! (I have gloves for warmer days, but love my mittens when it's really cold.)