PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Oven - Any Way to Do It Green?

lizzywednesday
11-04-2011, 12:22 PM
OK, most of my cleaning methods, aside from my quest for old-fashioned Lysol concentrate in the dark brown bottle, involve Method spray cleansers, Murphy's Oil Soap, vinegar & baking soda these days because my formerly beloved Scrubbing Bubbles (and so on) now give me asthma attacks and other breathing issues.

So ... with the holidays coming and the urge to do a lot of cookie baking upon me, I want to clean my oven.

The last time I did, I used the spray oven cleaner in a can and it's super-effective ... but that stuff is so noxious that I'm wary of using it with DD in the house. Even the fume-free stuff makes me woozy, so it can't possibly be good for you!

Is there an effective, green (or not-as-toxic) solution to cleaning a non-self-clean oven? Or should I just suck it up and deal with the oven cleaner?

TIA!

krocodile
11-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Norwex makes an oven cleaner that I've heard great things about...

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Clean the oven? Not a chore I ever do. :)

Beth

edurnemk
11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
I make a paste with baking soda and water, rub it on all over, let it sit for a while (not sure how long, I haven't done it in ages), and then scrub adding some more baking soda if needed. Everything always comes off very easily. IMO it works just as well as any oven cleaner.

kaharris83
11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I make a paste with baking soda and water, rub it on all over, let it sit for a while (not sure how long, I haven't done it in ages), and then scrub adding some more baking soda if needed. Everything always comes off very easily. IMO it works just as well as any oven cleaner.

:yeahthat: I let it sit overnight if it's particularly dirty.

lizzywednesday
11-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the baking soda and water tip! Make a paste & let it sit. Got it.

Looks like I know what I'll be buying lots of when I go get more vinegar, 'cause our oven is pretty darn nasty.

urquie
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Clean the oven? Not a chore I ever do. :)

Beth

:yeahthat: I've never done it... I just line the bottom of the oven with the extra large aluminum foil.

lizzywednesday
11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
:yeahthat: I've never done it... I just line the bottom of the oven with the extra large aluminum foil.

We have a gas oven. Lining the bottom with foil scares me because there's fire underneath.

daisymommy
11-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I have a citrus based BBQ grill and Oven cleaner that we got at Home depot? Lowes? It's in a black spray bottle. It's EPA and a bunch of other "green" non-toxic places certified. Works great! Wish I could remember the name. It's burried in the garage somewhere (bag over head).

lizzywednesday
11-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I have a citrus based BBQ grill and Oven cleaner that we got at Home depot? Lowes? It's in a black spray bottle. It's EPA and a bunch of other "green" non-toxic places certified. Works great! Wish I could remember the name. It's burried in the garage somewhere (bag over head).

Thanks! If the baking soda doesn't work, I'll look for something like that, then.