PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite way to prepare broccoli as a side?

randomkid
11-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I usually just steam DD's with a little kosher salt and garlic powder. For everyone else, I cook in the stovetop wok, sort of stir fry/steam with a little salt, red pepper flakes and crushed fresh garlic. When almost done, I add in toasted pine nuts. We all like it this way, but I'm looking for something different yet still simple that doesn't have a lot of sauce, etc.

Ideas? Recipes?

Thanks

wencit
11-05-2011, 07:55 PM
This Rachael Ray recipe is sooo good! Roasting the broccoli makes it tastes nutty and delicious:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chili-garlic-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html

DietCokeLover
11-05-2011, 08:21 PM
I steam it then spritz with a little balsamic vinaigrette. Yum!

hellokitty
11-05-2011, 09:10 PM
I do an asian stir fry. Lightly brown some crushed garlic in oil of choice in a saute pan. Throw in the the cut broccoli florets. Add in fresh ground pepper, about a tablespoon of oyster sauce (you can find this in the asian aisle, it's VERY salty, so a little goes a long way) and a few squirts of TOASTED (dark) sesame oil (also in asian aisle). I then put in a couple tablespoons of water and let the broccoli steam for a couple minutes until it looks ready and is still bright green (basically, you don't want to overcook it) and serve it up. I've never had problems getting my kids to eat broccoli with this recipe.

joules
11-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Stir fry with oyster sauce. Or microwaved with a side of Siracha mixed with Mayo (I just finished a big bowl of this).

kijip
11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Stir fried or roasted with garlic.

Nyfeara
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Like a PP said, roasting is good too. Hi temp oven, little olive oil, salt & pepper. It tastes sort of nutty when it's done. Occasionally, we'll also grate some parmesan cheese over it while it's still hot.

We also like a recipe, I think it was Sunny Anderson from Food Network. You put a small amount of water in a pan with garlic and put a lid on the pan to steam the broccoli. Once it's tender, drain the water that's left and use a little lemon juice on the broccoli.

ahrimie
11-07-2011, 12:16 AM
This Rachael Ray recipe is sooo good! Roasting the broccoli makes it tastes nutty and delicious:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/chili-garlic-roasted-broccoli-recipe/index.html

I love love it this way. We roast cauliflower too.

elephantmeg
11-07-2011, 05:10 AM
I've been putting it into a glass pyrex, drizzling with olive oil and then a herb seasoning blend and baking it for 45-60 min. YUM. The kids love it. I generally by the bag of mixed veggies in the produce aisle-broc/caul/carrots and throw them all in.

essnce629
11-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I roast mine too with some olive oil, butter, garlic, and a little seasoned salt (vege-sal). Sometimes I shred some parmesan cheese over it at the end as well. Yum!

lizzywednesday
11-07-2011, 02:59 PM
We like it blanched so it's bright green but still crunchy.

It's how I got DH to realize he liked broccoli.

It's one of those veggies that would also lend itself well to roasting (toss in olive oil, S&P, lay flat on a cookie sheet & roast in the oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes or whatever ... a little pancetta would be great in this, too.)

And, well, DD will eat it raw, so if I can find organic, I think that's what I'll be serving for snack foods at our next Christmas get-together with my mom's oh-so-70s deviled ham veggie dip.

baileygirl
11-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Thanks for posting this, DH and I really liked it!

wencit
11-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Glad you liked it! :thumbsup:

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2011, 10:08 PM
steamed with salt. Boring but yummy. :)

Beth

hillview
11-11-2011, 10:18 PM
steamed. sometimes we have dipping sauce (salad dressing) or cheese (parm) available in side bowls for the kids.

alexsmommy
11-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Roasted with olive oil and parmesan.