PDA

View Full Version : iRobot Roomba vacuum and dog hair?

Pinky
11-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Does anyone have one of those Roomba vacuums that does it all automatically? I've been wanting one for years and have never gotten one because I figured our dog hair would be too much for it. We have two medium size dogs that shed like crazy. Anyone have a Roomba and pets? What do you think of it?

overcome
11-10-2011, 10:18 AM
We do. We have a Siberian Husky=tons of hair. It doesn't replace regular vacuuming, IMHO. And it needs to be emptied often. I never use it but my DH loves it bc it's the beginning of the robot era. I should add....His standards of cleanliness are not the same as mine.

drako
11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
We have three boxers and a used to use the Roomba when I was working and the dogs were crated during the day. Now that I am a SAHM and the dogs are out all the time we don't use it since the dogs would attack it. But, I did love it since it vacuumed every day while we were at work. I agree that it doesn't replace regular vacuuming but it did help with the overwhelming amount of hair. I hate the feeling of the layer of fine dog hair under my feet which the roomba helped with. Now, I do the vacuuming daily but wish I had the roomba doing it!

Pinky
11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Thanks! And yes, I know what you mean by the fine layer of dog hair on your feet! (especially bad after getting out of the shower with slightly damp feet! LOL)

I missed out on the deal at Kohls recently but am going to keep my eye out for one.

erosenst
11-14-2011, 10:01 PM
We have one and LOVE it. Our dogs don't shed much...but DD and I do.

I think the key to whether you like it or not is if a) you're willing to use it daily and b) willing to empty it daily. It''s a habit for me to turn it on most days as I'm leaving the house, and empty it when I return. I don't find that a hassle in exchange for clean floors; some do.