PDA

View Full Version : Which brown boots? Cole Haan Whitley vs Frye Veronica

etwahl
11-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Was at Nordstrom today and finally got to try on the Veronica Slouch. They didn't have the brown in store to try but I really liked them! I also tried the Cole Haan Whitley Air, which are also nice.

Which ones are better, do you think?

Cole Haan - one thing that bothers me about this boot is the back part of it is a stretchy type of fabric (where it looks like suede). I read a few reviews where people commented on that part looking cheap. They are 25% off at Endless.com today only.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/cole-haan-air-whitley-buckle-strap-boot/3178211?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=190

Frye Veronica - could get them on sale at shoes.com right now if they had my size :( I need 7.5! My instinct is to go with this boot, but I notice online there are quite a few different brown versions. Is there a particular one that's nicer than others? I see Dark Brown, Chocolate, Dark Brown Extended.
http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/EC1087430-5061513/Frye/Dark+Brown+Leather/Women%27s+Veronica+Slouch.aspx

theriviera
11-04-2011, 06:11 PM
I have the Cole Haan boots and black and I LOVE them. I wanted to get the Frye Melissa Button boots but they were too wide on me.

I don't think the suede part looks cheap at all in person.

etwahl
11-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I have the Cole Haan boots and black and I LOVE them. I wanted to get the Frye Melissa Button boots but they were too wide on me.

I don't think the suede part looks cheap at all in person.

I didn't think they looked cheap when I tried them either, but it's hard to see yourself when you're trying on :)

Are you able to wear them with just tights or thin leggings and have them look right? Another reviewer mentioned them sagging down.

speo
11-04-2011, 06:30 PM
I debated between both of these boots because they fit my large calves. I picked the veronica slouch. I picked them mostly because they were all leather. I wanted something I would be sure I could have for a long time and I just didn't like the cole haans because of the suede. I think the suede is better on those boots than most boots with gussets. I also liked the younger, tougher look of the Fryes. I bought black, so I don't know about the browns. Good luck!

etwahl
11-04-2011, 06:35 PM
I debated between both of these boots because they fit my large calves. I picked the veronica slouch. I picked them mostly because they were all leather. I wanted something I would be sure I could have for a long time and I just didn't like the cole haans because of the suede. I think the suede is better on those boots than most boots with gussets. I also liked the younger, tougher look of the Fryes. I bought black, so I don't know about the browns. Good luck!

Thanks for your viewpoint. My heart tells me I should go with the Fryes, but I really liked the Cole Haans also. I do worry about them lasting as long as the Fryes because of the fabric portion - that's probably my biggest reason for hesitation. Now if only I could find a good sale on an in-stock pair for me. I really liked the blacks I tried on, but I have black boots already!

etwahl
11-04-2011, 09:02 PM
What to do, what to do. Endless.com has 20% off the Cole Haans for today only, but I just saw that buying direct from Frye - they offer 20% off for military, plus free shipping (I pay for return shipping if they don't work).

What should I do?

eno0609
11-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Go with the Frye's... that's a good deal and they're much cooler IMO. I debated about the Veronica but ended up going with the Paige and I still love them (3 years later) right now I'm coveting the Sabrina in grey...

etwahl
11-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Go with the Frye's... that's a good deal and they're much cooler IMO. I debated about the Veronica but ended up going with the Paige and I still love them (3 years later) right now I'm coveting the Sabrina in grey...

I think you are right. I keep focusing on that fabric on the Cole Haans. The Veronica boots are classic.

Green_Tea
11-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I am biased because I already own them, but I vote for the Frye Veronicas :).

etwahl
11-04-2011, 10:30 PM
I am biased because I already own them, but I vote for the Frye Veronicas :).

Do you have the regular dark brown? I called to find out what extended means - it's the wide calf version, which I definitely don't need.

speo
11-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Did you see the color at Nordstroms? Maybe just pick that color?

etwahl
11-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Did you see the color at Nordstroms? Maybe just pick that color?

They only had black at Nordstroms, unfortunately :( I think I'll be safe ordering the dark brown. I think it's just that every web site shows the dark brown differently, which is why it's so confusing. Plus they seem to have a lot of variations - one with a suede portion, one that is "worn", etc.

Green_Tea
11-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Do you have the regular dark brown? I called to find out what extended means - it's the wide calf version, which I definitely don't need.

I have these ones:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/frye-veronica-slouch-boot/3033597?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

I :heartbeat: them!

ETA: I would say the pic on the Nordstrom website is true to what they look like in person.

etwahl
11-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I have these ones:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/frye-veronica-slouch-boot/3033597?origin=keywordsearch&resultback=0

I :heartbeat: them!

ETA: I would say the pic on the Nordstrom website is true to what they look like in person.

Those are the ones I love. But none of the ones on the Frye site look just like those, do they? Maybe you'll have better luck locating them here:
http://www.thefryecompany.com/search?q=veronica+slouch&searchButton=+

Green_Tea
11-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Those are the ones I love. But none of the ones on the Frye site look just like those, do they? Maybe you'll have better luck locating them here:
http://www.thefryecompany.com/search?q=veronica+slouch&searchButton=+

How strange. I agree, none of them look like that. Maybe call Frye and ask them?

citymama
11-04-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm guessing you can't go wrong with either! But the Frye's look particularly fab to me.

etwahl
11-08-2011, 06:36 PM
I just phone ordered the Dark Brown Veronica Slouch direct from Frye. They should arrive by the weekend - I'll update once I receive them.

Of course now I will want to figure out more cute things to go with them!

speo
11-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Of course now I will want to figure out more cute things to go with them!

Enjoy the boots! I love mine. And yes, I feel I need to add to my wardrobe just because of the boots.

etwahl
11-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Enjoy the boots! I love mine. And yes, I feel I need to add to my wardrobe just because of the boots.

Any fun ideas? What are you wearing yours with now?

speo
11-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Any fun ideas? What are you wearing yours with now?

Sorry, I missed this. I got this http://www.bodenusa.com/en-US/Clearance/Womens-Tunics-Kaftans/WL598-BLU/Womens-Blue-Summer-Berry-Printed-Tunic.html and a gray, flowered tunic in the Anthropologie sale section to wear with leggings. And I am still looking for a boyfriend cardigan. Otherwise, I am trying to wear some of my older nice tops and some of the Heritage cardigans from LE Canvas.

etwahl
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I got the Veronica boots today. I think I'm going to send them back :( I like them, BUT they feel like they are squeezing down on my tops (from the top). Also, I'm thinking I might prefer a more stream-lined (less western?) boot. I'm sad. I really want to like them. I just don't think they're quite me :(

Anyone know of a cheap way to ship a box 6 lbs, 21x15x6? The UPS quote I'm getting online is HUGE. That will teach me for going for the good price (20% off) rather than going for free returns.