PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to help DS sleep through train horns?

MSWR0319
11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
We lIve less than a mile from a train track, the trains are extremely loud. DS has been waking up at either 6:15 or 6:30 on the dot for the last few months. He's not ready to get up and obviously needs more sleep based on his behavior the rest of the day, but usually gets up because he can't fall back asleep. I've suspected a train but never noticed one before. This morning at 6:15 on the dot he wakes up screaming. I went in turned on his "fall asleep" music and he was out. At 6:30 he woke up agai. This time I was on the couch and sure enough it was an extremely loud train. There is a crossing right by us so they have to honk their horns. What should I do so he doesn't wake up? He only needs another 30min to an hour of sleep, but it really throws him off. Should I play some classical music or something all night? I don't want him to get where he can't sleep without something because he's always been a bad sleeper and we're finally getting somewhere. I just think if I could block that sound he'd sleep another hour and we'd all have a much better day. I have tried putting him to bed earlier but it doesn't work because he still naps.

hopeful_mama
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Maybe not what you're looking for, but better windows? We're less than a mile from a train station and have good double-paned windows throughout the house and it makes a huge difference. Even insomnia-prone me doesn't have trouble with the trains. We are on a passenger train line though (but busy - NE Corridor), I don't know if freight trains would be much worse.

npace19147
11-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Have you tried a noise machine? We have an inexpensive one from Conair turned to white noise and it helps block things out. We live in the city so have a lot of traffic noise.

JTsMom
11-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd go with some type of noise machine. I get your concern about him depending on it, but how often are you going to be in a situation where you couldn't bring it with you, kwim?

Simon
11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
We have a white noise machine that is also clock/alarm clock, etc. One option is to have the alarm go off as white noise. So, you could set it to go off at 6:10 or 6:00 am with white noise to block the train, but not have it running all night. Our alarm will run until it is turned off, so it would play through both trains and then you could turn it off when you wake up.

We have the Homedices Model SS-400B. Amazon shows it out of stock and it gets poor reviews there but we've been using it hours daily, plus regular travel by car and plane, for 21+months and it is still going strong. I am sure you could find something with similar features.

wendibird22
11-10-2011, 01:18 PM
We live one 2acre lot away from train tracks. We have a white noise machine and we've also used a fan. Neither girl hears the train. Our white noise machine is the basic $20 homedics spa sounds machine. We've had it for almost 5yrs and it works great.

lil_acorn
11-10-2011, 02:17 PM
I vote for a noise machine or with the cold weather / heat on, start the humidifier

MSWR0319
11-10-2011, 02:29 PM
Duh! Why didn't I think of a noise machine? We just built our house a little over a year ago and the windows are double pane, high quality so I don't think that's the problem. I grew up near trains so I don't hear them at all. He doesn't seem bothered by the ones that run at night, although I don't know that there are that many. I think I'll get a noise machine and try it out. Thanks!