PDA

View Full Version : Quick sewing question - overlock stitch (on a normal sewing machine)

joules
11-09-2011, 11:52 PM
I have a very basic Brother sewing machine. I was reading the manual and it says it has an Overlock stitch. The picture of the stitch looks like a bunch of arrowheads laying next to each other.

#16 overlock stitch has the arrowheads pointing left
#17 overlock stitch has the arrowheads pointing right

Which way does the arrow point on my fabric? Does it point towards the cut/frayed hem or away from it?

I've only used straight stitches to make stuff like pillow cases. I'm so clueless!!

Thanks!

ellies mom
11-10-2011, 12:09 AM
I would say that the point of the arrow goes to the cut edge of the fabric because that is where it wraps around the edge of the fabric. I believe you need a special foot too.

joules
11-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks. I did this and kind of poked around and it seems to work. It looks secure and doesn't look like it will fray.

I am confused about the special foot. I see that I can purchase a special overlock foot. However in my instruction manual, on the very brief page that talks about the overlock stitch, it clearly shows the normal foot. I'm sure the stitch I used is not a true overlock stitch, but it does the job.

Oh and upon further inspection one of the overlock stitches is called the "stretch overlock" and the other is called the "elastic overlock", depending on where the arrow is pointing. huh? stretch and elastic seem like the same thing to me. haha.

jerigirl
11-10-2011, 09:30 PM
what machine do you have?

joules
11-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Brother XL2600I

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F7DPEQ/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

jerigirl
11-11-2011, 12:33 AM
You dont *have* to have the special foot to use the overlock stitches, but to make it more like a true serger stitch you need the foot. It helps you get right to the edge.

joules
11-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh. thanks for clarifying. I don't think I'll need one of those then, I don't make anything advanced enough for that.

jerigirl
11-11-2011, 12:45 AM
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/BL-OCF.php
This is the foot and in the description box is a pdf link that shows how to use it.