PDA

View Full Version : What's everybodys favorite winter stroller?

Eagletmom
11-07-2011, 03:28 PM
So I am still lovin my MB plus one and it will probably content to be my main car stroller for the duration of the season. But I am curious what reversible single seat stroller do you all like for the winter months??? I wish I could modify my MB swift somehow to make it reverse, but I am not that handy or crafty. My Bugaboo bee doesn't navigate well through the heavy snow so I will likely retire it until the spring. I wish I could get my hands on an iCandy peach jogger or the easywalker June. Those two look like they would be fantastic in the snow. Or maybe a bugaboo frog with snow tires???? :bouncy:

swissair81
11-07-2011, 04:47 PM
I'll be honest, I love my reversible strollers, but only the Mountain Buggies (or insert your awesomely amazing AT here) will do during the winter months.

daniele_ut
11-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I have a Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle Double that I'll use for walks when there is snow on the ground this winter.

crl
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
When I lived where there was snow, my BOB SU was great. I think you need big air tires to do snow.

Catherine

MamaBear
11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
I like both my Cameleon (with the snow tires) and Mutsy Urban Rider for snow, and both are reversible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

WatchingThemGrow
11-07-2011, 09:45 PM
We pack up the BJCED to go walking in the snow/ice. It holds lots of groceries from TJ's, our favorite snow-day outing..

swissair81
11-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I like both my Cameleon (with the snow tires) and Mutsy Urban Rider for snow, and both are reversible.

Oh maybe that's it. I probably need snow tires. The Cam's regular tires do not cut the mustard when it comes to midwestern winters.

babyonway
11-08-2011, 12:14 AM
snow tires? Where does one get these? Are they stroller specific?

MamaBear
11-08-2011, 12:58 AM
snow tires? Where does one get these? Are they stroller specific?

Bugaboo has a set that fits the Cam and Frog. Turns the stroller into a fixed-wheel set-up, but works wonderfully in snow (ior on rough terrain). I first used them on a Swiss mountain, they got me out of the house during an especially snowy Toronto winter, and around Whistler. The UR's tires are fatter, so tgey're better still, but the Bug snow tires work rather well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

arivecchi
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Mountain Buggy Terrain. It can tackle deep snowbanks.

Eagletmom
11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
No reversibles huh? I think microlite makes a AT wheel for the toro but it doesn't reverse. These are the days I wish I had my valco rad with jogging wheel back;)

mom3boys
11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure how it will work yet, but I'm eager to try my Teutonia (3 wheels, reversible, and air tires, although the tires are not really the type that will dig into snow) also a hand brake, might help minimize sliding. As a PP said I think the Mutsy UR would work well, and that's reversible.

And Valco is coming out with a new reversible AT stroller--a link to a picture was posted on another thread here a couple of days ago. Unfortunately I don't think it will be out until at least the spring so no one will get to test it out in the snow!

MamaBear
11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
I listed two reversibles!

(Don't you have a Mutsy? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else?)

Eagletmom
11-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I listed two reversibles!

(Don't you have a Mutsy? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else?)

Ooops sorry I should have said no other reversibles. I sold my mutsy 4rider in order to buy my plus one. Although if I could find an affordable mutsy slider I would jump on it :-)

or maybe a vista...

legaleagle
11-08-2011, 12:10 PM
. Although if I could find an affordable mutsy slider I would jump on it :-)

Mystrollers.com has a red floor model slider + bassinet for $389. You should buy it so I can stop being tempted by it!

http://www.mystrollers.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=SLI-RED

babyonway
11-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Bugaboo has a set that fits the Cam and Frog. Turns the stroller into a fixed-wheel set-up, but works wonderfully in snow (ior on rough terrain). I first used them on a Swiss mountain, they got me out of the house during an especially snowy Toronto winter, and around Whistler. The UR's tires are fatter, so tgey're better still, but the Bug snow tires work rather well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse wacky auto-correct-induced typos.

