PDA

View Full Version : Beets - recipes needed

Jen841
11-08-2011, 11:23 PM
I have 5 to use still. I roasted them tonight, so I need something else to do for tomorrow or the next night.

Trying to convince DH that beets are not bad.

gobadgers
11-08-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm not a big beet fan, and we've gotten a ton of them this year.

I've made this grated beet salad (I add in carrots, turnips, whatever other veggies we have on hand): http://sandhillorganics.com/recipe/print/430

Or just grated over the top of our regular lettuce/spinach salads

Or cooked, peeled and tossed with goat cheese and dressing (goat cheese makes everything taste better, right?)

Also, I made this beet chocolate cake: http://sandhillorganics.com/recipe/print/304. Everyone ate it, although we all agreed it was not quite birthday cake worthy :)

rin
11-08-2011, 11:59 PM
I love beets, and we grow them in our garden and eat a lot of them.

I make a chocolate beet cake that my whole extended family (well, minus my vocal 12-year-old cousin :)) loves. It's similar to the one PP posted, except the beets are cooked first. My father, in fact, always requests it for his birthday cake! If you're interested PM me & I'll dig out the recipe.

I also like to make borscht. I do a vinegary one, no tomatoes, and then I serve it with sour cream, fresh dill, and chopped boiled egg. Mmm.

We do a lot of beet salads, too, with both cooked and raw beets.

I like to boil them, cube them, and toss them with a little sea salt, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil and then serve them with baby greens and fresh goat cheese. Sometimes I'll put candied walnuts on if I feel particularly motivated.

I also like to grate them, raw, along with a bunch of carrots. I'll arrange them on a platter in a fun pattern with the carrots and drizzle some salad dressing over. This is nice with either a vinaigrette-type or a creamy-type dressing IMO.

We also do beet "ribbons" added into regular tossed salad; just peel off the skin of the raw beet and then use the vegetable peeler to peel off ribbons of the raw beet flesh. These are a fun, pretty addition to a salad.