PDA

View Full Version : Basil help!!

twowhat?
11-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I have an entire grocery bag full of fresh basil (roots still attached) that the girls' teacher gave us from the school garden. I obviously can't use it all right away but would like to freeze it in some way that makes it adaptable for different recipes (in other words, I don't want to just make it all into pesto).

Ideas??

rin
11-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Blend it up with just olive oil & freeze it flat in freezer bags. If you want to use it in sauces, etc, you can just break off chunks of it in whatever size you need; if you want to make pesto just mix up the parmesan, garlic, pine nuts & then add the basil.

lizzywednesday
11-07-2011, 02:54 PM
My mother just freezes it by putting it in zip-top baggies & squishing the air out. When it's frozen, she squishes the bag to chop or mince it and - voila! - "fresh" herbs.

KLD313
11-07-2011, 05:09 PM
My mother just freezes it by putting it in zip-top baggies & squishing the air out. When it's frozen, she squishes the bag to chop or mince it and - voila! - "fresh" herbs.

Yeah, you can freeze it just the way it is.

twowhat?
11-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Thanks! Do the leaves need to be completely dry before freezing?