PDA

View Full Version : Too many strollers! Which ones to weed?

hapimommy
11-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Please help me! I am a stroller junkie and our garage is packed so I need help with clearing out my stroller collection. I mean junkie because I have so many strollers I don't even know which one to use so I just end up carrying my baby everywhere while these things just take up space in the garage. I have a 2.5 year old DS and a 7 month old DD. Below are the strollers and how often I use each one and why I have kept it for so long (or at least my crazy OCD reasons) Please keep in mind that I really would like to have more kids, how many more I am not sure, so another reason for my insanity:

1. Uppababy Vista- I use this at least twice a week to stroll around with the Rumbleseat. Unfortunately, my son has reached the 35 lb. limit on it, and I stick him in there, because my daughter cannot really sit by herself yet and falls forward in the upright position. I loved this stroller as a single, but am finding it hard to manuver with the larger kid in the front. And I find it takes up quite a bit of room in the car. But I probably use this stroller the most. I have the 2008 Myles version.

2. Maclaren Triumph- I use this stroller at least twice a week if my son is in preschool, I tote it around for my daughter. It is light and I can just toss it into the car with all my other things, but will not go shopping with it as it is tippy and cannot hold anything in the basket. It is 2009 orange and gray.

3. Maclaren Volo- I have never used this stroller. It sits in a box waiting for my daughter to sit upright on her own. I have kept it because I figure when I am out with my husband, we can each push our own strollers. But I am so tempted to sell this one, because there is no recline feature and my son needs it, so I am willing to wager my daughter will too. (I really like the color) In 2010 coffee stripe.

4. Cybex Topaz- I used this stroller for my daughter when she was born, it was light enough and folded small enough to bring along as a travel system. It is actually a nice stroller and we travel with it, but it hides in the back of our garage now unless we go on a trip or vacation. In 2009 Slate

5. Joovy ATS- This is a fixed wheel all terrain stroller that I used between the time that DS was 9 months to when I got pregnant again. I used it maybe once a week for light walking, so I didn't really use it for the exercise that I wanted to use with it. So basically it has sat in the garage for 17 months now looking beautiful and brand new. I just feel like the second I sell it, I will want to start running with one of the kids. I feel crazy for keeping it, but for some reason I just don't want to let it go. In 2009 red

6. Mountain Buggy Duo- I bought this stroller for the two kids because I needed to have a recline feature for DS since he kept falling asleep in the stroller and slumping forward in the Vista. But he hates this stroller. If I ask him which stroller to take he would never choose this one. I spent a boatload of money on this thing and he refuses to ride in it. The investment on this thing is killing me. (I thought I got a deal for $510) Since I bought it soon after DD was born, I also bought the carseat adapter and the storage bag. It is also a beast to put in and bring out of the car, and seems to take up lots of room in the trunk, in the garage, on the trail, everywhere I go. I even bought the bassinet so that I could have a option of seeing my baby when I walked with her. I am just keeping this stroller because I feel like I will have a huge financial hit, and keep thinking, what if I can use if for the next kids? But honestly it is just too big for me, and I can't handle it. It got such good reviews and I thought I would have loved it, but it is probably the least loved stroller of the bunch. In 2010 Chili

7. Jane Powertwin- I just purchased this thing off craigslist a week ago because of the epic fail I had with the Duo. The reasoning so far is that it was available, can fit two kids, has air tires, the back seat can fully recline, and the front seat can recline enough so that DS is comfortable, the fold is almost as small as my uppababy, and I don't have to do anything special for the fold. I have spent some time washing the stroller so we haven't actually used it yet. I am hoping to do a test run tonight with it. I'll update once I get an idea of how it handles. In 2006 Azulon.

I would love the feedback from other moms and other stroller junkies. If I could make room in the garage I probably would keep all of them, but how does one keep all these strollers in a 2 car garage and still park 2 cars in there? My husband is tired of parking outside. TIA!

By the way, we live in Northern California in the Bay Area, and the weather is rarely if ever extreme. So no snow or freeze factor in the decisions.

emily
11-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I'll let the other stroller experts here chime in on your dilemma but if you dont love the Duo, I dont think you would take much of a hit on resale. Duos around here go for about 450 on CL, when they come up at all.

arivecchi
11-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I'll start by saying that 2.5 yos can be quite fickle about stroller use IMO. They are beginning to realize they can be more independent and walk. Both of my kids went through that and they now both love to ride.

However, like PP said, if you don't love the Duo, sell it. I sold mine after more than a year of use for $475 with the rain cover. I would sell the other accessories separately on CL or ofer them on strollerista or swap.

I think you only need one lightweight, so I would sell two of the three lightweights.

Sounds like the Vista is not working as well anymore either, so I would sell that as well.

I don't know anything about the Joovy or the Jane so I cannot chime in about those.

crl
11-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Well, I'd sell the vista, the triumph, the joovy, and either the duo or the jane. You can use the Topaz and the volo if you need two singles. If you start exercising with one kid you can pick up a used Bob. I'd test out the Jane and keep either it or the duo, whichever one you like best.

Catherine

lele
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Would getting the piggyback for the vista instead of the rumble seat make more sense for you now? That way you can keep it, since you said you use it the most. I know I love mine.

rin
11-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Well, I'd sell the vista, the triumph, the joovy, and either the duo or the jane. You can use the Topaz and the volo if you need two singles. If you start exercising with one kid you can pick up a used Bob. I'd test out the Jane and keep either it or the duo, whichever one you like best.

Catherine

:yeahthat:except I'd sell the Volo, keep the Triumph. You'll get more for a new-in-box Volo than for a used Triumph, plus I think the Triumph is a much nicer about-town stroller than the Volo due to the recline, the bigger wheels, and the seat quality. That would leave you with the Jane (or the Duo), the Topaz, and the Triumph, which seems great for two kids. (For comparison, I have three strollers for one kid, although one is a Volo that no longer locks shut so I only use it for airports.)

mom3boys
11-05-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd get rid of the Volo, the Topaz and either the Duo or the Jane. And switch out the joovy for a used Bob (later if not now). I think the pp's suggestion of getting a piggyback board for your Vista is a good one. So then you have your full-featured single with board (Vista) your true double (duo or Jane) your umbrella that can also be for travel (triumph) and a jogger/all-terrain.

Although I really shouldn't be counseling anyone on getting rid of strollers since I seem to keep acquiring them . . .

Kaylee31
11-05-2011, 12:41 AM
I feel you on the stroller junkie thing. I just bought stroller #7 and my 2nd rider isn't even here yet. :bag I really need to sell one or two.
I would keep the Triumph, Topaz, and the Jane if you end up liking it. Have you considered replacing the Vista with a BJCMD? It sounds like a car friendly side-by-side double would be better for you, since both your DCs still need the recline.

hapimommy
11-12-2011, 03:30 AM
I tested out the Jane for two days and really like it! It does have it's moments of instability, but it pushes so well, even with two kids, and since both seats recline, both kids fell asleep in it! I took my Duo out to compare since DS kept asking for the red stroller, but in the end he started asking for the Jane again. The crazier part was that DS wanted to walk for a portion of excursion and pushing DD in one seat was so quick and easy, even better than the Vista's push! So I guess if each of the strollers above was for sale, what would be a fair price to ask for it? I'm definitely keeping the Jane for now!