PDA

View Full Version : What are you getting your 7 - 8 year old boy?

KrisM
11-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm stumped :).

DS1 is 7.5. He has a DSLite and has Snap Circuits. He likes games and doesn't like Lego much any more. I need a good idea for a Christmas gift. Any ideas? Or what are you buying?

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2011, 09:35 AM
I've considered a portable air hockey table for my ds1 in the past. Would he like something like that? How about a science experiment kit?

Beth

hellokitty
11-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Mini-fooze ball table, lego alarm clock, snap circuits rover.

kristac
11-05-2011, 09:50 AM
already have for my almost 7 year old-
beyblades and travel stadium
slamwich
qwirkle
ikea crank flashight
asking for- pokemon toys (specifically happy meal toys :tongue5: )
Cars 2 video game (PS3 game is rated 10+ so I'm thinking of getting the Plug & Play TV game from Jax Pacific)
remote control helicopter
star wars toys
definately getting- 2011 hess truck
Lego Star Wars Padawan Menace DVD
maybe- Rory Story Cubes
Madlibs
perplexus
fishing gear
camping tent
christmas hexbugs
Meon interactive animation station
Craft Tape Center (he would love this but I can't talk myself into the price)
http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/product/productDet.jsp?productItemID=1%2C689%2C949%2C371%2 C895%2C808&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181113&bmUID=1314798500067
Madlibs
Piano/Keyboard/Guitar ?
Loops
Pumpanator
Electronic Globe
Pogo Stick

Other ideas
Basketball hoop (over door)
sports gear
yo baby kick flipper
stencil set

sariana
11-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Hockey skates? I notice you're in Michigan....

What about some sort of lessons?

I would say Pistons tickets, but that would be pretty pointless right now, huh? (j/k--I don't know exactly where you live--I'm just making fun of the NBA.)

My DS is almost 7 1/2 too, and I'm a loss for him. He does still like Legos but has sets he hasn't even opened yet. He is not athletic at all. DH doesn't like things with little pieces (so Snap Circuits are out).

We probably will get a handheld game of some sort, but you said your DS already has that. (scratching head)

KrisM
11-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Some good ideas, most of which he has or would not like. He doesn't like Star Wars either. He has the Perplexus and I'm thinking of getting the Epic version. He's not artsy/crafty and not really athletic and not into sports. Sounds pretty boring, huh?

I do have Spy Gear on my list. Forgot that. I have a couple small items and the video car.

Games: Ticket to Ride, Labyrinth, Game of Life

He's asked to learn to ice skate, but the closest place is 20 min away. I'm not sure about it. Nice idea though and I'll look into it.

We are about 8 miles from where the Pistons play, but he could care less :).

He'd love an air hockey table! Are there good portable ones? I actually do have this on my idea list: http://www.amazon.com/Face-Off-Frenzy-Power-Band-Hockey/dp/B0015R1AY2/

DD has the Yo Baby Kick Flipper on her list. I've thought about getting another, but then wonder if I need 3 at that point :). I'll probably just have it on her list.

Thanks for the ideas.

sariana
11-05-2011, 12:16 PM
Does he like to read? My DS loves to receive books, which is nice because it's so easy.

It's funny: DS saw the Perplexus at a party last summer and loved it. So I got that for him. Our boys must be clones.

I can't remember what's around there (used to live in Farmington Hills), but would he like a museum membership or something like that? A trip to Cedar Point? Season passes to a Go-Kart place or something similar?

KrisM
11-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Does he like to read? My DS loves to receive books, which is nice because it's so easy.

It's funny: DS saw the Perplexus at a party last summer and loved it. So I got that for him. Our boys must be clones.

I can't remember what's around there (used to live in Farmington Hills), but would he like a museum membership or something like that? A trip to Cedar Point? Season passes to a Go-Kart place or something similar?

He does like to read. My mom gets all the grandkids books, so that is covered.

The Perplexus is really neat, isn't it?

