PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight--as in *lightest* possible--stroller?

benandhensmom
11-08-2011, 09:16 PM
Hi, all,

I posted awhile ago looking for a lightweight stroller in NYC--and ultimately ended up sticking with a stroller that we actually already owned(!)--the Micralite FF Superlite. But, our au pair, who is with our 2- and 4-year-old most of the weekdays, has asked for a lighter stroller--like a really, really lightweight one that she can haul down the subway steps with relative ease. Are the Maclaren Volo and UPPAbaby G-Lite the lightest weight strollers around? (I think they're both 8.8 pounds.) I know that the push won't be as great, but she'll only be using it for short trips and weight is the most important thing to her. FWIW, it's only our 2-year-old who goes in the stroller, and he's pretty tiny (just 25 pounds). Any other strollers to consider? Any reason folks prefer one over the other?

TIA!

Melanie

bearwithme
11-08-2011, 10:00 PM
I loved my Volo when I lived in NYC. It's perfect for public transportation. And I love the feel of the Mac steering. I bought it because it was lighter than my quest. When you're dealing with kids and bags and the subway stairs, I feel like every ounce or so makes a difference.

Are there still a lot of Volos in your neighborhood? I don't know much about the g-lite so I can't comment

benandhensmom
11-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I've actually seen a bunch of G-Lites and G-Luxes--and plenty of Macs too, of course. We have a 4-year-old Quest that is still holding strong, but I get that a couple of pounds makes a difference when wrangling two kids on public transportation. We're in brownstone Brooklyn (read: not super smooth sidewalks), which gives me a bit of hesitation about the smaller wheels on some of these--but I'd rather spend the money for a G-Lite or Volo than a super cheap but really crappy no-name stroller from BRU or somewhere similar. But maybe BRU now carries some super-cheap but worthwhile lightweight strollers...? I dunno.