PDA

View Full Version : Favorite warm but thin winter jacket for the car?

TwoBees
11-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Any ideas for warm winter jackets that are thin enough to be worn while sitting in a car seat? They need to come in small sizes, too (12 months). I know fleece is warm, but does it block the wind well? Is there a jacket that would work well for the car and also for recess at daycare? (I would like to dress DD in ONE jacket in the morning, have it appropriate for the car, and also for recess. I know I can take off the jacket before she gets in the car but DH is less likely to do so.)

newg
11-04-2011, 02:43 PM
LE fleece is pretty nice. DD2 is now wearing DD1's old down coat. It's a thinner one from LE, but it still keeps her warm and the down compacts nicely under the carseat straps.

citymama
11-04-2011, 02:50 PM
OP, I don't remember where you live, but we've used the Hanna best baby fleece jackets in the car without a problem. We layer a bunch. DD1 wore one as her winter jacket when we lived in DC, in all but the coldest weather, with layers underneath.

swissair81
11-04-2011, 03:47 PM
I bought my kids The North Face Oso jackets on eBay. They are pricey, but I wanted my little ones to be warm. My baby is wearing a 6-12, so there are definitely smaller sizes available.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-04-2011, 03:55 PM
we love the Hanna Best Ever Baby jackets too and they are only jackets we use in their carseats. they are fleece and i love the pointed hat on top..it's pretty much the only things my kids will tolerate..they refuse to wear hats.

DD wears size 70 , which is the equivalent of 12 month size.

if it's really cold, i'll just layer underneath (e.g. long sleeve thermal tee). the kiddos seem warm enough with that

twowhat?
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
If your winters are on the milder size, LE fleece hoodies are awesome. I don't see them on the website now but I believe they were the thermacheck 100 full-zip fleece hoodies. They are lightweight, easy to buckle in/out of car seats, great quality, and my girls LOVE them and I love that the sleeves and length run a bit long for good coverage. They even have pockets and the girls really love that and keep their hands in the pockets when it's windy. They're perfect for going from parking lot to school and back. I think they were recommended on here before which is why I bought them. I hope they're back in stock soon. So glad I stocked up last year for this year:)

lchang25000
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
We love the Patagonia baby synchilla cardigan jackets and the HA best ever baby fleece jacket!

kevinsmama
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
We love, love, love the Patagonia Reversible Puff-Ball Jacket. It's warm but not bulky at all and wind- and water-proof. We also like Hanna's Best Ever Baby Jackets, too.

Kindra178
11-04-2011, 09:26 PM
We love, love, love the Patagonia Reversible Puff-Ball Jacket. It's warm but not bulky at all and wind- and water-proof. We also like Hanna's Best Ever Baby Jackets, too.

This is a great jacket, especially if you live a really cold climate.

TwoBees
11-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Found something! http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=53769&vid=1&pid=848585&scid=848585032

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I really like the Patagonia jackets and will have to keep them in mind for the future. We already have an LL Bean ski jacket for DD, but it is too bulky for the car (part of the reason is because she is so skinny that she just doesn't fill it out).

So this Gap hoodie should work for most of the winter for the car, when she is going from the car to daycare and back to the car. Plus we can out her windbreaker over it on really windy days. We will use the ski jacket for recess and other outdoor activities.