We are north enough that it's a trip to most places, like museums. He'd love Cedar Point, but we're working up to that with the younger kids.

artvandalay
11-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Totally watching this thread. DS just turned 7. I know I'm getting him the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, a monogrammed small travel toiletry kid from LLB, kid's bow and arrow, a DS and at least one game, and a Blackhawks jersey.

speo
11-05-2011, 06:18 PM
Skateboard?

mrshalco
11-05-2011, 06:41 PM
DS is 7 now....will be 8 in May. His xmas list is crazy!!!! He is asking for all the big name/price items (ipad, ipod touch, xbox 360 with kinnect, any and all DS's, etc)

So far I have:
A bunch of DVD's (bought throughout the year at consignment sales)
Paper Jamz guitar

I will (probably) pick up:
Some BeyBlade stuff (just starting to get into this)
Some pokemon cards
A DSxl
I liked the Perplexus that someone linked - That would be right up his alley
Some Spy Gear stuff
Some Science Experiment stuff (love the stuff in the mindware catalog)

crl
11-05-2011, 06:53 PM
So far I ordered him snow boots and will announce a day to play in the snow to go with them (we have to drive for snow). I also have some books for him. And we are thinking about a new bike, although it doesn't seem like a very good present because he usually hates it when we change things like that. I'm a little stumped honestly.

Catherine

KrisM
11-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Skateboard? Have one ready for his birthday in April.

Totally watching this thread. DS just turned 7. I know I'm getting him the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, a monogrammed small travel toiletry kid from LLB, kid's bow and arrow, a DS and at least one game, and a Blackhawks jersey.

He wants the Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, too. He's only read the first though, from the library. I think I'm going to have my mom get him the set.

DS is 7 now....will be 8 in May. His xmas list is crazy!!!! He is asking for all the big name/price items (ipad, ipod touch, xbox 360 with kinnect, any and all DS's, etc)

So far I have:
A bunch of DVD's (bought throughout the year at consignment sales)
Paper Jamz guitar

I will (probably) pick up:
Some BeyBlade stuff (just starting to get into this)
Some pokemon cards
A DSxl
I liked the Perplexus that someone linked - That would be right up his alley
Some Spy Gear stuff
Some Science Experiment stuff (love the stuff in the mindware catalog)

I need to go through that catalog again!

So far I ordered him snow boots and will announce a day to play in the snow to go with them (we have to drive for snow). I also have some books for him. And we are thinking about a new bike, although it doesn't seem like a very good present because he usually hates it when we change things like that. I'm a little stumped honestly.

Catherine

Glad I'm not the only one stumped :).

new_mommy25
11-05-2011, 10:56 PM
I have no clue. He got a bike and skateboard for his September birthday from us. He's kind of moved past a lot of toys. He does like Lego and Beyblades still but we have too much already. He loves Pokemon cards, Miyazaki films, board games, video games, swimming, reading, and pandas.

For his stocking I am thinking a soft panda blanket, a few books, itunes gift card, goggles, quality colored pencils, pokemon cards, maybe a DS game.

For the big gift maybe a boogie board or razor rip rider. But he already has a bike, skateboard, and several Razor scooters so I don't know if the trike is overkill. DH is talking dirt bike but I don't know about that.

eta: I also want to get him a watch. Any suggestions? The slap watches at Nordstroms looked kind of cool but it also seems unpractical.

kijip
11-06-2011, 04:15 AM
So far, we are planning to pass off my husband's 4th Gen iPod touch since my husband is getting an iPhone this week. I bought T an otterbox commuter case for it in his fave color and we are going to load it up with all his music and apps. I am also going to make him a scarf as well as buy him smartwools and a hat and he will get some new books, possibly related to birdwatching, which he has taken to with gusto, and also the latest Diary of a Wimpy kid book. That covers want, read and wear. I have no idea for need. He has not asked for an iPod but I am quite sure he will want it once he opens it up.

