PDA

View Full Version : How long to wait/When do you become annoying re: Job Application

ha98ed14
11-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I applied for a job forwarded to me by Mentor. The application had come to Mentor from Contact Person who requested Mentor to send it out to anyone he knew that was qualified. Mentor forwarded the email to me directly. I applied. Mentor even helped with checking my resume and cover letter. I am sure my application was as good as I could make it. I felt REALLY qualified for this job. I have relevant experience and a graduate degree in the field.

The job announcement said they would acknowledge receipt of application with a reply email. After I didn't receive one (36 hours), I emailed Mentor who told me to email Contact Person, introduce myself, and ask for confirmation of receipt. I did. Contact Person checked with the National Director that it was received. Both Contact Person and National Director emailed me that it had been received. That was exactly two weeks ago today. The job announcement said interviews would be done on a rolling basis. The application period closed on 10/28. The job starts 01/01/2012.

How long do I wait to email Contact Person and ask if they have started interviewing? I want to know if I have a chance at the job. The anxiety is killing me, but at the same time, I don't want to be annoying. I feel like I jumped the gun emailing Contact Person after only 36 hours, but I was expecting a response right away, like an out-of-office automatic email response. So since I think I might have annoyed them, I am hesitant to ask what stage the process is at because I don't want to be *THAT* annoying applicant who never gets the message.

But I am also not sure if they would contact every applicant and say, "You were not selected for an interview. Thank you for your interest." I mean, assuming they got 1000s of applications, I would think they would not email every singe rejected person to say "No."

Does it matter that Contact Person and Mentor are professional friends? FWIW, Contact Person would be the boss of this position. National Director is in D.C. and not local.

Thoughts? When can I contact them to follow up without being annoying? I would email Contact Person, NOT National Director.

egoldber
11-09-2011, 09:20 PM
What type of job is this? The government job hiring process is slow............

wellyes
11-09-2011, 09:21 PM
Is Contact Person the hiring manager or an HR rep?
If the former, don't. If the latter, no harm in calling.

ha98ed14
11-09-2011, 09:22 PM
What type of job is this? The government job hiring process is slow............

Non-profit policy org.

ha98ed14
11-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Is Contact Person the hiring manager or an HR rep?
If the former, don't. If the latter, no harm in calling.

I don't think either of them are HR people. The org is not that big. Apps were to be sent to National Director, BUT I imagine Contact Person would be in on the process as they will supervise this position.

BabyBearsMom
11-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I think after 2 weeks it is acceptable to follow up with an e-mail or phone call reiterating your enthusiasm about the position and saying that you look forward to discussing the position further in an interview. That way you are showing that you are proactive and truly interested in the position. If they don't respond or respond vaguely to that, I would probably lay off and assume that they didn't think I was a good fit.

wellyes
11-09-2011, 09:25 PM
In that case, I would not make any contact if they haven't requested an interview. These things can be sloooow and I know it's frustrating. But I think it will be more of a negative impression than positive if you contact them unrequested.

ha98ed14
11-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I think after 2 weeks it is acceptable to follow up with an e-mail or phone call reiterating your enthusiasm about the position and saying that you look forward to discussing the position further in an interview. That way you are showing that you are proactive and truly interested in the position. If they don't respond or respond vaguely to that, I would probably lay off and assume that they didn't think I was a good fit.

Should I wait until 2 weeks after I submitted my app or 2 weeks from the closing date?

BabyBearsMom
11-09-2011, 09:31 PM
Should I wait until 2 weeks after I submitted my app or 2 weeks from the closing date?

2 weeks after you last heard from then is probably fine. If the closing day was 10/28, you are pretty much at 2 weeks now.

ha98ed14
11-09-2011, 09:33 PM
2 weeks after you last heard from then is probably fine. If the closing day was 10/28, you are pretty much at 2 weeks now.

Any suggestions on how to phrase it?

ha98ed14
11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
In that case, I would not make any contact if they haven't requested an interview. These things can be sloooow and I know it's frustrating. But I think it will be more of a negative impression than positive if you contact them unrequested.

Man, this really does suck! The job starts 01/01/2012, so they have got to get moving on this I would think. But I don't want to make a bad impression, but on the other hand, I don't want to just sit here wondering. Ugh.

niccig
11-09-2011, 11:19 PM
Man, this really does suck! The job starts 01/01/2012, so they have got to get moving on this I would think. But I don't want to make a bad impression, but on the other hand, I don't want to just sit here wondering. Ugh.

Wheels turn slow..particularly if someone who needs to be in on decision was out of the office - illness, vacation, conference.

I would wait until a few weeks after it closed...they may wait to get all applications, even though they said they would do rolling interviews.

They could also push back the start-date if the process is taking them longer for whatever reason.

I think you need to sit on your hands...or find something else to do - do you knit?? ;)

I know it's frustrating and annoying to be in this limbo state.

wellyes
11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
I don't want to just sit here wondering.

Speaking as someone recently laid off and job hunting, all I can say is, I hear ya. Working is so much less stressful than looking for work.

ha98ed14
11-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Speaking as someone recently laid off and job hunting, all I can say is, I hear ya. Working is so much less stressful than looking for work.

*SO* true. I should be grateful I have some contract work to keep me busy this week and next, and then we have the Tgiving. I asked my boss if they would need me in Jan. (Nothing is happening b/t Tgiving and Christmas), and she said she did not know, so I am all the more eager to find something so I can keep my momentum going. This contract position was not originally pitched to me as temporary because they thought the project was going through next summer, but recent events mean that it will be cut short and my portion ends in 2011. If they don't need me for another element of the project then I am pretty much done. I don't want to stagnate! I was doing so well! This is my first position back in the professional world since staying home for 5 years!!! Ugh. Nicci, I hope I don't have to drag out the knitting needles. If I don't hear anything by the end of the week, maybe I will email Contact Person on Monday. At least, I will make that my goal: Hold out til Monday and then re-evaluate.