PDA

View Full Version : question re: therapist

lmh2402
11-10-2011, 03:53 PM
we've got new insurance. i want to find a therapist who is covered by our plan. the list of names is...overwhelming.

any tips for how weed through without trying to google 500+ names? FTR, i've googled a bunch and so far not much info turns up on google anyway, other than their office location.

thanks

DrSally
11-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Look at their specialities, credentials, etc. If you can't get a personal referral, start calling some and having a brief conversation about thei approach, what you're looking for, etc. If they or you don't think they would be a good fit, they can often give you names of people who might be better fit.

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd ask at his preschool. Odds are they have had other kids use therapists and would have heard good and bad. Or ask your pediatrician.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
11-10-2011, 03:58 PM
i've used the Psychology Today "find a therapist" tool when i needed to find a therapist. i just entered my zipcode, and then on the left tab in the "insurance" category just selected my insurance so it would only list the therapists who accepted that. then i narrowed it down further when i saw their speciality, etc..

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

LMPC
11-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Look at their specialities, credentials, etc. If you can't get a personal referral, start calling some and having a brief conversation about thei approach, what you're looking for, etc. If they or you don't think they would be a good fit, they can often give you names of people who might be better fit.

This is what I was going to suggest. Funny that more of them don't have websites. The group I work with has a website so that people can read a little about each of us before calling.

DrSally
11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh, is it for DC? Then, I might ask the school counselor or a trusted teacher if there is a child therapist with a good reputation. Also, peds are good resources for this as well.

lmh2402
11-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh, is it for DC? Then, I might ask the school counselor or a trusted teacher if there is a child therapist with a good reputation. Also, pecs are good resources for this as well.

thanks, everyone

no, this is for me

DS already has his $300/hr, doesn't-take-insurance weekly psychologist appt

now i need mine

but i need it to be covered as all our money goes to the myriad of DS' therapy appts

HonoluluMom
11-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I'd ask my doctor (or if you know anyone in the medical community that you respect - perhaps your DS's psychologist) for some recommendations.

DrSally
11-10-2011, 05:11 PM
I'd ask my doctor (or if you know anyone in the medical community that you respect - perhaps your DS's psychologist) for some recommendations.

Also a very good idea.

mackmama
11-10-2011, 08:30 PM
i've used the Psychology Today "find a therapist" tool when i needed to find a therapist. i just entered my zipcode, and then on the left tab in the "insurance" category just selected my insurance so it would only list the therapists who accepted that. then i narrowed it down further when i saw their speciality, etc..

http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

:yeahthat: You'll be able to get a feel for them as a person and how they practice by reading their PT profile.

Pilotbaby
11-10-2011, 08:35 PM
You might want to see if you can narrow it down by specialties and pick someone who specializes in the issue(s) you are seeking help for. Also, consider whether or not it matters to you to have a male or female. You might want to also see what theoretical orientations they practice as there may be some you don't feel comfortable with. For example, are you looking for someone to give you direct feedback or just to listen. I'm a therapist myself and would be happy to answer any questions you have:)