He is still super into Lego but he has and continues to receive so much of it that we do not add to it at this point.

mnosky1
11-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Magic tricks?

daniele_ut
11-06-2011, 02:29 PM
DS just turned 7 a few weeks ago and has suddenly gotten *really* into Lego sets. He got a Ninjago set for his birthday and we took him to get another one that was on sale at TRU yesterday with his birthday money. He is also still really into Hot Wheels and got a couple of new tracks for his birthday that he loves.

I have the whole set of Hot Wheels Wall Tracks ready for him for Christmas and I am thinking of picking up one of the vehicle Erector sets at Costco since he likes building so much lately.

brittone2
11-06-2011, 03:35 PM
DS1 is 7.5 and will be a few weeks shy of 8 at Christmas.

I am stumped this year.

THings he would like or has requested:
bow and arrow (wants a real one as a 10 yo neighbor has one. Not happening, but may buy something Nerf like).
Bigger Nerf gun (plays w/ neighborhood kids)
DS
Wii
Lego
backpack (he doesn't have a full sized one since we HS. This would not exactly be novel for most kids LOL. Ordered a LE one on super sale)
new snow boots (getting, but probably before Christmas. Should be here this week).
Science kits (Thames and Kosmos, etc.)
upgraded microscope (won't happen for Christmas but probably in the next year, but again, we HS and this would be part of HSing not really a "gift" per se)
GCs to B&N
Lego Mindstorms (under consideration)
skateboard but he hasn't requested this in quite some time

He still plays with cars, matchbox cars, etc. and would like a big ramp/garage/gas station thing for them that he saw in a catalog. We had one but the ramp was stepped on and broken.

He likes his Nook a lot. He still enjoys his regular digital camera (non kid version).

We're scaling back this year because they really have sooo much stuff. We're aiming for the whole something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read bit. I have DD pretty well covered (plan in place) but I'm finding shopping for DS1 really tough!

Corie
11-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm so glad you asked this question!! My son is 7 yrs. old and
even he has no idea what he wants for Christmas!!

He already has a Play Station 3 and a Nintendo DSi XL.

He told me that he already has all the cool stuff and he can't
think of anything else he wants.
But he is sure that Santa will think of some totally awesome presents
because Santa always brings me super cool toys! :) So now I'm
under some serious pressure!!

KrisM
11-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Okay, this is my list for him so far and includes things his grandparents, aunt and uncles will buy, too.

Bean bag for our 'new' game room
games: Ticket to Ride, Labryinth, Life, Screwball Scramble
DS game: Professor Layton's, Beyblade, Super Mario Brothers
Spy stuff: door alarm, handcuffs, video trakkr
CSI stuff: walkie talkies, Crime solving kit
Diary of a Wimpy kid books
Rokenbok fork lift, crane
Latch hook kit
stocking: gyroscope, tornado tube, magic trick, joke CD, 20 Q game

Of these things, he's asked for the Super Mario Brothers and Beyblade games, Life, spy and CSI stuff, the fork lift, the latch hook kit, and Screwball Scramble.

All the kids are getting a bean bag, as we're getting another TV for the play room and have no furniture in there.

He'll be happy with all of the things listed, I am sure. But, I feel like it's a blah list.

I guess this is a tough age, huh.

kristac
11-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Where'd you find a boyish latch hook kit?

o_mom
11-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Mine are still into Lego, so that will be part of it. DS1 really likes the Lego games that are like a quest (Fortaan, etc.) so I think I'll add to that. Not sure what else. I'm not inclined to go with a DS or iTouch, etc., so I'm probably as stumped as you.

Oh... Angry Birds Knock on Wood is something he asked for.

I'm trying to decide if we should arm everyone with Nerf guns this year. I had held off on them for various reasons and we never missed them until recently when the new kids next door have an arsenal and we are woefully underarmed. It's on my 'maybe' list, I'm just not sure.

KrisM
11-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Where'd you find a boyish latch hook kit?