Do they fit Bob's. do Bob's need snow tires?

arivecchi
11-08-2011, 12:45 PM
I had a slider and I would not have wanted to steer it in snow! It was a little hard to steer without snow.

swissair81
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Ooops sorry I should have said no other reversibles. I sold my mutsy 4rider in order to buy my plus one. Although if I could find an affordable mutsy slider I would jump on it :-)

or maybe a vista...

You do not really want to push a Vista in the snow.

strollerqueen
11-08-2011, 01:47 PM
No reversibles huh? I think microlite makes a AT wheel for the toro but it doesn't reverse. These are the days I wish I had my valco rad with jogging wheel back;)
Look for a true pram. You can find older ones in great shape on CL, Ebay, or StrollerSwap. I have an Emmaljunga Ringo with 13" tires that would be killer in snow. Came from Sweden, after all! :wink2:

mackmama
11-08-2011, 11:21 PM
MB Terrain!

roseyloxs
11-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Since having kids I haven't had any snow that stuck around for more than a few hours so all my strollers have worked in the winter. Can't wait to see what Germany brings. I'll probably end up using the BJ switchback to walk my son to school. The tires will rock in the snow plus it has a handbrake for the steep (and possibly slippery) hill.

Eagletmom
11-09-2011, 10:02 AM
I had a slider and I would not have wanted to steer it in snow! It was a little hard to steer without snow.

I really liked my slider, for the few months I had it:ROTFLMAO:

The mama I traded with had used it quite a bit in the snow.

Eagletmom
11-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Look for a true pram. You can find older ones in great shape on CL, Ebay, or StrollerSwap. I have an Emmaljunga Ringo with 13" tires that would be killer in snow. Came from Sweden, after all! :wink2:

That Emma sounds gorgeous! But probably not the best stroller to be lifting in and out of the car with a bad back. I do have an old Quinny freestyle with 4 12 inch that will work for around the neighborhood but it's a beast...

Eagletmom
11-09-2011, 10:12 AM
You do not really want to push a Vista in the snow.

You sound like you have had some experience with the vista in the snow....
I only owned one during the summer, but it would have to push better than the bee right?

arivecchi
11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
I really liked my slider, for the few months I had it:ROTFLMAO:

The mama I traded with had used it quite a bit in the snow.I really liked it too! It was just a little hard to steer at times, so I cannot imagine it pushing it in a lot of snow! It was one cool stoller though!

Beth24
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I only owned one during the summer, but it would have to push better than the bee right?

You may laugh that I am giving advice about pushing the Vista in the snow given that I live in SoCal, but I took my Vista to Mammoth about 10 times last winter...and it was me and the baby home in the condo all day with no car while everyone was skiing, so I used the Vista a lot!

Here is what I learned...it works fine on groomed sidewalks/roads and light snow dustings. It did not work well at all when the roads were rutty, with chunked up snow. It just kept getting stuck. I know i am statng the obvious but it certainly didn't work as well as my Terrain (but we didn't always have room in the car for Terry). But IMO it would definitely work better than the bee because the wheels are so much bigger.

swissair81
11-09-2011, 12:15 PM

I'm assuming it pushes better than the Bee+ (which I actually have never tried to push in the snow. It seemed so pointless.) It's okay, but it is really only okay on a really light covering of level and smooth snow. My Swift and Duo handle the snow much better.

strollerqueen
11-09-2011, 12:55 PM
That Emma sounds gorgeous! But probably not the best stroller to be lifting in and out of the car with a bad back. I do have an old Quinny freestyle with 4 12 inch that will work for around the neighborhood but it's a beast...
Well, you break it down into two pieces, as you do with most reversibles. So you are only lifting the seat, or the chassis, at once. It weighs about 30 pounds, which is lighter than a Mutsy. Most strollers with bigger wheels are heavier, especially reversibles.