PDA

View Full Version : s/o: moms of kids in non public schools

AnnieW625
11-10-2011, 03:34 PM
How is your school year going?

DD1 is in Catholic school, K-8.

So far kindergarten is going fine. Education wise I really think that it is what first grade was when I was in school, esp. math wise because they are doing adding of numbers up to 20. The first couple of weeks of handwriting were hard too. Socially she is doing okay and working on her shyness, but she still takes thing pretty personally, like the other day she took great offense that the two little boys she likes told her they didn't like her salami sandwich.

Her teacher is very old school, and has about 30 yrs. of teaching experience, but is amazing and nurturing at the same time, but definitely strict. I love the smaller scale of the school (there are 290 kids in k-8). Our public elementary schools are three times that size and only go through the 5th grade.

She is also joining daisy scouts.

niccig
11-10-2011, 03:41 PM
DS is doing great in grade 1. I was a little worried about the class make up, but the teacher is quite strict and has it all under control. DS's K was play based, so this is his first year of more academic work. I've been surprised by how much he's already learned in reading, writing, science, math. He never wanted to do any of the class presentations at the All School Meetings, as too shy to be up in front of people. The teacher has worked with putting him at east and this week he's getting up to p/f part of a skit.

I went to a Math night at the school and sat in the grade 1/2 presentation by the teacher of the other class. I would still have preferred her as DS's teacher but I think we'll be fine. Math is my only concern, so we're making sure he's got the basics covered. My sister struggled with Math and missed out on a lot of early concepts, so just want to make sure that doesn't happen with DS.

MelissaTC
11-10-2011, 04:45 PM
M is also in a pre-K - 8 Catholic school.

This school year started off a little rough but he has found his groove and things are going well. He is loving band and playing the clarinet. I can't wait to see him perform in the Christmas concert. He feels like music is his thing and he loves it. He is learning two instruments (piano too) and is excelling at both. I am glad that he has gained such confidence in himself.

giavila
11-11-2011, 01:13 AM
DD1 is in second grade at a private Catholic school. This year has been going really well overall. At first it was really stressful because the workload and expectations definitely increased this year. It's a big step up from first grade and I think the teacher is doing a good job of challenging the kids. Her teacher is wonderful.. I'm really happy with her. We had our parent/teacher conference yesterday and I walked away feeling that she really knows my child. DD1 is having a lot of fun this year and excelling in her academics. We also seem to be doing a decent job of balancing the extra curricular activities. It's our third year at this school and I love the community feel and small size... it has been working out great for us.

Melanie
11-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Doing great! My eldest is in 4th at Waldorf and we continue to be thrilled. He loves school, loves to learn, enjoys his classmates and is slowly coming back to seeing not just the negative side of life (a normal 9 yo trait). I rather enjoy and look forward to our parent conferences and parent meetings in that class, so that's a good sign. ;)

For Dd this is sort of an 'easy' year (for the parents, too...LOL), her second in kindergarten (normal for Waldorf as children must be 6 the spring before first grade so they generally go for two years). They do more and have more responsibilities than last year, nuture and help the first years. They are starting first grade assessments but it's also play-based and low-stress for the kids. I don't think they really know they are being assessed, though my munchkin is rather sharp and aware so she will probably figure it out. Her teacher sees some of her difficult areas slowly improving and we are on the road to First Grade. Mostly I'm crossing-my-fingers that the right teacher will come for First Grade next year.

lmwbasye
11-11-2011, 01:29 AM
DS1 is in 1st grade in a Montessori. This is his second year in the school but his first in the elementary level. There are 35 kids 1st through 5th all combined. We had a rough start on some things, but long story short, I fought for my view on things and now 1st graders no longer have homework. He is happy there and I feel that he is in the best possible place we could have found for him in this city.

That being said, we are very much looking forward to moving in the summer.