Someone in his class brought a latch hook in for sharing day (show and tell). It was this Tie Dye one (http://www.amazon.com/Shaggy-SGY008-12-Inch-Latch-Hook-Small/dp/B001DEER9C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1320617690&sr=8-2)and that's what he wants. I think it's boy or girl just fine. Same link has a peace sign and a fish that would work, too. Some of the same designs are 25x25 or 12x12. I'm going small!

sntm
11-06-2011, 09:10 PM
DS is 8.5 - totally obsessed with Star Wars Lego so that is most of it. He has an iTouch we got used from a friend that currently is empty because of mommy-error, so I'm going to load his favorite games and songs on it. Books on chess. I bought him several of the original Wizard of Oz books. He also loves spy stuff and chemistry sets. He has two Nerf guns and requested the rifle. I've been thinking about getting him his own alarm clock/iTouch charger that he can play his music on as well. A pair of pajamas is traditional.

I love the suggetions, though! Keep them coming! I'm more stumped on stocking gifts this year.

purpleeyes
11-06-2011, 10:41 PM
DS is very into lego's so I'm thinking about making this:

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/home-garden-projects/kids-bedroom-crafts/kids-bedroom-makeovers/built-for-building-1027109/

Plus the 2012 Lego Calendar
http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Calendar-2012-LEGO/dp/0761165185/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320633624&sr=8-1

and the next Lego Book written by Sean Kelly:
http://www.amazon.com/Cool-City-Sean-Kenney/dp/0805087621/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320633640&sr=1-1

Gotta think about some stocking ideas...

belovedgandp
11-07-2011, 12:43 AM
My 7 1/2 YO is using his remote control car to death. Getting another one for Christmas this year.

We like Legos and also do K'Nex.

Favorite thing from his birthday was a digital camera.

essnce629
11-07-2011, 07:15 AM
I haven't really thought about it yet or asked DS1 what he wants, but I'm sure he'll say more Legos, Beyblades, Bakugan, and books. I always get him some new board games as well. For books, he's been reading the Hardy Boys series so I'll probably get him some more of those since he just finished 1-6. And he mentioned the Magic Tree House series as well.

For games, I'm looking at Bananagrams, Shut the Box, 10 Days In Africa, Dominion, Guess Who Mix and Mash, Toss Up, and Pay Day.

MichelleRC
11-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Pokemon cards (and new card holders)
Lap Desks
Lego for DS1
Snap Circuits for DS1 (although they will both probably enjoy it)
Chemistry Set for DS1
The New Diary of A Wimpy Kid book
new slippers--not sure where to get
itunes gift card

I do love the idea of bean bag chairs although our family room is pretty crowded already

DS2 (7) is my problem. He asked for the 3d DS, but they have the regular ones and they each have an ipod touch, so unless I can't think of anything else, I will forego that.

I was looking at the hexbug set in Costco.

Looking for more suggestions!

Corie
11-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Pay Day.

My kids LOVE playing Pay Day!!! (ages 7 and 10)

almostmom
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
My son just had his 8 year old birthday party yesterday, and actually got some really great gifts. Here are some ideas:

Loopz - I had never heard of this, but it's great. Kind of like the old fashioned Simon. Both my kids are loving it.
We got him juggling sticks. They will take some practice, but will be a fun thing to do alone.
Hogwarts castle legos from my parents. My son really has never much been into legos, but he's so psyched about this and has already dived in.
uno spin - haven't tried it, but looks fun
We got him Mario Brothers for Wii. The first game we've ever bought. Wow, was that expensive! But he was thrilled.
Sudoku for kids
Nerf guns. We've never said yes to these before, but I was kind of sick of every time a friend came over he just wanted to play Wii (he didn't play much otherwise, but it was the playdate game of choice). I figured this was something they could do that was interactive. And I don't think it will make him more violent of anything, that it is just a phase. Anyway, he loves them. I still feel mixed, but there's no going back now!
Harry Potter illuminating wand
Harry Potter spellbook (made by me!)
Bey blades
I'd love to find some avatar figurines, but haven't found the right thing yet.
Sports pajamas

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
This is my list for DS age 7

