PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about swagbucks?

Melaine
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
I keep seeing this come up and am wondering if I should try it? Can someone give me the simplified version of what it entails and your experiences of whether or not it is worth it. How much time do you spend and what do you "earn"? TIA!

boltfam
11-10-2011, 01:13 AM
I just signed up and actually came here to search for tips. I follow this blog, and she gives a little tutorial on swagbucks and also gives tips for earning more.

http://moneysavingmom.com/2011/03/15-ways-to-earn-more-swagbucks-part-1.html

KrisM
11-10-2011, 06:31 AM
I've done it for a just under 2 years. I've earned $165 in Amazon gift cards. Mostly, I search a couple times a day, do the quick no-ob offers, the daily poll, etc that gets me at least 25 Swagbucks a day. If I feel like it, I'll run the swagTV in a browser and get more that way.

I took a long break from maybe May though now though. While it's only 1-2 min a day, it was tedius. I've been doing it more daily in Nov and already have enough for $10 in Amazon gift cards.

If you get 450 swagbucks, you can trade for a $5 Amazon gift card. You can get 5 of the same cards monthly, so $25 worth. I've never maxed out.

If you get referrals underneath you, you get their first 1,000 swagbucks, too. People with blogs post their referrals and I know of one person with 260 or so referrals!

azazela
11-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Yes, you should try it. In fact, I'm very disappointed that you haven't yet, bargain-hunting buddy. :ROTFLMAO:

It's very easy, you can do it as little or as much as you want to. I've earned quite a sizable amount (about $250) of Amazon gift cards in the year and change that I've been doing it. If you "like" them on FB, you can get a lot of tips from active users. I also like http://sbcodez.com/ (a SWB cheating website) for special code info - these pop up randomly and expire quickly so it helps to have someone else do the hard work. You can "like" SB Codez on FB as well and then all the stuff pops up in your FB news feed. I go through periods when I'm really involved and periods when I am not. There are a few things that you can do every morning to get swagbucks (daily polls, no obligation special offer click through), you can watch video ads, you can wait for/put in special codes. You can search using the search engine; it helps to keep an eye on the SWB FB wall - same searching phrase seems to hit for a few minutes so when people post theirs you are more likely to hit swagbucks if you use their winning search phrase. You can also do surveys but those are bit more hit or miss based on whether you qualify for each specific survey or not. Do it!

Nechums
11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
I tried it a few years back. I found it annoying and not worth the time it took just to get a $5 amazon card. Maybe I'll try it again...maybe things have changed? Or maybe I'll have more patience?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Melaine
11-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Yes, you should try it. In fact, I'm very disappointed that you haven't yet, bargain-hunting buddy. :ROTFLMAO:

I know, right? LOL. I've been dragging my feet on signing up but I guess it's time!

Thanks everyone for the info!

JTsMom
11-10-2011, 08:40 AM
I do it too. Sometimes I'm more devoted than others. The easiest way to rack up points are the searches. I have the toolbar installed, and I pull up this site, FB and others that way. You can typically get points for that once in the morning, afternoon and evening- so maybe 20-30 on average. Then I do the poll and NOSOs the others mentioned. There's another site called mycoupons that has a Rewards Programs page where people post about the special offers they do- which ones are good, etc. When I'm more into it, I try to do those, b/c you can pull in a lot of points that way, but it sucks up more time. Some days I'll play the games- the key to that is you have to play one, click back to games, play another, click back, then you'll get 2 pts. You don't actually have to play, so I typically open a second tab and just let it run through- you can do that 5x/day.

I've had terrible luck with the surveys there, and the tasks are ridiculous, so I'd avoid those. You can print coupons there and get pts for redeeming them. There's a trivia thing on FB, but it's almost impossible to win.

Another one to think about is quickrewards. They have better cashback for shopping, and lots of surveys that actually credit. They also offer Disney gc's, which I like. They aren't as well known, but ime, you can make much more through them.

JTsMom
11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Melaine, did you do it? There's a bunch of good stuff on there today! Make sure you look at the bonus bucks bar on the homepage.

Melaine
11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Melaine, did you do it? There's a bunch of good stuff on there today! Make sure you look at the bonus bucks bar on the homepage.

I did it but forgot to look this morning. Thanks for the tip!

azazela
11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Lots of videos too, both on the home page and on the payment wall.:love-retry:

Melaine
11-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Where is the payment wall?

azazela
11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Where is the payment wall?

http://www.swagbucks.com/p/special-offers - it's one of the tabs.

