PDA

View Full Version : What's your Fave outfit for a snowy day?

California
11-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Those of you who are used to cold winters... what do you wear? If you had to narrow it down to two or three not-to-pricy winter outfits what would you choose? Head to toe. Favorite online brands? Good shoes? This may be obvious to you but for someone who grew up in a warm climate it is a mystery. And I always end up freezing in my SoCal "winter" jackets. Please share your secrets :loveeyes:.

ahisma
11-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Wool, wool, wool. Especially socks, mittens and hat.

Bogs boots.

LL Bean long coat. I have a shearling one that I never would have bought myself, but love. MIL bought it and found it too long.

California
11-10-2011, 01:53 AM
Any online store recommendations?

niccig
11-10-2011, 02:43 AM
We live in CA now, but having grown up in the tropics I can not tolerate MI winter when we visit ILs.

I picked up a calf length down coat - I went cheap at Costco as only wear it when visit.

I picked up a pair of sorrells - mine are standard ugly ones, but again I don't use them enough to warrant a more stylish pair. If I did, I would get Cate the Great.

I have a pair of gortex pants that used to wear when on dive boats and getting wet. They block wind/cold as well. I wear those over top of jeans when playing with DS in snow.

I say go for a great coat and warm boots.

My visits to ILs are much more pleasant temperature wise - that means, I will actually leave the house

MontrealMum
11-10-2011, 03:01 AM
May I ask where you're living now before I respond? I have suggestions for the Midwest (I grew up in MI) and suggestions for QC (and the rest of the NE) where I now live. And probably a few for the East coast. And they're vastly different :) I would not want to dress you like the abominable snowman if you're living in the southern part of the Midwest or the eastern seaboard or something.

California
11-10-2011, 03:32 AM
These outfits are travel clothes for trips. That's why I'm thinking two warm outfits to start with. This winter I'll be heading to a couple of little towns outside Salt Lake City where there will definitely be snow. I've got family all over the US (Chicago, Washington State, Colorado...) and where ever I travel it seems like they laugh at my California style clothes! And I'm cold!

mjs64
11-10-2011, 03:41 AM
I posted similar questions in 2 threads recently and got some great responses:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=415621

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=414368

niccig
11-10-2011, 03:46 AM
These outfits are travel clothes for trips. That's why I'm thinking two warm outfits to start with. This winter I'll be heading to a couple of little towns outside Salt Lake City where there will definitely be snow. I've got family all over the US (Chicago, Washington State, Colorado...) and where ever I travel it seems like they laugh at my California style clothes! And I'm cold!

We visit family in MI and in Colorado. With my long down coat and my snow boots, I can wear other clothes that I have. DH does the same and he lived in Detroit. It's normally jeans, long sleeve t-shirt and a sweater for inside. Then outside, add long down coat, snow boots, scarf, gloves, woolen hat. Snow pants if will be playing in snow.

I would go for a good pair of boots. I bought a pair from Target thinking cheaper as wouldn't wear too often, but they're not as comfortable or as warm. The Sorrel boots are heavy, but keep my feet warmer. I'm very sensitive to the cold - seriously, DH says "oh it's 75, you'll need a sweater" - so I went with the sorrells, that I got on sale. DH has had a pair for 20 years, so I'll get use out of them.