Lego Hogwarts Castle
DS game/games (maybe Scribblenauts & ??)
Lego Hero Factory Witch Doctor
Snap Circuits Jr
nano bugs - glow in the dark set from Costco
Harry Potter Movies 1-6
Can you Keep a secret books, 1-4
Ornament

Hippoharbor
11-07-2011, 02:24 PM
This seems like a fairly long list (and it keeps growing), but I do the Christmas shopping for myself and XH and items split between the two houses; DS does not get presents from other family members

Big gift this year is XBOX 360
XBOX skylander game
3pk skylander characters

Toy Story 3 Operation (Raced over to TRU yesterday morning to get one)
Pokedex book
Pokemon cards (excited...found jumbo cardZoroark with HP 500)
pokemon 100pc jigsaw puzzle; wish I could find 200pc one
DS game- Namco museum (atari games)
Beyblade IR Spin Control ("use launcher to control top in battle")
Stress Free Chess board game
chess lessons
Connect 4 Launchers
Simon Flash
Clue game
Uno with hard storage case
Bananagrams
Rory's Storycubes
Weaving Loom Kit
Nerf football
Model airplane kit ($2 B&N find)
Foam Strike Pocket Shot Slingshot
books: Every Thing on It (Silverstein)
How to Draw Pokemon Characters with packet of tracing paper
Interupting Chicken
Sticky Burr
A Very Merry Christmas (Geronimo Stilton)
Falling For Rapunzel
Miss Smith's Incredible Storybook
Star Wars Pop-up book
The Little House
If you Find A Rock
Judy Blume (Fudge-a-mania, Superfudge)
Lego StarWars Character Encyclopedia

Stocking:
Cyclone Tube (connect 2 bottles filled with water to create cyclone)
slinky
Kanoodle puzzle game
Star War's yoyo, mechanical pencils and activity book (target dollar spot)
Lego Xpod creator

groundhog74
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
So far he has asked for more Legos, GoGos and another DS game. I like that Perplexus someone posted. I think we might get him the game Blokus. He really liked a Hoberman Sphere he saw in a gift shop, but I'm not sure what you really do with it. I really like the Basher math and science books so we might get him another of those.

Corie
11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
For the big gift maybe a boogie board or razor rip rider.

The Razor Rip Rider is so much fun!!! My son loves it! (He is 7 yrs. old.)

Every kid in our cul-de-sac wants to ride on it. The kids fight over
who gets the next turn.

Gena
11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
DS will be getting a Lionel train set and some train decor for his room from us.

nicknack
11-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Here's what I'm thinking so far...

*Playmobil Secret Agent Lair
*Playmobil spy camera thing
*Lego Ninjago Fire Temple
*a few Wii games (he's getting a Wii for his bday in 2 weeks)
*Yogibo pillow

That's about it for now, plus a few small things. My kids get SO much from other family members that I like to keep it small.

Corie
11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Harry Potter spellbook (made by me!)

I'd love to see some pictures of your spell book!!

KrisM
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
This is my list for DS age 7

Lego Hogwarts Castle
DS game/games (maybe Scribblenauts & ??)
Lego Hero Factory Witch Doctor
Snap Circuits Jr
nano bugs - glow in the dark set from Costco
Harry Potter Movies 1-6
Can you Keep a secret books, 1-4
Ornament

What are these books?

KrisM
11-08-2011, 06:17 PM
So far he has asked for more Legos, GoGos and another DS game. I like that Perplexus someone posted. I think we might get him the game Blokus. He really liked a Hoberman Sphere he saw in a gift shop, but I'm not sure what you really do with it. I really like the Basher math and science books so we might get him another of those.

First, consider Blokus 3D. We like it much more than regular Blokus and it's a much better game for fewer than 4 people.

Second, 2-3 years ago, DS1 convinced me to buy a Hoberman Sphere at a garage sale. They still love it. Seriously fun! We have a big one - they get inside it. They wear it as a space helmet. They just really like it.

Corie
11-09-2011, 08:15 PM
This book was just recommended to me by my sister-in-law.

My 8 yr. old nephew LOVES it!