Then click on the video icon - 2 swb for each "watching". It credit multiple times for me.

boltfam
11-11-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks for the tip! Where are the bonus bucks on the homepage?

azazela
11-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the tip! Where are the bonus bucks on the homepage?

There is a banner that pops up sometimes immediately under the main rectangle of changing ads/pics/offers. Sometimes it alerts you to an easy offer or gives you a link for videos to watch. Right now mine is about the Mashable vote, which gives you nothing special. Yours might be different.

ang79
11-11-2011, 01:25 PM
FYI for those that use the toolbar. I joined SB earlier this year and was earning a $5 Amazon card about every 1.5 mos. from just doing searches on the toolbar and getting special codes. My laptop started having issues (Firefox crashing, things running slowly, etc.) I had also been having problems with the battery not charging so figured it was just old and I got a new laptop in June (because I need a reliable computer for my WAHM job). I installed the toolbar again in Firefox and noticed that this new computer was also running slow and firefox kept crashing. DH suggested using Internet Explorer instead, so I started using that (and installed the SB toolbar). Same issues, but I didn't think much about it. Then one night my whole computer just crashed and shut down. Once DH got it running again I had lost all of my files, pics, etc. It took him a several nights to clean everything off it, there were soooo many Trojans and viruses on it (and I had only been using the computer for a few months). He eventually was able to find my lost files and pictures, they were hidden in other places on my computer and it took lots of digging. But we pretty much had to do a reset on the computer, then reinstall a bunch of stuff, then dig for all of the stuff I lost. I researched a bit online and found out that other people have had the same problems after installing the toolbar. DH doesn't think that the toolbar itself gave me the viruses, but he thinks it wasn't fully secure and that it let in bad stuff. I haven't had the slowness issues since deleting the toolbar and I won't be using it again. And I find it a pain to go to the swagbucks site to search from, so I don't really do much with SB anymore, unless they are having a special day with extra codes.

That's just my experience. I'm sure some people use the toolbar without problems, but its too risky in my book to download it again.

Melaine
11-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks ang79. I was thinking about this already and appreciate you sharing your experience. Once I saw what this was about, I did start having concerns. DH is wary of any kind of toolbar and is skeptical about SB already. I'll have to think about this.

azazela
11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks ang79. I was thinking about this already and appreciate you sharing your experience. Once I saw what this was about, I did start having concerns. DH is wary of any kind of toolbar and is skeptical about SB already. I'll have to think about this.

While a toolbar can be helpful I guess, the only thing you can get from the toolbar exclusively is that 1 swb per day for toolbar use. Everything else you can get elsewhere. Toolbars are generally bad news, virus-wise. I haven't had issues with this one but it's on a browser I didn't use much and I have a Mac. I did just uninstall it after reading PP's experience. I think there are many swagbucks to be gained without doing any shady offers - searching, codes, videos and FB apps (that you delete immediately after) will all give you lots of swagbucks over time.

ang79
11-11-2011, 04:37 PM

My DH mentioned several times that he didn't like having that toolbar there. And the funny thing was, if I searched through the toolbar, then I had no problems with the results pages. But if DH searched through yahoo or google, the search results showed up funny and the links didn't go to the right pages. I thought the computer was just being quirky because it has a super sensitive mouse pad and he wasn't used to using it! But then he read that that's a surefire way to tell that you've had trojans and what not put onto your computer.

So now he gets to say he told me so :( So glad he was able to recover my pics though, I about cried when I couldn't find 3 mos. of pics of the girls on my computer anymore!

Melaine
11-11-2011, 05:21 PM
While a toolbar can be helpful I guess, the only thing you can get from the toolbar exclusively is that 1 swb per day for toolbar use. Everything else you can get elsewhere. Toolbars are generally bad news, virus-wise. I haven't had issues with this one but it's on a browser I didn't use much and I have a Mac. I did just uninstall it after reading PP's experience. I think there are many swagbucks to be gained without doing any shady offers - searching, codes, videos and FB apps (that you delete immediately after) will all give you lots of swagbucks over time.

If I had a Mac, I probably wouldn't be concerned but we haven't had good luck with our PCs and viruses, I'll probably delete the toolbar also.

ett
11-11-2011, 06:14 PM

I don't download toolbars for anything either because of virus issues and just use swagbucks through their webpage.