It's the book called, The Worst Case Scenario Books (Junior Edition). They have a Gross edition which is supposedly hysterical.

toby
11-13-2011, 05:43 PM
camera?

toby
11-14-2011, 11:04 AM
My 7 1/2 YO is using his remote control car to death. Getting another one for Christmas this year.

We like Legos and also do K'Nex.

Favorite thing from his birthday was a digital camera.

What remote car and what camera?

DS really likes the helicopter that he got for his bday. He probably wasn't quite ready for it since it has hit the ceiling a number of times and it may be on its way out, but I am very impressed with the quality compared to the price. It helps if you have high ceilings. Sellers are different on Amazon, so just check out their satisfaction rating before you buy.
http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107G-Helicopter-Colors/dp/8499000606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321282765&sr=8-1

Unfortunately these will not fit with DS's Keva planks (Kapla), but I think that he will like them. I saw them IRL...and there is a good sale here:
http://www.rosiehippo.com/p-1994-tomtect-blocks-40-off.aspx

Also, remote control spider that goes up the wall. It is probably very cheap, but it is the only thing that he has asked for. Free ship at Toys R Us right now:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4429259

Newest How to Train Your Dragon book:
http://www.amazon.com/Train-Your-Dragon-Book-Misadventures/dp/0316176184/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1321282978&sr=8-12

GaPeach_in_Ca
11-14-2011, 03:07 PM
What are these books?

It's a series of books by "Pseudonymous Bosch". Here's the complete series collection at Target:
The Secret Series (http://www.target.com/p/The-Secret-Series-Complete-Collection-Hardcover/-/A-13688879)

Not only is the name of this series a secret, but the story is, too. For it concerns a secret--a big secret--that has been tormenting people like you for over . . . oh no Did I just mention the secret? Then it's too late. I'm afraid nothing will stop you now. Read this series if you must. But please, tell no one.

My son got the last book in the series for his brithday and he LOVED it. I'm going to get him the rest for Christmas.

KrisM
11-14-2011, 04:05 PM
It's a series of books by "Pseudonymous Bosch". Here's the complete series collection at Target:
The Secret Series (http://www.target.com/p/The-Secret-Series-Complete-Collection-Hardcover/-/A-13688879)

My son got the last book in the series for his brithday and he LOVED it. I'm going to get him the rest for Christmas.

Thanks! I had that first one in my Amazon cart for a bit and wondered about them. I'm glad to know it's a hit. I think I'll get him the first for Christmas.

inmypjs
11-15-2011, 02:06 AM
A lot of things mentioned are on my list for my 7 yo, however one thing I didn't see are Jaw Bones:
http://www.amazon.com/Jawbones-Construction-Toys-100-Piece/dp/B0018Q0186/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321337198&sr=8-2

They are a great building set! The parts stay together well yet are easily manipulated/turned. DS got a small set as a gift and we are going to get him some more.

essnce629
11-15-2011, 03:03 AM
I just bought this Laser Tag set for DS1. The price I got it at ($18.xx) is the lowest it's ever been (according to camelcamelcamel.com) and it gets excellent reviews! Our 9 year old neighbor boy is here all the time and I bet he and DS will have a blast playing with it.

Spy Net: Spy Strike Laser Dueling System
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DVB8NG

Oh, and I just ordered this Cyclaws Remote Control Vehicle for $36.80 which is the lowest it's ever been as well. It's $50 on the TRU website. DS1 keeps mentioning wanting a remote control car and talks about the Cars 2 car, but this one seems way better.
http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-88140-Cyclaws-Control-Vehicle/dp/B003YBIEHS/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1321341450&sr=1-1

jse107
11-15-2011, 02:43 PM
The Razor Rip Rider is so much fun!!! My son loves it! (He is 7 yrs. old.)

Every kid in our cul-de-sac wants to ride on it. The kids fight over
who gets the next turn.

This will be DS's big gift. Also getting beyblades, hex bugs, itunes gc, Redskins gear, Penn State gear, and whatever else I think of later!